2 factor authentication with initial device setup & population of My Apps list in Play Store

elian

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a new phone with KitKat and ran into some things. I had to return it because of a hardware defect, but I would like to know more about these things so I can hopefully prevent them once I receive the replacement.

1) My Google account has two factor authentication via an sms to the phone number of the new phone. During the initial device setup I entered username and password and was sent to the weblogin. Then I heard the sms sound, so the code had arrived. However, I didn't see it in the notification area (this was only during initial setup; at a later stage sms messages are visible in notifications). Also, I was not able to temporarily exit the setup procedure to view the sms in the messaging app.
Is this normal? Can anything be done about this? (Other than temporarily turning off 2 factor authentication or changing it to another phone.)

2) Due to the above, I did not login to my Google account during initial setup, but, instead, logged in from the settings after the setup was completed. I am not sure whether that may have caused the following. The My Apps list in the Play Store only contained the apps I installed myself on this device and not the preinstalled apps for which often updates are available. When I looked up such a preinstalled app, the Play Store did indicate that there was an update. When I installed that update, the app did appear in My Apps (but only that app). Also, when I logged into the Play Store on my computer's browser, it gave the same (limited) My Apps list as on the device.
What I have tried to solve this, but to no avail:
- Clear cache of Play Store app
- Clear data of Play Store app
- Remove and again add Google account
- Factory reset
- Switch auto app update off, reboot, and turn it on (wifi only) again

Could this have anything to do with issue (1)? Any ideas on how to solve this? Or should I just have more patience than a few hours?

Thank you.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
2 options

use one of your backup codes (you DID print those out when you set up 2 FA, didn't you?) instead of using the one sent via SMS.

Use an app-specific password to set up your phone (this is how you USED to have to do it), set up through the Security section of your Google account.

I THINK you might have to do a factory reset and start over using one of the options above to get the apps to automatically reinstall.

elian

May 20, 2014
Visit site
2 options

use one of your backup codes (you DID print those out when you set up 2 FA, didn't you?) instead of using the one sent via SMS.

Use an app-specific password to set up your phone (this is how you USED to have to do it), set up through the Security section of your Google account.

I THINK you might have to do a factory reset and start over using one of the options above to get the apps to automatically reinstall.

Thank you!
No, I had not printed them out. Wasn't aware of the possibility actually... I was aware of the app-specific password option, but couldn't imagine that that was the only option. Though I'm a bit surprised that the device setup procedure cannot handle the code by SMS.

When I have the replacement I'll make sure I get logged in during the initial device setup and hope that also solves the second issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey