01-17-2010 10:53 AM
61 123
tools
    Flash 10.1 Running on a Motorola Droid | DroidDog Android Blog

After seeing this, Flash runs SO much better on the Droid than it does on the Pre. Definitely another reason to go Droid.
    flash is gonna be so sweet,im on espn all day. cant wait.
    01-08-2010 11:17 AM
    flash is gonna be so sweet,im on espn all day. cant wait.
    Is that you AP?
    01-08-2010 11:25 AM
    Nothing wrong with Sprint, they've got a fantastic network. I had them for 8 years and never had an issue with signal, and my Pre consistently had 4-5 bars, everywhere in DFW. On the other hand, I can't even get 1X on my Droid at my desk! I used to have full 5 bars sitting here on my Pre, that's about all I miss from that phone.

Hey Elysian893, I remember seeing you post all the time on PreCentral. It sounds like you went through hell with your Pre. I am also considering switching from Pre to Moto Droid. I am getting really sick of the lag on the Pre. It lags so much that I tend to miss calls because of it. The only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid I will miss the really nice UI of the Pre. Any thoughts on that? I need to make my decision this month since Sprint just made changes to the contract, this is my only chance to get out free.
    01-08-2010 11:38 AM
    Is that you AP?
    All day baby ! between there and justin tv.com! then Ill be able to"spend time with the wife" and watch the games! I better get an extra battery....
    If your going to wait for the pre plus, why not wait for the nexus on verizon? Then you can compare all three...
    01-08-2010 11:50 AM
    I personally don't want to wait til spring. I want to sell my storm 2 on ebay while it is worth what it is worth. Using the money from that to offset the price of buying a phone retail.
    01-08-2010 11:57 AM
    Hey Elysian893, I remember seeing you post all the time on PreCentral. It sounds like you went through hell with your Pre. I am also considering switching from Pre to Moto Droid. I am getting really sick of the lag on the Pre. It lags so much that I tend to miss calls because of it. The only thing holding me back is that I'm afraid I will miss the really nice UI of the Pre. Any thoughts on that? I need to make my decision this month since Sprint just made changes to the contract, this is my only chance to get out free.
    I don't miss it one bit. The UI on the Pre is absurdly basic, almost like it's geared towards children. The Droid's UI is intuitive, and incredibly customizable.
    01-08-2010 11:58 AM
    I have to admit my mind is almost made up, as long as I can get out of my Sprint contract.

Is the keyboard on the Droid hard to get used to? I played with it at Best Buy and I was terrible, i think I misspelled every word. Usually that doesn't worry me too much because keyboards are one of those things you get used to, but I was VERY inaccurate on the Droid. The Pre keyboard isn't great, its small and cramped but I did get used it rather quickly.
    01-08-2010 12:19 PM
    I have to admit my mind is almost made up, as long as I can get out of my Sprint contract.

Is the keyboard on the Droid hard to get used to? I played with it at Best Buy and I was terrible, i think I misspelled every word. Usually that doesn't worry me too much because keyboards are one of those things you get used to, but I was VERY inaccurate on the Droid. The Pre keyboard isn't great, its small and cramped but I did get used it rather quickly.
    Same will happen with the Droid keyboard.
    01-08-2010 12:29 PM

My Droid's keyboard isn't the same as the display models, it's not completely flat, the buttons are slightly bubbled, enough that it makes keyboard use very easy. Didn't Sprint change the ToS, making it so anyone can get out of contract now?
    01-08-2010 12:35 PM
    Yes, they changed T&C effective Jan 1. That is why I am looking to take advantage and switch to Droid now.

I'm sure I can get something for my Pre on Ebay to offset some of the cost.
    01-08-2010 12:41 PM
    Yes, they changed T&C effective Jan 1. That is why I am looking to take advantage and switch to Droid now.

I'm sure I can get something for my Pre on Ebay to offset some of the cost.
    I sold mine on Craigslist for $250.
    01-08-2010 12:59 PM
    Looks like I will be a Droid owner soon....you will be seeing me on these forums more and more. Thanks for all your information.
    01-08-2010 01:09 PM
    I haven't seen anyone mention this: The WebOS is likely to be dead sooner or later. Palm made a huge mistake, hitching their wagon to Sprint, which is still bleeding subscribers. I, too, have waited for VZW to get it, but VZW and Palm are not friends, and this won't be sold hard at the V store, guaranteed. Meanwhile, literally millions of Android phones are being sold. Palm= 1 manufacturer. Android=dozens? So look at the future, but more importantly, look at software development. Are you going to design for the Pre or the Droid? Easy answer. So, like a few above, I moved quickly to the Droid. Everything I've ever wanted...well, the keyboard is worse than I hoped, but dang it, it's a keyboard!
    01-08-2010 02:47 PM
    One more question about Pre vs. Droid? I currently use a calendar on Exchange and another on Google. I actively use both of these calendars. WebOS combines both of these calendars into one calendar and color codes them for me so I know which appointment is from which calendar. Does Droid do something similar?
    01-08-2010 03:40 PM
    One more question about Pre vs. Droid? I currently use a calendar on Exchange and another on Google. I actively use both of these calendars. WebOS combines both of these calendars into one calendar and color codes them for me so I know which appointment is from which calendar. Does Droid do something similar?
    Android 2.0 gives you 2 calendar apps, one called "Corporate Calendar" for Exchange calendars, and another just called "Calendar" for your gmail and other calendars. I don't use Exchange, however, so I can't tell you if you can put them on the same calendar or not...
    01-08-2010 04:47 PM
    Yea I would go for the droid. I asked a few of my friends who still have Pres because they can't get out of their contracts and one of them has 7 batteries!!! haha.
    01-08-2010 08:36 PM
    WebOS in a couple years = Second to None!!!

Pre build quality sucks.......
    01-08-2010 08:48 PM
    They could get out of their contacts now without paying etfs. Sprint just made changes to their contact.
    01-08-2010 08:50 PM
    I had the Pre for 6 months on Sprint (I was a Sprint customer for 11 years), and I loved it initially. WebOS always looked great, it was easy to use and everything was simple. However, it was much slower than the Droid I have now (especially the music and calander apps). The calander app was almost useless it was so slow to load. It would take a good 2 or 3 seconds to swipe between days.

The reason I got rid of my Pre was because of the terrible build quality. By the end of the 6 months, it creaked whenever I would type on it (or if it was in my pocket, which was annoying) and because it's all glossy plastic (With an awkward design) it was covered in tiny scratches from daily use.

Breakdown:

Battery life: Droid Win
    Apps: Droid Win
    Screen: Droid Win
    Build Quality: Droid Win, by a lot
    Speed: Droid
    Multitasking: Pre (it's so easy it's almost fun)
    Web Browsing: Pre

I would get a Droid. However, I haven't ever used a Palm Pre Plus before, they may have addressed the build quality issues, and WebOS is great and they continue to improve it all the time. Palm is really good about pushing out updates.
    01-09-2010 01:09 AM
    Had a Pre from day 2 of its release. Hated it from Day 1. Keyboard was cramped. No apps. Reception far worse than any Sprint phone I've had in 6 years.

So far I love the Moto Droid except for the lack of pinch zoom and unzoom.
    01-09-2010 11:13 AM
    I had the pre for awhile. Granted one of the biggets reasons I returned it was the network (sprint). I thought the pre was a great phone, but here were my big gripes that I'm not sure have been addressed and would be the points I would research before taking the leap.

-The battery life was horrible. I couldn't make it through a full day and had to have a touchstone at the office and at home. Forget trying to leave "cards open and what not.
    -The keyboard wasn't great, but comparable to the droid in that it was useable for sure.
    -Email took forever to load. It looked great and all like on the droid, full html, but it took a solid amount of time to load each message. That killed me.
    -Still not so much app support.

I have the droid now and I love it. I think it will only get better. The pre was good too, but not as cool as the droid.
    I had a pre and all this is true x10. Especially the no app support!

Had a Pre from day 2 of its release. Hated it from Day 1. Keyboard was cramped. No apps. Reception far worse than any Sprint phone I've had in 6 years.

So far I love the Moto Droid except for the lack of pinch zoom and unzoom.

You can download Dolphin Browser to get the features you described.
    01-09-2010 12:44 PM
    The Pre does have 3D gaming now.
    01-09-2010 12:49 PM
    I'm on day 2 of my Pre->Droid switch and I seriously can't look back. The amount of polish, the speed of everything (although web scrolling was actually smoother on my pre), and the small things that have worked on my Droid that did not work on my Pre is making me so happy. The apps available for it are better quality (though I know the pre's will improve eventually). Hell, the Swype keyboard by itself makes it worth it. I am not regretting switching at all.
    01-09-2010 01:21 PM
    Android 2.0 gives you 2 calendar apps, one called "Corporate Calendar" for Exchange calendars, and another just called "Calendar" for your gmail and other calendars. I don't use Exchange, however, so I can't tell you if you can put them on the same calendar or not...
    So let me see if I understand correctly...I currently maintain an Exchange and a Google calendar. If want to see if I am free at 4pm I would have to check 2 different calendar apps?
    Does anyone know if there is an app that will combine the 2 calendars?
    01-09-2010 04:16 PM
    Does anyone know if there are any 3d games on the marketplace? I also read the build and the battery life is much improved on the pre. I like the openess of the android. I love the widgets as well.
    01-09-2010 08:32 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD