Droid or Pre?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea I would go for the droid. I asked a few of my friends who still have Pres because they can't get out of their contracts and one of them has 7 batteries!!! haha.

R

Roy Aguilera

They could get out of their contacts now without paying etfs. Sprint just made changes to their contact.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I had the Pre for 6 months on Sprint (I was a Sprint customer for 11 years), and I loved it initially. WebOS always looked great, it was easy to use and everything was simple. However, it was much slower than the Droid I have now (especially the music and calander apps). The calander app was almost useless it was so slow to load. It would take a good 2 or 3 seconds to swipe between days.

The reason I got rid of my Pre was because of the terrible build quality. By the end of the 6 months, it creaked whenever I would type on it (or if it was in my pocket, which was annoying) and because it's all glossy plastic (With an awkward design) it was covered in tiny scratches from daily use.

Breakdown:

Battery life: Droid Win
Apps: Droid Win
Screen: Droid Win
Build Quality: Droid Win, by a lot
Speed: Droid
Multitasking: Pre (it's so easy it's almost fun)
Web Browsing: Pre

I would get a Droid. However, I haven't ever used a Palm Pre Plus before, they may have addressed the build quality issues, and WebOS is great and they continue to improve it all the time. Palm is really good about pushing out updates.

gomezsrl

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Had a Pre from day 2 of its release. Hated it from Day 1. Keyboard was cramped. No apps. Reception far worse than any Sprint phone I've had in 6 years.

So far I love the Moto Droid except for the lack of pinch zoom and unzoom.

Integrals

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the pre for awhile. Granted one of the biggets reasons I returned it was the network (sprint). I thought the pre was a great phone, but here were my big gripes that I'm not sure have been addressed and would be the points I would research before taking the leap.

-The battery life was horrible. I couldn't make it through a full day and had to have a touchstone at the office and at home. Forget trying to leave "cards open and what not.
-The keyboard wasn't great, but comparable to the droid in that it was useable for sure.
-Email took forever to load. It looked great and all like on the droid, full html, but it took a solid amount of time to load each message. That killed me.
-Still not so much app support.

I have the droid now and I love it. I think it will only get better. The pre was good too, but not as cool as the droid.

I had a pre and all this is true x10. Especially the no app support!

Had a Pre from day 2 of its release. Hated it from Day 1. Keyboard was cramped. No apps. Reception far worse than any Sprint phone I've had in 6 years.

So far I love the Moto Droid except for the lack of pinch zoom and unzoom.

You can download Dolphin Browser to get the features you described.

kalldrexx

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm on day 2 of my Pre->Droid switch and I seriously can't look back. The amount of polish, the speed of everything (although web scrolling was actually smoother on my pre), and the small things that have worked on my Droid that did not work on my Pre is making me so happy. The apps available for it are better quality (though I know the pre's will improve eventually). Hell, the Swype keyboard by itself makes it worth it. I am not regretting switching at all.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Android 2.0 gives you 2 calendar apps, one called "Corporate Calendar" for Exchange calendars, and another just called "Calendar" for your gmail and other calendars. I don't use Exchange, however, so I can't tell you if you can put them on the same calendar or not...

So let me see if I understand correctly...I currently maintain an Exchange and a Google calendar. If want to see if I am free at 4pm I would have to check 2 different calendar apps?
Does anyone know if there is an app that will combine the 2 calendars?

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if there are any 3d games on the marketplace? I also read the build and the battery life is much improved on the pre. I like the openess of the android. I love the widgets as well.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Also I was waiting to move from the BlackBerry to the Pre when the Droid came out. To me there was almost nothing to consider. With what I heard about the build quality of the Pre along with the fact that developers were not interested in it made it an easy decision.

I LOVE my Droid and would not switch to anything.

AAFD

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I just moved from Pre to droid! I like the Pre but the droid has lots more to offer. Wife liked it so much she got one as well.

KC

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm on day 2 of my Pre->Droid switch and I seriously can't look back. The amount of polish, the speed of everything (although web scrolling was actually smoother on my pre), and the small things that have worked on my Droid that did not work on my Pre is making me so happy. The apps available for it are better quality (though I know the pre's will improve eventually). Hell, the Swype keyboard by itself makes it worth it. I am not regretting switching at all.

Web scrolling was smoother because of the complete eyesore checkerboard the Pre does until it can render the content. I HATED that when browsing on the Pre, literally ANY time you scrolled, you got checkerboard. That's not smooth, that's a workaround so the browsing speed isn't as bad as it would be otherwise.

kalldrexx

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
1.3.5 eliminated the checkerboard completely on the Pre.

However, I am more and more happy with the web browsing hte more I use it, and having google bookmarks synced is quite nice.

All in all, the more I use my droid the less I miss about my Pre. There are some things I think the Pre does better (notifications while locked, music application (cause controlling pause/playback/prev song/next song through touchscreen gestures makes doing things easier while driving), Pandora's pre app has one minor advantage etc..).

However, the Droid more than makes up for this in speed, multitasking (Once you realize that the droid does multitasking differently than the pre/windows and it does a good job of managing open apps for you without you having to worry, you'll love it and realize that the pre's card system *is* gimmicky), Google navigation (Much better than sprint's, and being able to speak "Navigate to <resturant>" and having it correctly find your destination while driving is nothing short of amazing.

The extra screen space is very noticable and very welcome as well.

All in all, I do not regret switching form the Pre to the Droid, and finally realize why Android is coming up as formidable competition to the IPhone.

bonfilio

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Former Pre user, just switched to Droid.

WebOS is awesome. The Pre is not. Nothing really wrong with the phone itself, but the build is terrible - the touchscreen will die on you, the slider will eventually feel like the 2 halves of the phone are coming apart and the battery will need to be charged 2x a day to maintain your productivity. Not to mention the USB port will crack, the screen casing will crack after plugging in USB too much (i know.. right?), etc etc.

The rumors are the Pre Plus fixes all of the engineering issues, but who really knows until it's released.