Can I get some help understanding disc space?

MattPSU79

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Please Help Me Understand Managing Disc Space

I'm an Android newbie, and I'e been poking around for the last day trying to understand disc space issues. I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can do while understanding the limitations of my device/kitkat.

I'm working with my son's new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. It has 8GB internal storage plus a 32GB SD card. He's installed quite a few apps and last night was down to about 600GB of device storage. So I went through and moved some 15-20 apps to the SD card (using the application manager in settings). Most of the apps said they were successfully moved. I expected this to free up 3 GB of space, but was surprised to see it only freed up about 200MB. So since then I've been trying to read up on the issue.

What I found is that most of the app content remains on the device. For instance the biggest app is 1.25GB, and the "SD card app" and "SD card data" fields under the app info only add up to about 50MB, which suggests most of the data is still stored in the device memory.

So as I understand, some of this could be due to the permissions issues introduced in kitkat with apps only being able to access folders which they own/created? But it still seemed odd to me that so little data was able to be transferred to the card, so I started digging into the actual files using 'My Files' and the 'Disk Usage' app. Using these, it appears next to nothing has been transferred. In Disk Usage, absolutely none of the app data shows up at all...there are some movies/music that I had preloaded on the card that are there, but that's all I see in Disk Usage. Browsing through My Files, I see some folders for the various apps under 'SD card > Android > data'. They all appear to have cache or data subfolders but everything appears empty. So other than the folders getting created in the SD card, I'm not sure anything anything was actually transferred into them.

I'd really like to avoid rooting the device or doing anything too technical, since this is my son's device. I just want to be sure the apps are properly getting moved to the SD card. So how do I know if things are just being limited by the permissions issues in kitkat...or if there might be another issue with the card that's preventing data from getting transferred to the card?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol