Why no gallery in the new Lollipop update?

paulgmathew

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Why no gallery in new lollipop update

Im using Nexus 5 and updated my Os to Android 5.0. The new update doesn't have gallery in it. I have to install third party software to use as gallery. Please solve the issue of WIFI direct

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why no gallery in new lollipop update

Welcome to Android Central! It looks like Google may have finally phased out the original Gallery app in favor of Photos. If you don't like the Photos app, then QuickPic is a good alternative.

miralvyas

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

Right.. No gallery... Also getting error message 'check your phone date'while using many apps... Overall phone speed has also reduced... KitKat was better.. Also with this white background, many notifications are hidden and not visible as the carry white fonts

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

I've just tried QuickPic. It is nice that it now allows access to my Picasa albums, which was missing before. The problem, though, is that it shows a bunch of folders labelled with dates ("11-19-2014," for instance) that are not albums. They should not show up IMO - there are just too many of them. You can manually deselect them when you sign in first, but that's a cumbersome process. I'm afraid I'll have to stick with Photos for now.

nexus89

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

So all photos are under photos now?? Before I would take screenshots and I would go to gallery and view under folder titled screenshot, when I would post a pic on Instagram there would be an Instagram folder where the picture would end up as well. Everything is going to show up on photos now?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes, Photos replaces Gallery. If you take a screenshot and go to Photos, you should see it immediately in the "All" view. And if you swipe in from the left and select "On Device," you should see it under the Screenshots heading.

Andrew Miller8

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

"All" view. And if you swipe in from the left and select "On Device," you should see it under the Screenshots heading.

I ONLY have "All" heading and "Highlights" (which is empty) How do I get this "on device" header...ALL my photos are on device!

I Really want some sort of sub folder ability or something! this sucks.. I took a photo this morning and shared it on facebook and instagram ...now I have three identical photos beside each other in the list....how is that useful?

the fact that my phone used to sort them into instagram/whatsapp/camera/download etc. was crazy useful

Why the hell would they change this and make it less useful?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

I ONLY have "All" heading and "Highlights" (which is empty) How do I get this "on device" header...ALL my photos are on device!
Tap on the menu icon located on the top left corner of the Photos app. That should open the left-side menu bar that includes "Photos," "Stories," etc. Scroll down the bar, and you will see "On Device" and "Trash" at the bottom.

xban1

May 29, 2014
Visit site

QuickPic is the best photo app, you can ever hide folders !

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! On Device isn't a header. It's in the menu when you swipe in from the left--have you done that? It's at the bottom of the menu, right above Trash. When you look at the On Device photos, you'll see the various folders.

xDonJuanx

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I do NOT like Photos.I don't like QuickPic either. I wish they'd just add Gallery back. So far it's the thing I dislike most about 5.0.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! My N5 is working very smoothly so far on Lollipop. I did my customary cache partition wipe right after the update, so you might want to try the same. Bear in mind that the process takes 5-10 minutes on the N5. http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html
I usually do the same but opted to perform a factory reset instead. I don't need to do a partition wipe as well do I?

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I do NOT like Photos.I don't like QuickPic either. I wish they'd just add Gallery back. So far it's the thing I dislike most about 5.0.

As someone else mentioned, you can manually install the Gallary app that came with KitKat on Lollipop. It doesn't show the online pictures in my case, but if that's okay with you...

dduniam

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As someone else mentioned, you can manually install the Gallary app that came with KitKat on Lollipop. It doesn't show the online pictures in my case, but if that's okay with you...

I tried to do that, but I couldn't find it to install. Where can I get it from please ?
The reason I like the original Gallery is because I use Media Organizer, which works brilliantly with Gallery.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I tried to do that, but I couldn't find it to install. Where can I get it from please ?
The reason I like the original Gallery is because I use Media Organizer, which works brilliantly with Gallery.

Do you have another Android device that runs KitKat (or older)? If so, the app file (called Gallery.apk or Gallery2.apk) is found in the /system/app folder. Otherwise, I can send mine to you one way or another.

dduniam

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you have another Android device that runs KitKat (or older)? If so, the app file (called Gallery.apk or Gallery2.apk) is found in the /system/app folder. Otherwise, I can send mine to you one way or another.

Thank you!! Yep, I have 2 other devices I can get it from.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Been debating the switch to pictures anyway. Some things I like it for, others I don't. The repeat shots of different posts to different social media being the main problem. Probably will just get used to it and after a couple weeks won't be a big deal.

Posted via the Android Central App

kattara

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Could you please send me the apk? I really miss this app and I don't have another device with kitkat anymore. Thank you!!