Android Lollipop 5.0 - N5 Screen on Time Battery Drain

Nuno Sousa

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a stock non-rooted Nexus 5 bought in December, 2013. (1 year old)

In the last couple of days, i have experienced the mega battery drain everyone has been experiencing.
I have cleared mostly every google app, sync, disabled smart-lock, google now, etc and now my stand by time is just plainly excelent, like 0,5% per hour, way better than KK.

But now i have another problem, my SoT just sucks. I can barely get to 2 hours of SoT (usualy 1,5h, 1,75h), and i clearly see that when my screen is on (with 10% brightness), the battery just keeps on getting sucked! It's like 5% in 5 minute usage! I just can't understand how some people have 4 to 5h SoT! I remove the charge at 7.30am and charge it at 5% battery at 11pm when i go to bed.
My normal usage is Voice Calls (heavy), Gmail (heavy), Hangouts (moderate) and Chrome (little) and Facebook (little). I use wifi in the office and 3g out of office.

What can i do to enhance my SoT?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's not too different from what I'm getting, but that's also what I was getting on KitKat as well. I might get 2 hours of screen-on time before I start to recharge at around 30-40%, so total might be 3 hours if I let it run down completely.

I've read posts from other people who had some improvement after a post-update factory reset, so that's always something you could try (although it's obviously a bit of a hassle).

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Definitely factory reset / full wipe and reinstall ROM (for modded). Kind of sad to see so many Lollipop issues...
Don't bother wasting your time doing a factory reset. I did that and although it restored my home screen layout every app I had to log into and reconfigure again. Also the battery dropped fast until I disabled Google Fit. Now the battery is great in standby and listening to streaming music but if I do any SOT it drains about 1% every minute or so. Also with the screen on the device gets quite warm.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset works for some people, but not all. If you don't mind the hassle of setting the phone up again, it might still be worth doing.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Could it be a case of Google Services gone wild?

Would you mind heading into developer options > Process stats > Analyse your stats > Post screenshot here?

My Nexus 5 has been having odd experiences with Lollipop, while for the most part everything seems better there have been days when it disappoints.

Recently I've noted that at some point of usage Google's services can start taking up a lot of RAM, making performance worse(and in the process battery a lot worse too).

1417293686249.jpg
1417293698759.jpg

A simple reboot fixed my issues, and I yesterday tested the battery with heavy usage(mainly social networking applications with WiFi) and I got around 4 hours of SOT:

1417293748190.jpg

In those 4 hours of SOT, I had Google Now disabled(it is mostly enabled though). Location and WiFi was also enabled and my phone was using the trusted faces feature. I was doing texting using WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger for 4 hours straight and I used the amazing built-in battery saver of Android Lollipop when battery fell at 5% and got quite a lot of extra juice in the last few minutes!

I would recommend disabling location, or turning it to low power mode. Disabling Google Now. And using Lollipop's battery saver whenever your phone falls below 15%.

If that doesn't work factory reset, or maybe even revert to KitKat 4.4 using a factory image.

And if that doesn't work, your greatest fear may become a reality, the battery of your Nexus 5 may have started depleting(which is common for most batteries to do).

Sorry for the long post.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci