Why no gallery in the new Lollipop update?

DavenazN5

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I too really missed Gallery, and there wasn't an apk here, so I found one along with the apks for a bunch of other KitKat apps at this link (would link it, but as this is my first post I am not allowed to)

androidcentral.us/2014/01/download-android-4-4-kitkat-stock-apps-for-your-android/

Crosswhite17

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why no gallery in new lollipop update

I agree. To use photos I have to sign in to Google+. I don't use Google+ and so disabled it in KitKat. Put the gallery app back in please Google. I thought android gave users choice about what we install. Android is becoming more closed than ios.

Posted via the Android Central App

gurupavan

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly I'm feeling the same
No gallery
White background is confusing
Mobile is completely slow
From recent call logs, if I select "call again" then mobile us getting hanged, calls are not triggering

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

I've tried QuickPic. Honestly, it's not any better than Photos in my opinion. Gallery would still be my choice.

phelme

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Updated my Nexus 5 yesterday to 5.0 and the Photos app sees none of my images from any directory. Yep, tried going to "On device" from the menu, but that didn't help. QuickPic see them as normal, most are under the /sdcard/DCIM/ directory. Is this possibly because I didn't turn on the auto backup feature for Google+ and Photos never "saw" them in the first place?

I tried another Gallery app that's relatively up-to-date (Gallery KK) and it like Photos, doesn't see anything. Well not entirely true, if I take a NEW picture, both Photos & Gallery KK see that, but again none of the pre-existing ones.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing it's a mediaserver/mediascanner issue, but none of the rescan apps I've tried seem to be happy with Lollipop, they all crash so I'm guessing there's been some OS change there.

EDIT: fixed by deleting data for Media Storage and rebooting. :)

Last edited:

Scappz

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

I downloaded a gallery app since google photos is so bad... QuickPic is really good if you liked the Kitkat gallery.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

The problem with side loading the older gallery app is it probably won't get supported anymore

llanita

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If y'all would only read my post you would have got my link to play store Gallery OK its the old Gallery from KitKat. I installed it and it works. I now have Gallery on my nexus 10

bijay behera

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

Yes, Photos replaces Gallery. If you take a screenshot and go to Photos, you should see it immediately in the "All" view. And if you swipe in from the left and select "On Device," you should see it under the Screenshots heading.
Very true and helpful thanks

Angela Hill4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

Been debating the switch to pictures anyway. Some things I like it for, others I don't. The repeat shots of different posts to different social media being the main problem. Probably will just get used to it and after a couple weeks won't be a big deal.

Posted via the Android Central App

Agreed

alpsalps

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

It's strange all of you are not pointing out the biggest problem in new photos. YOU CANT SELECT ALL PICTURES IN ONE SHOT like in gallery we could press and hold the folder and all were selected. In photos there is a button to select but when you do it only select the in screen pics and when you expand the folder the button vanishes and rest of pics are not selected. Then you have to manually select pics one by one. What the hell. Anyone has a clue?????????!

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site

After reading the AC blog on the best apps, I've started using Piktures, it looks a lot nicer than Google's Photos app and you can hide folders you don't need to see.

Posted via Android Central App

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I too really missed Gallery, and there wasn't an apk here, so I found one along with the apks for a bunch of other KitKat apps at this link (would link it, but as this is my first post I am not allowed to)

androidcentral.us/2014/01/download-android-4-4-kitkat-stock-apps-for-your-android/

Thanks for this! I was using quickpic but I love the old Gallery app more. You can crop an image in like two seconds without all the extra steps in QuickPic or Photos

Dan Cojocaru

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I do NOT like Photos.I don't like QuickPic either. I wish they'd just add Gallery back. So far it's the thing I dislike most about 5.0.
I found on Google Play the old Froyo Gallery and is way better that KitKat one...
Just take a look and you'll like it!
com.omichsoft.gallery
No links allowed yet, search the package name on Play, you should find it...

bblakes

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

B. Diddy, I have similar frustration with Photo app. I have the layout you describe relative to albums, but only the photos that are on Drive show up as albums and the album names are pre-named by date and not editable Is this all the functionality available?

Thanks for advice. Up to this point I didn't think my Nexus 5 phone was working correctly.

B-