S5 lollipop update failure plus wifi instability

MrsSmall

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't have wifi at home and most regularly use my in-laws, since I got my s5 the wifi periodically disconnects and reconnects, it bombs out often while I'm trying to update apps and I am the only person this happens to. Numerous other people connect devices here and have no problem although their wifi connection is a bit slow. Today I got my lollipop update notification and attempted to download it, it took at least 2 and a half hours to download, disconnecting and reconnecting several times in the process. When it eventually got to 100% the progress mb continued to increase past the size of the update, I then got a message stating 'the downloaded file is invalid please try again' my phone then switched off and for a while it would not come back on, when it did my Google search and clock widgets had disappeared randomly! Every subsequent time I connected to the wifi the update attempted to re-start. I had to disconnect and perform a battery pull to get it to stop. Anyone else experienced anything similar? Is this purely down to the wifi or is something else going on. FYI my mother in law updated her s5 earlier today using the same wifi connection with no problems at all, the update took about an hour and a half!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That certainly shouldn't be happening. First, go to Settings>Wi-fi, tap Menu>Advanced, and turn off Smart Network Switch. This is known to cause problems with wi-fi reception. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

Second, try booting into Recovery and wiping the cache partition (which won't erase any personal data): http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10404. After that, try the update again.

MrsSmall

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, smart network switch is already turned off and the problem still occurs. How do I boot into recovery mode? I use clean master and have cleared all the caches from there. This evening I will be going to my parents to use their wifi which is a much more stable connection so I will attempt the update again then. I was rather hoping that the update would solve the wifi instability issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The instructions for booting into Recovery and wiping the cache partition are in the link from my previous post. CleanMaster only cleans the app cache, which is different.

Do you have any antivirus apps installed? I recall that McAfee can cause some problems with wi-fi.

MrsSmall

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Oops sorry, I obviously didn't read it properly, I'll have a look thank you. I have to say though that 'system cache' always comes up on my clean master. I do have anti virus, I have avast but I've only recently downloaded it and this problem has been going on for months.