How do I stop banner notifications?

Teresa001

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
How to stop banner notifications

Hi, since downloading lastest version of 5.0 lollipop on S5 I keep getting large banner style notifications appearing on my home screen. I think they're called, floating notifications?? When I go into application manager it only gives me the option to turn them off completely. Ideally I'd like to return to the original app notifications version. Also, there's no sound when I receive a text message... at all!!!

Ready to pull my hair out grrr......
Please help... all suggestions welcome :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to stop banner notifications

Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, with Lollipop, you can't selectively turn off the banners and only get the little notification icons. This is a common complaint about Lollipop in general, and hopefully Google is listening and will address it in some future update.

Teresa001

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site

Thanks B. Diddy :) Yea hopefully they get it sorted asap *fingers crossed* But also, would you know why I'm not getting a message tone?? Ringing tone, alarm tone everything else is working perfect but for some reason im not getting a tone when a new message arrives :/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Do you never get message notifications, or is it only when you're in the Messaging app, with that conversation open?

Teresa001

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site

I get notifications okay (the banner ones lol) but no sound at all for messages. I left my phone beside me in yesterday and only for me checking, an hour later, I would never have known I had any messages at all. The ring tone, viber message tone, Facebook tone every other tone alert work except for the message one :/ All very confusing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Open the Messaging app, tap Menu>Settings, and test out some random notification tones--do they play samples for you?

Teresa001

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site

Yea that was one of the first things I did, I've tried changing the tone multiple times and still nothing. Lol, it's ridiculously.... I have honestly tried all the obvious things and nothing at all will work :/