Droid or Pre?

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
So I am doing away with my Storm 2. I am going out and buying a phone at full price. I kinda have an idea of the difference between the Droid and the Pre. I am trying to decide and having troubles doing so. Seems like the new Pre plus is going to be a really good phone. Any suggestions?

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask a question like this... it is an Android forum after all.

For the record, I love my Droid. But I have a friend who has a Pre and loves that too.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think I want to know the benefits of android over webos. I think I am going to post this on the Palm site as well

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I had the pre for awhile. Granted one of the biggets reasons I returned it was the network (sprint). I thought the pre was a great phone, but here were my big gripes that I'm not sure have been addressed and would be the points I would research before taking the leap.

-The battery life was horrible. I couldn't make it through a full day and had to have a touchstone at the office and at home. Forget trying to leave "cards open and what not.
-The keyboard wasn't great, but comparable to the droid in that it was useable for sure.
-Email took forever to load. It looked great and all like on the droid, full html, but it took a solid amount of time to load each message. That killed me.
-Still not so much app support.

I have the droid now and I love it. I think it will only get better. The pre was good too, but not as cool as the droid.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiousity. I do a minimal amount of gaming on my phone just from here to there in the car or bus. Not really a selling point but just wondering. Does android do any kind of 3d gaming?

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have noticed some 3D games in the market but I doubt they are on par with the Iphone games...but I'm sure they will be very soon!

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea there are some, but not as many as on the iphone as mentioned. Once google allows storage of apps on the SD card we should see great games start popping up I think. I'm not sure the availability of 3d games on the pre at this time, when I had it there were none, but I'm sure that will change soon with palms 3d sdk. I think the android will have more/better games than the pre.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
How do you switch between multiple apps that are open on the android. Do you hold down a key or something ala a blackberry?

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
How do you switch between multiple apps that are open on the android. Do you hold down a key or something ala a blackberry?

Pressing and holding the home button gives you a pop-up that shows the last 6 apps that were open.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but Palm had a presentation at CES today. They released the Palm Pre Plus for Verizon, but it isn't coming until spring or so. They've updated the keyboard and made some other improvements, but not too many. They also partnered up with EA to provide a half a dozen games.

So Palm is catching up, but Android is still ahead in many regards. 2.1 shows that Google is updating just as quickly as Palm is, and I think the Droid still has much better battery life.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the reason I asked is because they said they were releasing the pre plus
on jan 25. i was pretty much set on the droid til i heard about but I think I am still leaning to the droid.

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Play with them both I had the pre and moved to the Droid the biggest gripe I had against the pre was the hardware it was horrible the battery was weak and the OS was slightly slow but it was a great phone given more time and with the current updates its just getting better. Go to the store and try them both see which one you like. Me I'm on the android bandwagon for awhile

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I was dead set to wait for the Pre on Verizon. When the Droid came out I had the opportunity to compare both phones. I am glad that I went with the Droid. I have just heard way too many horror stories about the bad battery life on the Pre. That being said, it appears that Verizon had tweaked the Pre, and hopefully improved the battery. IMHO the apps are better and more plentiful for the Droid, and the battery life has been great.

I love that Verizon is finally getting good phones and not crippleing them. It just makes things harder for phoneaphiles like us.

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Go with the Droid.

I have had both, so I can compare easily.

The Palm Pre is, and always will be, a little bit slow. Simply because the OS is based on web-technology like Java, everything takes a little while to render. Thus, opening apps like Email and SMS, not to mention more heavy apps like the Browser will never be as snappy as the Droid.

I would compare the sluggishness to WinMo in that regard. However, unlike WinMo, the OS is new, and still slightly half-baked. In about 3 years, I think WebOS will be the BEST OS out there, surpassing Android even, but not yet.

And the Pre Plus simply has more internal flash memory (16GB vs 8GB). Otherwise, it's the same as the Sprint Pre, except minor hardware changes.

tcassio

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I had a Pre for 6 months and had to replace the phone 4 time due to hardware failure. The Droid is a much better built phone. I loved the Pre but the hardware stinks. The Droid is a lot more customizable. I love my Droid, I am glad I made the change.

geeanywhere

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I might not be the right guy to say this but I am gonna say go with droid. My only fall back on the new pre plus is that it has new hardware and tweaked but is it really gonna do it's job in the long run. Web OS really can't define it's apps pumping like apple or android. I saw the hands on video for pre plus and wasn't too impress with it. So I say droid in my opinion.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a friend that has been through 4 pre's because of poor hardware. He just switched to the hero last month and loves it compared to the pre. He did like WebOS but it was the build quality and other small things that got him like the lack of external notification for missed called or messages. My brother has also been through a couple pre's due to hardware failures. Best bet is to play with both for a little while before deciding. I think the Droid already puts a smack down on pre and it only has a bright future ahead of it with the fast open development of android.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I am going to get the droid. I have had alot of problems with hardware failure with my blackberrys. I don't want to get into that mess again.

kalldrexx

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a Pre and am currently waiting at home for my Droid to be delivered for my switch to Verizon. I can't comment on the droid yet as I have only played with my friends but I'll detail why I left the Pre (even knowing what the CES announcements were going to be).

WebOS is a much more "fun" OS by far. From what I've played of Android (and reviews back this up) multi-tasking, gestures, and how things works are just fun and intuitive. I am definitely going to miss WebOS in that regard.

However, I finally decided to leave because the main functionality of the phone. There are just too many bugs in the system. 3 times in the last week my data stopped working until I rebooted the phone, the contact management isn't the greatest, calendar is slow and annoyingly limited in some regards, the alarm clock is notorious for having issues (i.e. not going off), Memory leaks are everywhere due to how apps and the OS are designed, phone application takes quite a long time to come up, etc...

Also, I am dubious about 3rd party support. Google maps is absolute crap on WebOS (google hosts the code itself on their servers, so even for the UI to come up there are delays). Palm changed the API for something an Pandora no longer works with the microphone button on my headset (button is used to pause/play and go to the next track usually), and their are numerious bugs in Palm's multimedia API that makes the media players have some annoying (although probably low priority) issues.

I firmly believe that in a year, WebOS has the potential to be amazing operating system, nad when my 1 year contract is up I will give the Pre another serious look, but for now I personally was not a fan. Once they straighten out their APIs, fix a lot of bugs, and get non-half assed 3rd party support WebOS will be a force to recon with. Until then, I'll have my Droid :)

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have a Pre and am currently waiting at home for my Droid to be delivered for my switch to Verizon. I can't comment on the droid yet as I have only played with my friends but I'll detail why I left the Pre (even knowing what the CES announcements were going to be).

WebOS is a much more "fun" OS by far. From what I've played of Android (and reviews back this up) multi-tasking, gestures, and how things works are just fun and intuitive. I am definitely going to miss WebOS in that regard.

However, I finally decided to leave because the main functionality of the phone. There are just too many bugs in the system. 3 times in the last week my data stopped working until I rebooted the phone, the contact management isn't the greatest, calendar is slow and annoyingly limited in some regards, the alarm clock is notorious for having issues (i.e. not going off), Memory leaks are everywhere due to how apps and the OS are designed, phone application takes quite a long time to come up, etc...

Also, I am dubious about 3rd party support. Google maps is absolute crap on WebOS (google hosts the code itself on their servers, so even for the UI to come up there are delays). Palm changed the API for something an Pandora no longer works with the microphone button on my headset (button is used to pause/play and go to the next track usually), and their are numerious bugs in Palm's multimedia API that makes the media players have some annoying (although probably low priority) issues.

I firmly believe that in a year, WebOS has the potential to be amazing operating system, nad when my 1 year contract is up I will give the Pre another serious look, but for now I personally was not a fan. Once they straighten out their APIs, fix a lot of bugs, and get non-half assed 3rd party support WebOS will be a force to recon with. Until then, I'll have my Droid :)

Agreed. I switched from the Pre to the Droid, and couldn't be happier. Also, TBH, I don't miss card view, it's gimmicky at best. IMO the Droid's multitasking that kind of mimics Windows works best. It also doesn't kill your battery to multitask, you're always multitasking, on the Pre, it kills your battery life, it kills the amount of available memory, it's just a hog, a very unoptimized OS. People who are getting the new games are now complaining of the "Sorry too many cards" error, when all they have open is the game. The Pre Plus will be better because it's got 512mb memory, and having 16gb won't hurt either, but the OS still isn't optimized, so I wouldn't expect it to be a major change. Maybe with 1.4 they'll finally pull their head out of their... Who knows. I had my Pre all the way up to 1.3.1, and was finally tired of the hardware issues and the sluggish OS, so I left Sprint entirely(which is a big deal, since they are the only cell carrier I've had until Verizon).