auto screen brightness + slider ... makes sense ?

bagou01

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi
something bothers me a bit in lollipop. I always have my screen brightness set to auto adjust.
since lollipop i get a brightness slider in the quick settings... however, even with screen set to auto, i still can move the slider to adjust... which makes no sense according to me?
i mean, i set my brightness to auto, then move the slider full right, then the screen is full bright, but the widget still says auto... is this a bug? or is it still "auto" but brighter ? or what?

bagou01

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
no
not at all, and i even got the feeling that the brightness is not anymore set to auto, even though the widget says it is.
i tried hiding sensors with my fingers and putting it next to my lamp, but screen didn't change brightness...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that the slider essentially lets you set the mid point of the range used by Adaptive Brightness. In other words, if you set the slider to the 50% mark, Adaptive Brightness will auto adjust the actual brightness to a level between 30 and 70%.

If you set the slider to 80%, then Adaptive Brightness will use a range of 60% to 100%,

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
no
not at all, and i even got the feeling that the brightness is not anymore set to auto, even though the widget says it is.
i tried hiding sensors with my fingers and putting it next to my lamp, but screen didn't change brightness...

Go to Settings -> Display and make certain that Adaptive brightness is enabled.

butterfly210

May 8, 2014
Visit site
With all the bugs and features being removed I hope when lollipop is released for note 4 Samsung get this itch right!!

*My Sexy Note 4*

rasterize

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Apparently Verizon GS5 didn't get adaptive brightness. We're stuck with a now modified auto brightness that biases waaay too low. Grrrrrr

EMarioC2015

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Okay this is all less than clear at least for me. I have discovered how it does works with the help of folks on this tread and what I tried and found for myself.

1. Set Display to Adaptive
2. While still in the Display setting
3. Select Brightness
4. Uncheck Automatic brightness
5. Select a brightness by using that slider
6. When done Check the Automatic brightness box
7. Backout of the setting menu
8. Place the phone in a dark place (just under your desk maybe)
9. Give it a 15 seconds and watch the screen get dimmer (depending on where you set the auto brightness slider in #5)
10. Remove the phone from the dark place to a bright or brighter place (on my desk for me)
11. Watch it get brighter!

Still experimenting but this does get a response of the display changing based on light bouncing off the screen

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I really love the new system: it lets you choose the relative brightness level you're comfortable with while still allowing auto-adjustment. Simple, easy.

robertebrown94306

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S4. I can't get reasonable brightness
no matter what I do...and I think this problem began when AT&T downloaded
Lollipop 5.01.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: adaptive brightness

From using my Moto G and experimenting with quickly switching between adaptive with the slider at various levels and different values of fixed manual brightness I don't think the adaptive slider is setting a 'midway' I think it is setting a minimum for adaptive brightness.

Flissa

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Just upgraded my Samsung Core Prime - no brightness control at all. Couldnt get any response from slider and stuck with very bright screen and eating battery life. Soooooo went to Playstore and searched for free brightness control apps. Installed the first suggestion and it works beautifully. My old slider is back and I have perfect control again! Simples.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan