Dark Theme in Lollipop is on its way.

Tyrane Lewis

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I hope the dark theme settings come soon? we are on 5.1.1 and its August 26 2015 and we still have these eye hurting, battery draining bright themes for messenger and dialer. Any word on a real ETA of the update? thanks

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I hope the dark theme settings come soon? we are on 5.1.1 and its August 26 2015 and we still have these eye hurting, battery draining bright themes for messenger and dialer. Any word on a real ETA of the update? thanks

Don't think it's going to happen.
Google has moved on to the development of 6.0 Marshmallow! Maybe then we will get a dark theme!

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

How about really dark glasses to protect your eyes? I'm old with bad eyes and having my brightness set to a little below the halfway point is sufficient for me. The battery works for me, too. But, I will admit. I don't play games.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
All Google needs to do is incorporate an OS wide Night mode. Seriously how hard can that be?
Also i am still on KitKat and i hate the bright white background in the messages app and the Gmail app.It kills my eyes using it in complete darkness. So its not like Kitkat doesn't have some annoying white stuff as well but atleast it doesn't have it anywhere else.

Vasilisa Chugunova

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I also incidentally got in this trap, I absolutely agree with Jalopiejoe. lollipop is awful, I don't take out it!! the white background, wild colors, fast is discharged batteries , I in rage!! I am going to return kitkat!!
hello everybody from Russia)

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Google loves white themes and like to make everything look kid like even thought they are the exact opposite of kid friendly. Just look at Safesearch and Youtube kids not kid friendly but that is another rant.

Still even if they don't want to do a dark theme why can't they allow third party developers to make dark themes without rooting. You can use custom launchers but the white themes in there apps and settings is terrible. I also choose the darkest theme possible on third party apps (like Textra) if the app itself allows it

JLiRD808

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm only at 5 posts, so I can't post links. If u Google "Dark Theme Marshmallow" you will see lots of stories about how Google has DISABLED the dark theme AGAIN!!!

What is the fkn problem with dark theme??? I don't get why giving us the option is so forbidden, especially for us with anoled screens (and night time users)!!!

Hufsetufsen

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm visually impaired, and have been a Iphone 4s user for four years. Due to moving to another tele provider, and had to change sim card, I was forced to Upgrade from my well functioning ios 5.1 to ios 9.01. This made my phone to a lightening bomb, just white backgrounds, Keyboards, dialer and more. The Accessibility went below zero. I was just to change to android, but as I read, and realiaze, the same **** has happened to the last android Lollipop!
I can see that there are lots of People here hating the white backgrounds, and I can tell you all that most visually impaired People have great trouble using this Interface! That is: both Apple ad Google are discriminating visually impaired People With this layout. This is far from universal design, which is statutory in the us and many other countries.
Guess I have to wait another while before changing to android. :-(
ps: sorry for my bad English!

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I can't find anything like this in "Settings". Please help!

There's nothing like that if you use the stock Android. Some custom ROMs support the Theme Engine, in which case the "Themes" menu appears somewhere in the Settings menu. At least that's my recollection from 5.1.1, and I don't think that has changed with 6.0

WatDis

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
A year later.... nothing. Lollipop white theme is so repulsive to me that I moved back to kitkat. Yes, stagefright vulnerable kitkat. I'm willing to sacrifice my security than put up with the horrific lollipop. Its almost like the lead designers in google are trying trying to sabotage their own company.

sharon harvey

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I felt the same about Lollipop also... hated the white UI. My left eye is half blind and has high sensitivity to light. I can so relate to these complaints when it comes to sight issues. As a resort I use 3rd party apps with dark themes for replacement. I could root but I'm not tech savvy enough for that yet. 😊 It would be nice if they made a settings feature for dark theme . I'll send a request using my settings feedback feature. However at this rate I don't think it's going to happen.

Nexus 6p

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

sharon harvey

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
What kind of phone do you have? If Samsung I've read from other bloggers that you can obtain a dark theme for this through their app store. If another phone... no options besides rooting and custom rom.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrishka

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I actually logged back in for the second time ever just to join this chat about just how utterly pants the Lollipop update is!! I'm soooo annoyed that it muscled it's way onto my phone and then took it upon itself to make some pretty dam major changes to things I was perfectly happy with before. That really sucks bigtime. I have no issues with new functions, but at least make the damn things optional - not force them to take over your phone and change settings you don't want changing - particularly if there's no way to change them back!

I had a major panic once the update finished as it had automatically set my phone to some stupid power saving mode where it was so faint, I could barely see the screen. It took substantial Google research to figure out what had happened and how to fix it. This just isn't acceptable. I don't expect my phone to be in a worse position after an update than before!

And this bright white background theme is rubbish. I need snow goggles to be able read stuff. BRING ON THE DARK THEME ALREADY!!!

And I also don't like the new overlapped version of the pull down summary screen. Why the hell mess with something that was nice and clear and useable and make it so messy??

Really REALLY not impressed with this update at all :mad:

Oh! Oh!

ETA:

And....I stupidly hoped that the one useful thing that might happen with the update is it would pick up and clear out the awful worm/popup thing that keeps popping up web pages on my phone. It's been happening for months and I can't find any sensible way to fix it without a full factory reset, which I'm not prepared to do. But noooo. Popups still popping up! :(

Last edited:

c5quar3d

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I think that dark theme must have gotten lost "on it's way" maybe some one should send out a search party. I own an A5 so, no theme store for me. If one more ahole suggests I invert the colors....I will punch them in the face! I have only had this phone for a month and all this damn white crap is frying my retinas and giving me migraines. the damn thing came with lollipop so I don't even have the option to roll back to kitkat. I shouldn't have to root my device just to get a dark interface!!!!!! GGGGrrrrrr,,,sorry for the rant but I needed to get that out. Anyway is there any hope for a dark theme actually getting released?