AT&T Moto X Lollipop update today and now my contacts are gone, please help How can I get them back?

A

AC Question

AT&T Moto X Lollipop update today and now my contacts are gone, please help

Everything else works fine but I have only one contact beginning with the letter A showing, none of the other contacts are there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Moto X Lollipop update today and now my contacts are gone, please help

Welcome to Android Central! Were your contacts associated with your Google account, or were they only saved to the local Phone account?

Mikej879

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

I don't recall ever linking the contacts to the google account and they were not saved to the sim card. Have I lost them completely?
Thank you

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Hi Mike, welcome to the forums! Make sure in your contacts app settings that the "display all contacts" option is selected.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Good tip from Javier P. My question had to do with how you entered the contact in the first place. When you enter a contact into the phone, near the top of the screen it should give you the option of which account to enter the account into. The default is often your Google account (which means it automatically syncs to your Google Contacts in the cloud, and is therefore immediately protected from any local loss on your phone), but for some devices, the default is the "Phone Account" or "Device Account." The problem with the latter is that it doesn't sync automatically anywhere, and is only stored locally (unless you manually sync it using a 3rd party app, usually provided by the manufacturer--like HTC Sync or Samsung Kies).

It's pretty easy to figure out if the contacts were associated with your Google Contacts--just go to Google Contacts on your computer browser. If they're there, then at least they're not lost. On the phone go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account] and make sure Contacts is checked on. And, as Javier P suggested, make sure the Contacts app is set to Display All Contacts.

MauiKiwi

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: AT&T Moto X Lollipop update today and now my contacts are gone, please help How can I get them b

I have the same issue!!! I did the system update on my Moto X yesterday and all my Contacts have gone! Aaagh :mad:
Called AT & T this morning and they couldn't fix it. Said they'd have lots of calls about the same thing. Then called Motorola and they sent me a link to do "clear cache partition' - that didn't work either!
I have already done the steps suggested in this thread.

Anything else to try??

HELP

leonar40

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: AT&T Moto X Lollipop update today and now my contacts are gone, please help How can I get them b

Similar issue here, also with a Moto X.

Wow so this Lollipop update really did not go well for me. First the update took about an hour with multiple reboots throughout the process. Once it finally did finish, everything looked ok until I went into the contacts. All of the contacts are listed, but only contain the phone number, no names! I went to the AT&T store today and they stated they couldn't do anything about it and basically said this was "Google's fault". Nice customer service. We tried pulling in the contacts from the Sim card and from the Google account, but neither worked. Any other ideas on how to get the names back?

Last edited:

Dan Hurley

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Upgraded Moto X today. I have only one number listed for each contact. What happened to all of the rest of them. I did go in and set it to Display All?

Thanks,

Dan

Alurea

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Having the same issue. Checked and my contacts weren't backed up via Google, and I cannot access AT&T's Address Book at present from either my device or my PC. Site just spits out an error message. Assuming the contacts were stored on my device and through my phone service, are there any ideas on how to recover them? Or are we stuck starting from scratch?

Donald Collins1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

If you never synchronize ur contacts to Google ur service provider may have a cloud that ur a member of see if u can get them back after calling there technical support department.

Posted via the Android Central App

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Cloud backups, (Google, carrier, etc), can be good "if used", but back ups to your SD card (Export) and computer adds a little more protection. Personally, I never use the cloud, only local backups. Way too many people having issues with contacts and gallery pics disappearing with these latest LP updates. Sad!

leonar40

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

So here's where I am at now. I have logged into Google Contacts and found that all my contacts are saved there with the numbers that I need. However, when I try to import them onto the phone (choosing the Google Account option), the phone tells me "No vCard file found in storage". I don't know what that means, it should be looking for the contacts saved into the Google Account right? I also was able to save the contacts to a .csv file, but how would I copy that to the phone?

Dan Hurley

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I finally got through to Motorola support. Front line support told me I was hosed. I insisted on speaking to someone else and they sent me to level 2 support. All they had to do was go the AT&T's Address Book app, click disable, then enable. That synched me up and all my phone numbers showed up on my phone. However, I somehow now have a phone contact list loaded with email addresses from gmail, but I can clean those up.

Dan

May 19, 2014
Visit site

I finally got through to Motorola support. Front line support told me I was hosed. I insisted on speaking to someone else and they sent me to level 2 support. All they had to do was go the AT&T's Address Book app, click disable, then enable. That synched me up and all my phone numbers showed up on my phone. However, I somehow now have a phone contact list loaded with email addresses from gmail, but I can clean those up.

Dan

Dan-

Glad you got to L2 and got it worked out. A factory reset shouldn't be necessary. I have posted some instructions on our community but I'm under 10 links so I can't post that for you yet.

Settings > Apps > All Apps > Disable ATT Address Book App

Then Re-enable it and your contacts should come back.

If you are experiencing an issue with Google Contacts. I would recommend Settings > Accounts > Google > Email Address > Uncheck and recheck contacts. Give it time. If you have over 1K contacts it may take a while to sync them down.

Also log into AT&T Addressbook and Google Contacts and check to ensure your contacts are all synced there.

If you are still having trouble, post a reply and we'll try to determine what is happening.

Mark
Motorola Support

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site

This happened to me also and when I inquired with Motorola they said the the loss of contacts is permanent if they weren't backed up to an account like Google. I was pretty upset by this because I have been transferring the same contacts for about 10 years between phones (and with my Sony phones previously, when I did this I would get all of them, even ones I deleted years ago). But I was able to get some of them back sorta by accident. I have the Mr. Number app on my phone, and fortunately it had cross referenced previous calls going back to the beginning of the year with my contacts before the upgrade; so any of the contacts that I had any calls or texts with for the last 7 months were still in Mr. Number. The app has a function to add to contacts when you select the number; so in effect I was able to use that to add all of those back to my contacts. So if you have any other apps on your phone that had access to your contacts previously, there is a chance that the data may still be in the app. But the contacts that hadn't been used this year are gone forever. So you can get the names for all those numbers that way; and if you go into your regular call log, you can still see all the numbers; but I think you need to have them cross-referenced in an app like this somewhere for the names to still be there.

Raframos

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

Dan-

Glad you got to L2 and got it worked out. A factory reset shouldn't be necessary. I have posted some instructions on our community but I'm under 10 links so I can't post that for you yet.

Also log into AT&T Addressbook and Google Contacts and check to ensure your contacts are all synced there.

If you are still having trouble, post a reply and we'll try to determine what is happening.

Mark
Motorola Support

Hi, I upgraded to lollipop this morning and lost my contacts of 6 years. I tried your fix above with no luck. I have some backed up but from my last phone but am losing custom contact photos, added on email addresses and other phone numbers...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams