Get rid of "material design" before being too late

anrdoider

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Can we just get rid of this before being too late, please?

No, its not a great invention, its not ergonomic, its not minimalistic, its just stupid. It looks like Windows 3.11 but with horrible colors. Just because someone invented a "metaphor" that some people think its awesome doesn't make it great.
Wake up before being too late, guys. Otherwise my next phone and probably millions of other Android users will be a Windows or Apple phone. They also went full retard with "minimalistic" design but you made art of it, their OS is still usable.

No, "minimalistic" design is not nice nor ergonomic, I'll tell you what is nice. Its nice too see 24bit color icons, with shadows, well made, just like ios used to be. The human eye associate color combinations with an app when looking at the screen. If all icons are green rectangle background with white contour inside, they all look alike, hard to distinguish one from another.

One more thing, those are not buttons, they are circle with shadows, buttons are what windows 95 or the old mac os used to have, things you feel like pushing, not circles. Menus should have icons, or colors, what you have now are simple black/white lists 1977 style.

Just wake up.

Click for HiRes:

View attachment 154387

Last edited:

anrdoider

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
What about system applications like email, settings and others not covered by launchers or themes? What about Play Store and others that fall under "material design" fantastic guidelines?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of Material Design either. I find it rather ugly and of poor design with the overuse of those garish colors and all the space they use/waste! IMHO, it all looks rather cartoonish and unprofessional. :(

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't have it on my phone yet so I can't give a definitive opinion yet but from the videos, reviews, pictures, etc. I didn't get what the fuss was all about.

mbryanr

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
'Just because someone invented a "metaphor" that some people think its awesome doesn't make it great. '

This is the basis for the hype. A nice marketing phrase.

Providing improved design standards and additional api gets buried under the bland, yet cartoony ui. And who thought the new volume controls were a leap forward?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Why worry? Chances are, the various OEMs will just lay their skins right over it anyways.

Individual Google apps (ex. GMail, YouTube, Maps, Music, etc.) still utilize/display Material Design regardless of an OEM skin. At least you can turn off auto-updating of apps (in your Play Store settings) to prevent those apps from updating. No such option exists however for the Play Store itself which auto-updates to the latest version with Material Design whether the user wants it or not. :(

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Is it appropriate to critique about Material design as an iOS device user? It's not that bad looking, but it honestly doesn't fit in with the design of iOS 7 at all.

dann127

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
So to simplify...
You don't like it so no one else should either?

Personally I like it. Animations seem to make things flow well and I enjoy the minimalist design. I've been very happy with the update. I think we're all entitled to our opinion. Some will like it others won't.

In other news you most definitely can change system apps like e-mail, settings, etc. I'm using Apex on my S4 and can easily change any icon with a quick click and drag. Within the apps though you're out of luck. Sorry you don't like it.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Get rid of "material design" before being too late

Material design is fine, they just have some bugs to squash and features to improve. It's early days for Lollipop, they'll get it ironed out.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree with dan, sorry, but I think the material design is really nice looking.
It's ok that you don't like it. You don't Have to upgrade to 5.0, you can keep on rockin 4.4 as long as you want.
Never thought android devices taking months and/or years to get an OS update as a feature, but there You go.

No one needs to wake up. People that don't want 5.0 Material design are not forced to take it.
Just buy an LG device, they never upgrade any of their phones. Problem solved.

WP has been metro since WP7 so you aren't getting away from Flat icons that are all the same color there.
Apple iOS 7+ isn't far from a material design, so if the idea is to get away from material design, why would they go to either of those?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I think Material Design is great. I wish they had it years ago and hope they keep it going for as long as possible.

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't like it? Then don't use it. There's nothing else to see here. I happen to like it.

Kinda hard to do when every company is moving forward with the trend, don't you think?

No, its not a great invention, its not ergonomic, its not minimalistic, its just stupid. It looks like Windows 3.11 but with horrible colors. Just because someone invented a "metaphor" that some people think its awesome doesn't make it great.
Wake up before being too late, guys. Otherwise my next phone and probably millions of other Android users will be a Windows or Apple phone. They also went full retard with "minimalistic" design but you made art of it, their OS is still usable.

No, "minimalistic" design is not nice nor ergonomic, I'll tell you what is nice. Its nice too see 24bit color icons, with shadows, well made, just like ios used to be. The human eye associate color combinations with an app when looking at the screen. If all icons are green rectangle background with white contour inside, they all look alike, hard to distinguish one from another.

One more thing, those are not buttons, they are circle with shadows, buttons are what windows 95 or the old mac os used to have, things you feel like pushing, not circles. Menus should have icons, or colors, what you have now are simple black/white lists 1977 style.

Just wake up.

I agree with most of what you said. I am not a fan of material design either. I liked what Microsoft did with it, but everything after that is just awful compared to what it could have been IMHO. But once the material nonsense dies down they will probably revert back to the same icons, etc. they used before and it will be 'new' ;)

anrdoider

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
This nonsense is somehow similar with building big phones, all companies build huge phone completely ignoring "single hand" users - who still use one free hand while texting or using the phone. I think this market is at least 15-20%, a lot of people want the screen size maximum 4-4.3 inches.
Apple is the first who realized they lost this market making the small iPhone too big and now there are rumors about a 4" iPhone. Probably they will be the first reverting the "minimalist" stupid trend. Maybe after Steve Jobs ghost will hunt them and slap the back of some of them heads.

Or its like Microsoft adding back the Start button after trying to convince us how great is without it. Balmer had to leave so the back people admit there were a lot of stupid mistakes, including 2 failed generations of Windows.

In few months we will see 32bit classic icons and wonder how an abomination like "material design" was possible. The ones who wake up first will probably gain the future market.

I don't have to install an awful looking operating system and pay for themes afterwards. It may be easier or more convenient for to change the phone. How about making it nice and the ones who wants cartoon looking theme to download it from Play Store?

Last edited by a moderator:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

No, its not a great invention, its not ergonomic, its not minimalistic, its just stupid. ...
Just wake up.

Amen & Pass the peas, Brother!

From the minute they flattened the lil green Android robot into mint green lil blobs that could barely be considered an emoticon over 2 years ago, i was like "uh oh, where is THIS headed?"

i miss all the blacks, all the depth of the icons and the sheer "coolness factor" of Android of yesteryear...

Its like Andy "cut his hair, put on a suit, got a job & joined a country club!"... the days of him taking on apple are long behind him. Now if he wanted to challenge someone, he'd prolly have an intelligent, mature debate or something...

Hey Google, "Android's fun & rebellious ," attitude is what got y'all where u are today, why would u distance urselves from that?!

BTC

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gents - sharing your opinions is fine, but remember this is a family friendly forum and as such you're expected to keep all language clean and above board. That includes both tripping and/or circumventing the language filters.

anrdoider

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
What is next, we have to install the camera driver in command line and "recompile the kernel" ?
EDIT: I know, soon we have to type "call Someone" in some dark command line to call someone.

Click for HiRes:

wvSr217.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36