Lollipop is absolutely phenomenal no question about it

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
My S5 has never been as smooth and trouble free as it is now with Lollipop. Everything is much snappier with no lag whatsoever..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see you're in the few that love it on the S5... :)

Did you do a factory reset on your device? That usually helps a lot of users, but we still see reports of things going awry even after a factory reset.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I expected to see at least a couple of glitches but it has worked flawlessly since the update..

Did you do a factory reset on your device? That usually helps a lot of users, but we still see reports of things going awry even after a factory reset.

The only thing I did was to wipe cashe before starting the download.. I had already converted runtime to ART several months ago.

I can't help but wonder if the runtime DALVIK is part of the problem since that is the runtime used before Lollipop which works with ART..

jwt873

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
My carrier just released Lollipop yesterday. I don't see that much difference. Performance and battery life seem the same.

There is one thing I really DO like... My Galaxy Note 4 has a few apps that are forced on me that I can't uninstall without rooting the phone. (Evernote for one).. Under Kit Kat, my only options in Application Manager were; "force stop" and "uninstall updates". I would do that, but a little while later, the apps would just update again and start running in the background taking up memory and using my data to phone home. They were like unkillable zombies. :)

Lollipop gave me an extra button in the Application Manager allowing me to 'disable' these apps. Now they no longer take up memory or CPU time and they no longer use up my data by 'phoning home' or asking to be updated.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm enjoying the experience on my old reliable Nexus 4. It makes me want T-Mobile to hurry with the update for my Note 4/Note Edge.

It's really running great on the two year Nexus.

Brandon Peterson8

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Flawless? I just finished reading a 3 pages thread about how battery drain on S5's has been horrendous. I updated my gf's S5 and my note 4 (both Verizon) last week, and the first few days, lag, and crazy battery draw. S5 would have ~60% charge at bedtime and it would be dead upon awaking. Solution thus far (two days ago) was to back up devices, and do a factory reset, then restored everything back to the phone. Fingers are crossed. Please note that I have a two spare Note 4 batteries and I keep one fully charged in my pocket.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow, complainers make more noise on a forum than do satisfied customers. shocking, that. And, I did a factory restore when I installed Android 5.0. Yes, I had to download two apps again and I lost one contact on my restore but I thought it was worth it. I fully understand those who don't think it's worth it.

Put me down in the quite happy column.

flicker0x7

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Strangely I'm getting some lag on my 2012 Nexus 7, but it could be because I flashed a ROM manually, maybe I should wait for a proper OTA update.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Flawless? I just finished reading a 3 pages thread about how battery drain on S5's has been horrendous. I updated my gf's S5 and my note 4 (both Verizon) last week, and the first few days, lag, and crazy battery draw. S5 would have ~60% charge at bedtime and it would be dead upon awaking. Solution thus far (two days ago) was to back up devices, and do a factory reset, then restored everything back to the phone. Fingers are crossed. Please note that I have a two spare Note 4 batteries and I keep one fully charged in my pocket.

I've had the update for several days now without a single issue.. I've come to the conclusion that the most likely cause of problems could be that when Lollipop is updating, the user did not clear cashe first and since KitKat uses DALVIK as its runtime and Lollipop uses ART there could be a conflict during the update process.. Usually wiping the cashe after the update will fix this but some have to do a factory reset. There are also some apps that have not been optimized for Lollipop by the developer that could also be causing problems but instead of trying to find the bad app they want to blame Lollipop..

Since the update I have not seen any lag and my battery life has increased considerably..

Tony Cochran

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Why should we s5 users have to do a factory reset to get it to work better. Then on top of all the reasons I hate the update I will now have to restore all my personal **** on here. **** you android, not impressed. Fix it please

Posted via the Android Central App

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
A factory reset is pretty standard after a major update, it clears out the gunk & gives you a fresh start. I'm genuinely surprised so many people refuse to do this, when there's a high probability it will fix your issues.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
For some, maybe. I hope for most, it's more a matter of them not knowing. And I'm sure some people are legitimately having bigger problems, but unfortunately there's no way of knowing which are truly due to the update itself.

Danni Rounding

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I absolutely HATE this update. I am probably going to be rolling back to KitKat soon since I kind of need my Clock to actually run and be able to set timers and alarms at work. And my phone company is useless in helping. They actually bricked my phone trying to fix it.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Then they won't have anything to complain about............

Don't be silly. Some don't do the factory restore so they will have a reason to whine and complain. I backed up my files before the factory restore and had to re-enter one contact and had to download two apps I'd paid for. The free apps came back without a problem.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I did the factory reset, cache partition clear and everything else available. I have great battery life to power features that won't work anymore!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"