Dark Theme in Lollipop is on its way.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have spoken with a Google UI Engineer who has confirmed a dark theme for Lollipop is coming more aligned with the darker themed material design of the keyboard.

"Dark theme is coming... Just like the material dark theme keyboard". No, I don't have an ETA for it, sorry. But at least we know it's coming. I asked if this was something I needed to keep quiet about and he said no because everyone's already thinking it anyway.

I figured I'd make this its own post so it would more easily be seen by everyone who is upset with the brightness of Lollipop, since that seems to be such a large amount of users here.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
He's a pretty fun and silly guy, but when it comes to Android updates he's been right on the money with everything he's said to me so far. :) They recently updated about ten or so smilies for 5.0, but I've been away from the internet for long periods of time during my days lately, so I'm not sure if AC ran a piece on it or not. The angel, the baby the dancing man with a rose, one of the smiling smilies, etc... santa even has a slight change—a smile on his face, now.

My point is, he told me that was coming a couple days before, and then *boom*, it hit my phone. :)

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
He's a pretty fun and silly guy, but when it comes to Android updates he's been right on the money with everything he's said to me so far. :) They recently updated about ten or so smilies for 5.0, but I've been away from the internet for long periods of time during my days lately, so I'm not sure if AC ran a piece on it or not. The angel, the baby the dancing man with a rose, one of the smiling smilies, etc... santa even has a slight change—a smile on his face, now.

My point is, he told me that was coming a couple days before, and then *boom*, it hit my phone. :)
Thanks for the great info! Now, do you happen to know how Lollipop will allow the user to choose different themes? I know we can choose different themes on the app-by-app level, but on the OS level? I hope it will be like the Theme Engine so that the third-party developers can create custom themes for the stock Lollipop.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the great info! Now, do you happen to know how Lollipop will allow the user to choose different themes? I know we can choose different themes on the app-by-app level, but on the OS level? I hope it will be like the Theme Engine so that the third-party developers can create custom themes for the stock Lollipop.

No clue! Interesting question though. I'll see what I can get out of him. :)

iacvavilia

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Are they going to make a decent calendar and replace those flat icons and flat design in general? this new one is really a hell. Hate it! like 90% of the rest of the lollipop tho : / very disappointing thing,, especially when it comes from google. First time in my life I started considering iPhone....

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Are they going to make a decent calendar and replace those flat icons and flat design in general? this new one is really a hell. Hate it! like 90% of the rest of the lollipop tho : / very disappointing thing,, especially when it comes from google. First time in my life I started considering iPhone....

I love the new calendar. Its so much better than the last one. They better not change it.

Posted via the Android Central App

xban1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I love the new calendar. Its so much better than the last one. They better not change it.

The new calendar is [language removed by Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbbab

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Having seen lollipop on you tube it doesn't look very appealing to me, visually. Being on an older model (S4) I expect to stay with kitkat. I've also heard from others that there are some serious app issues. Being pretty new to Android (loving it) I have to ask. Don't the developers get a developer version of a new os so they can be ready for launch?

Samsung Galaxy S4 And 4.4.2 Switched from Z10 July 26.2014

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that's why there was the Android L Developer Preview available for installation starting about 2 months ago. But even then, it can be hard for devs to know about any last minute tweaks to the final build before it rolls out officially to everyone.

bubbbab

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks that makes sense. I wonder if the massive change in looks is possibly to over shadow not having many functional enhancements. Maybe I'm paranoid having been through the BlackBerry 10 debacle :)

Samsung Galaxy S4 And 4.4.2 Switched from Z10 July 26.2014

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry guys, I asked but he doesn't have any further information regarding how exactly it will be implemented or whether it will be as soon as 5.01 or what.

Posted via Android Central App

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys, I asked but he doesn't have any further information regarding how exactly it will be implemented or whether it will be as soon as 5.01 or what.
Hey, thank you much for asking. I will just wait and see what happens. Lack of a dark theme is a nice-to-have thing to me - lack of it won't kill me. :)

iamstevie

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Hey Jonneh
Sorry to be a pain, but would you happen to have any updates on this? I found the amount of white in KitKat to be excessive, so you can imagine Lollipop would not be great for me in this regard!

Cheers!
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance