Why do deleted Hotmail emails still show up?

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Deleted hotmail emails still showing up

I'm running Lollipop on my galaxy s6. Doesn't matter whether I delete the emails from my compute or from my phone--they still show up on my phone. I'm using the Gmail app to access my hotmail / outlook account.

Anyone knows what the heck is happening?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Deleted hotmail emails still showing up

You are probably using POP3 email service instead of IMAP. Also, in server settings, there's probably an option to 'Sync deletions with server' (or similar). Enable it. If it's already enabled, it's just not working correctly. This is not really unusual, the option is kinda iffy and if it fails there nothing you can do.

Warning: If for example, you enable this option and read email on your computer and delete it, deleted email will not be available to read later anywhere else. It's gone.

If you can, switching to IMAP email service would be better since it automatically syncs to all devices.

If you already are using IMAP, then you have a different problem.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

The incoming server address is imap-mail.outlook.com, so it's imap. And there's no such option for sync deletions with server or anything similar to that. :(

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

OK, IMAP service it is. And since it is, the 'Sync deletions with server' option should not be there.

So... Am I correct that when you delete email it stays in the inbox? Or is deleted mail being moved to a 'Deleted' folder?

And I suspect the answer to this is No, but is this an Active Sync Outlook account?

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

No, the deleted mail stays where it is. I'm not sure what an active sync outlook account is. Yes, under settings > accounts, this account is chosen to be synced (everything: contacts, mail, etc.).

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

When I first got Android 5 on my Nexus 5 there was a parameter for "leave message on server" or "delete from server when deleted from device". Those quotes aren't really quotes but it said something like that. So, I checked, "leave message on server". I went to the coast to meet my sister and checked email on my phone for a couple of weeks. When I got home I learned that what I'd deleted, including some important tax information, was not still on the server. It was gone. I came to this site and was advised to get IMAP. Lord knows, I tried but I could never get it to work with Outlook and made an ungodly mess. Actually, it was big enough it might have been a godly mess.

Then I noticed that the parameter for "leave..." or "delete...." was no longer in Android 5. So, while I still have an active IMAP account with my ISP I went back to POP3. Then, just this week, I noticed that suddenly, messages deleted on my phone were not being deleted from the server and would still be downloaded to my desktop. I looked under "accounts" and found no parameter for "leave...." or "delete..."

Apparently, Android has been change from Android 5 to 5.01 to 5.1.

It's rare I get an email on my desktop before I get it on my phone but I'll try ignoring the one on the phone, deleting it on my desktop and see if it stays on the server.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

You didn't say what email client you're using. Knowing that would help. I don't know of any significant changes in the default Gmail app from 5.0 to 5.1. From your post, I can't tell if your problems have anything to do with Android itself or not, but it's doubtful.

Depending on what email client you:re using an option to "Delete from server when deleted on device" may or may not be available when using IMAP service. Some have it, some don't.

The "Leave message on server" option is for POP3 service. Again, it's not always there and is kinda iffy, it doesn't always work

When you set "Leave message on server" and it was gone a couple of weeks later, it might be because the account is setup to clear deleted mail after a certain time, say 7 days or 10 days so limited storage on the server is not filled and mail does not get rejected. POP3 accounts often have very little storage. IMAP usually has large, sometimes unlimited storage.

You should definitely go with IMAP if at all possible. It's capable of doing much more than POP3. It will sync your email across all devices and computers, keep everything on the server, push notifications and more than POP3 just can't.

I don't know what your problem was with it, but it's normally very easy to setup. Initial setup should be automatic.

You didn't exactly say, but I think you might be using an outlook.com email address. If you want to use IMAP with Outlook.com, here are the settlings:

Incoming IMAP
Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
Server port: 993
Encryption: SSL

Outgoing SMTP
Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Server port: 587
Encryption: TLS

sepandee

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

You didn't say what email client you're using. Knowing that would help. I don't know of any significant changes in the default Gmail app from 5.0 to 5.1. From your post, I can't tell if your problems have anything to do with Android itself or not, but it's doubtful.

Depending on what email client you:re using an option to "Delete from server when deleted on device" may or may not be available when using IMAP service. Some have it, some don't.

The "Leave message on server" option is for POP3 service. Again, it's not always there and is kinda iffy, it doesn't always work

When you set "Leave message on server" and it was gone a couple of weeks later, it might be because the account is setup to clear deleted mail after a certain time, say 7 days or 10 days so limited storage on the server is not filled and mail does not get rejected. POP3 accounts often have very little storage. IMAP usually has large, sometimes unlimited storage.

You should definitely go with IMAP if at all possible. It's capable of doing much more than POP3. It will sync your email across all devices and computers, keep everything on the server, push notifications and more than POP3 just can't.

I don't know what your problem was with it, but it's normally very easy to setup. Initial setup should be automatic.

You didn't exactly say, but I think you might be using an outlook.com email address. If you want to use IMAP with Outlook.com, here are the settlings:

Incoming IMAP
Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
Server port: 993
Encryption: SSL

Outgoing SMTP
Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Server port: 587
Encryption: TLS

If you were talkinga bout me, I think i did mention that I'm using the latest Gmail app. I have an @hotmail.com account and my settings are exactly as you say there are, except for the encryption (SSL/TLS for incoming and STARTTLS for outgoing).

Right now, for example, I'm looking at my hotmail inbox on my computer and it's empty (has been empty for 2 hours). On my Gmail app, my hotmail inbox has 4 emails (and yes, it has been synced).

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

@sepandeee
Actually, I was replying to ptkelly.

I don't know what's up with your Hotmail. Your inboxes and folders should match if everything syncing as intended. I'm kinda stumped on this one.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

anon(9921169)

May 23, 2016
Visit site

you have to unlock external applications to delete mail from non microsoft app, this from your outlook account: gear->settings->Connect devices and apps with POP->check "do what he app or the device says"

kakyoin

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site

you have to unlock external applications to delete mail from non microsoft app, this from your outlook account: gear->settings->Connect devices and apps with POP->check "do what he app or the device says"

I am having the same problem as OP and have done for almost a year now. I have this setting turned on, I've tried IMAP and POP but neither makes a difference. Deleted emails disappear for a moment and then reappear right away like I never deleted them. Drives me nuts, have to manually logon to my desktop every week to clear 100s of emails. Any help would be really appreciated