New to the android arena, really lost and really tired of old/dead/outdated guides/links

rambohenke

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Have an CAT B15Q, kitkat 4.4.2
I'm tired of the limited internal storage, and not being able to use the much larger external storage. :'(

After reading that it can be fixed with root, I've been at it all day.
All it has produced is about a hundred tabs in chrome(from all damn linking(far from all working)), the phone has been rooted(not sure wich part of which guide that gotten me there) and now the internal storage has been filled, again, for the 6'th time today.

What I want/need to know.
Is it still possible to circumvent the quirks of kitkat regarding not being able to use the external storage?

Is there a comprehensive guide for someone who knows nothing about android that teaches me what i need tho know to be able to understand what everything everybody is talking about and maybey be able to contribute(without all that damn linking and unupdated information?

I know android is supposed to be more free than other operatingsystems for cellphones, but right now. I'm having alot easier to tinker the way i want with my iPad than i have with the androidphone. What is going wrong here?

EDIT: Regarding moving files/apps to the external storage the latest app declared that "This device has no real primary external storage or the primary external storage is emulated".

Best regards
RamboHenke

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Can you clarify something for me please? Are you trying to have everything run off the external card?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

rambohenke

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, rooting can grant the ability to move app data to the SD card, but it is still up to the developer if and how much can be moved. Try looking this over: [LINK]KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central[/URL]

None of my apps have the option to move to the SD-card even after rooting and tinkering with permissions for the SD-card.
So It's all stuck on the tiny internal storage.

Since I'm familiar with linux it shouldn't be to hard to get to know the android specific functions but all acronyms and the extensive dicitonary makes it hard to follow the threads back and forth while trying to understand what everybody's saying.

According to that article a custom rom is the only viable option so far.
But I'm mote than unsure how that work's, I guess that they are specific for each phonemodel.
Since my phone isn't very popular I guess my chanses of finding a compatible rom is minimal.
Are there any place to look for safe/secure rom's?
If there is a rom compatible with my phone, is there any ONE guide that goes through it all from step one without a bunch of links to other guides.
Last try ended up in about 20 different tabs, and I lost track quite fast when one step failed.

Do you know of any articles/guides that's written for someone who knows nothing(little knowledge) about android, but wants to tinker with it?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
None of my apps have the option to move to the SD-card even after rooting and tinkering with permissions for the SD-card.
So It's all stuck on the tiny internal storage.

Since I'm familiar with linux it shouldn't be to hard to get to know the android specific functions but all acronyms and the extensive dicitonary makes it hard to follow the threads back and forth while trying to understand what everybody's saying.

According to that article a custom rom is the only viable option so far.
But I'm mote than unsure how that work's, I guess that they are specific for each phonemodel.
Since my phone isn't very popular I guess my chanses of finding a compatible rom is minimal.
Are there any place to look for safe/secure ROMs?
If there is a rom compatible with my phone, is there any ONE guide that goes through it all from step one without a bunch of links to other guides.
Last try ended up in about 20 different tabs, and I lost track quite fast when one step failed.

Do you know of any articles/guides that's written for someone who knows nothing(little knowledge) about android, but wants to tinker with it?

ROMs are based upon phone model, yes. A good place to start looking is XDA developers. You will need a custom recovery (if the rooting procedure didn't have you do that already). Once you have that, you will want to make a backup (or Nandroid) of your current ROM in recovery before you flash others.