Lollipop Update is junk

bubbbab

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
If it even gets released for the S4 I don't think I'll try it. I really don't like the look of it. Each there own I guess.

Samsung Galaxy S4 And 4.4.2 Switched from Z10 July 26.2014

Anthony Hagger

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 Wi-Fi 2013 and I have not gotten the update. I really am on the fence about getting it. I also have a droid turbo and am somewhat thankful that VZW and Moto will be awhile before I get it on the Turbo as they can fix the bugs and improve the things they messed up. I can live with a messed up N7 but would be seriously tick if my phone is messed up.

Stay clear to many bugs, its playing havoc with my nexus 7 (2012)

m0rgan

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm finding the update problematic. However I'm not bothered by apps crashes (I have one or two) as that is really the app developer's problem. I also am not convinced on a lot of the UI design (e.g. keyboard) but that's a matter of taste and generally you get used to new design.

However, for my use of a phone, I find there is a significant degrading in functionality that has made this a problem. These issues concern me more because they won't be fixed in a patch as they would requrie a decision to reinstate which probably won't happen.

My biggest issues so far (after about 4 days on Nexus 5)....
- The ability to switch to airplane mode from the lockscreen by using the power button menu is gone - you can only power off when you hit the power button
- The ability to go into silent mode from the power button menu
- The inability to go into silent mode at all. The only option is to go into "no notifications" mode which not only stops calls but also everythign else
- Access to settings now requires multiple swipes from home screen
- Gallery app has gone and now all photos have to be managed from "Photos" - essentially local photo app replaced with G+ image management
- No ability to just have notifications on status bar. The choice is no notificaitons on lock screen, notification on lock screen with no information (which puts a big block of empty space on your lock screen) or full notifications on lockscreen (which puts up the same block on teh lockscreen but now anybody can read your text / email etc). I prefer the lockscreen remain discreet with no information and just the icon to show that there is a message. That option isn't available
- You need to multiple swipe to get rid of notification pane once you go into interim settings i.e. swipe down twice - swipe up twice. I'm unsure on the interim settings screen as most of what I need there was available on the power button menu.
- I'm not sure if this is me or Lollipop - I found my contacts app had been removed (like the Gallery app). I was able to find it in the store and redownload - that one was wierd.

Overall - if I could I would go back - but not for the bugs or app issues (they are less important for me) - but core functionality in things I use day-to-day has been badly affected - if I wanted to be this micro managed into a walled community I'll but an iPhone

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
- The ability to switch to airplane mode from the lockscreen by using the power button menu is gone - you can only power off when you hit the power button
You can do a two-finger swipe to bring down the quick toggles, and then toggle the Airplane mode there. You can do this whether or not the screen is locked. In fact, a single-finger swipe will do that when the screen is locked.

- Access to settings now requires multiple swipes from home screen
Not if you consider a two-finger swipe a single action. :)

Nova Launcher lets you assign gestures to actions. I assign "swipe up" to opening the Settings menu.

Overall - if I could I would go back - but not for the bugs or app issues (they are less important for me) - but core functionality in things I use day-to-day has been badly affected - if I wanted to be this micro managed into a walled community I'll but an iPhone
Now, this is the beauty of Android as opposed to the closed wall world of Apple. You can use third-party tools to customize your phone - launchers, power tools, custom widgets, etc. You could try a custom ROM as well. I am using a custom ROM named Cataclysm, which already allows you to bring down the quick toggles with a single-finger swipe, clear all recent apps with one tap, reboot the phone from the power menu, etc.

tchocky77

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I have a 2013 N7, that's still on 4.4.4. MY question is,...should I have gotten the OTA by now? I'm actually okay with waiting, in light of all the problems I'm reading about. But my problem is that my tablet is rooted. I rooted it when I got impatient several weeks ago now. I quit when I found that I needed a Windows computer for the method I was looking at and that I needed to install all kinds of Android tools on my Mac to do anything with it. SO I factory-reset the Nexus, but Root Checker Basic says I still have Root Access. Will this PREVENT me from getting the OTA? I'm reading that it might. But then again it might not. As near as I can tell,....there is NO WAY for me to know if my device WOULD have gotten the OTA by now or not?

What a mess. Any help?

jaytee

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
My wife's N7 (2012) was OTA'ed and is running just dandy. Facebook, gmail, words with friends, chrome, chromecast, hbo-go, etc...

YMMV...

jaytee

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
My wife's N7 (2012) was OTA'ed and is running just dandy. Facebook, gmail, words with friends, chrome, chromecast, hbo-go, etc...

YMMV...

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Thousands of bricked N7 devices lie resting because of the 5.0 OTA. Beware.

Probably because Asus and its quality control (hardware) sucks. Since the launch of the N7, only a handful of them works properly. Meanwhile the others like mine, needs to be sent back to Asus for repairs. I opted not to BC I didn't want to pay for shipping and having to wait for it to be returned back.

I'm pretty sure the problems for the N7 is BC the hardware can't handle it.

Posted via the Android Central App

tchocky77

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Probably because Asus and its quality control (hardware) sucks. Since the launch of the N7, only a handful of them works properly. Meanwhile the others like mine, needs to be sent back to Asus for repairs. I opted not to BC I didn't want to pay for shipping and having to wait for it to be returned back.

I'm pretty sure the problems for the N7 is BC the hardware can't handle it.

Well wouldn't that be Google's problem? They are Nexus devices, after all.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm just another voice in the wind that will be forgotten by the time you pass this post,

but, from what I have seen about lolliFlop, I am going to avoid it at all costs.

I just don't need the hassle of going through weeks of relearning an OS for my phone.

It works perfectly the way it is, why throw out a good thing with the dish water?

MetalMike901

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
You know I keep seeing people having massive issues with 5.0 all over the place which had me scared with 3 Nexus devices getting the update. But, so far two of my Nexus 4s have been updated via OTA, with no reset, nothing lost, or changed and on both devices lollipop is running so smooth, better than KitKat IMO. I love the update so far! Now my Nexus 7-12 has yet to get the update, we'll see there, but I don't get all the negativity for this update. It has been almost flawless in my experience.

Posted via Android Central App with my Lollipop Nexus 4 on Cricket

edwardmead

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lollipop Update is junk YES

i hate tyhe current status of lolipop
3 of my major apps either crashed or say not usable go to web version. then my outlook emails were all put into gmail and eliminated my search capability
my battery life is less than half what it was two weeks ago.
qq has totally crashed
no solutions , can not communicate with friends
sad

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
You know I keep seeing people having massive issues with 5.0 all over the place which had me scared with 3 Nexus devices getting the update. But, so far two of my Nexus 4s have been updated via OTA, with no reset, nothing lost, or changed and on both devices lollipop is running so smooth, better than KitKat IMO. I love the update so far! Now my Nexus 7-12 has yet to get the update, we'll see there, but I don't get all the negativity for this update. It has been almost flawless in my experience.

Posted via Android Central App with my Lollipop Nexus 4 on Cricket
To be fair, the N7 2012 is the device that's having the most problems with the update. I flashed mine back to KitKat. You might change your mind when it hits your N7.

My Nexus 5 is running perfectly fine with Lollipop.

FreeFool

May 3, 2013
Visit site
- No ability to just have notifications on status bar. The choice is no notificaitons on lock screen, notification on lock screen with no information (which puts a big block of empty space on your lock screen) or full notifications on lockscreen (which puts up the same block on teh lockscreen but now anybody can read your text / email etc). I prefer the lockscreen remain discreet with no information and just the icon to show that there is a message. That option isn't available

This is a good point. I would like an icon signifying an event has happened not necessarily displaying the text. As it did in KK.

Pheelco

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi -- I'm new to Android, having recently emigrated from the Windows Phone universe. So I am not up to see on the technical stuff as yet. I have two questions that some of you old salts might be able to help me out with.

1. Should I get Lollipop on my Moto G (2013) or stick with KitKat? Sounds like people have had very different experiences with this upgrade - any Moto G owners here who got Lollipop?

2. If I use the encryption feature on KitKat how much will it slow the phone down? If anyone has used encryption on Lollipop I'd be interested in your experiences also.

Thanks very much ;)

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
WARNING! DO NOT DOWNLOAD LOLLIPOP UPDATE! I just got the update yesterday.This new update is junk and now multiple applications don't work properly. It has also added multiple useless steps just opening the phone, trying to dial a contact, looking at email. Skype doesn't work, the calender doesn't work properly. I called up customer support and I have been advised that now I can't get rid of the operating system and go back to KitKat so I have to spend hours just getting my normal apps to work properly. They couldn't even help with my non-functioning apps because they don't know enough about it. They referred me to the website for all my questions. Complete junk! Very pissed!

WOW, I've side loaded Lollipop on one Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 as well as OTA update on my wife's Nexus 4 and all three run well. You don't mention the phone brand, it can be reverted to KitKat manually.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi -- I'm new to Android, having recently emigrated from the Windows Phone universe. So I am not up to see on the technical stuff as yet. I have two questions that some of you old salts might be able to help me out with.

1. Should I get Lollipop on my Moto G (2013) or stick with KitKat? Sounds like people have had very different experiences with this upgrade - any Moto G owners here who got Lollipop?

2. If I use the encryption feature on KitKat how much will it slow the phone down? If anyone has used encryption on Lollipop I'd be interested in your experiences also.

Thanks very much ;)

I have Nexus 4 and 7, both were encrypted while on kitkat and now on lollipop, I've not seen any slow down.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, the N7 2012 is the device that's having the most problems with the update. I flashed mine back to KitKat. You might change your mind when it hits your N7.

I agree that of all the devices that have gotten a Lollipop update, the 2012 Nexus 7 is the most problematic - due mainly to its hardware spec, in my understanding. I have Lollipop on my 2012 N7 and yes, it is pretty slow. Having said that, I don't think it's that much slower than KitKat. Granted that I don't do much on it - mainly reading e-books and browsing web, I still find the device quite usable. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton