Android from a webOS Perspective - Smartphone Round Robin Contest Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't really see why anyone says either OS is complicated. Nothing is as complex as WinMo. That OS has so many settings, menus, and tweakable registry entries you could get lost for years.
Android took about an hour to learn. A few days to get the ins and outs.
WebOS I've only played with, but it seemed simple too.

What I would like to see on Android is more unified profiles. For example: sounds. I can change (system & general) notification sounds and ringtones in the Settings menu, but I cannot change my text message sound or Gmail sound unless I go to those specific apps. Since I am using 1.5, I also have a separate e-mail app that allows me to disable/enable sounds for each of my other e-mail accounts.
I would like to see all of these in one menu.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
curious, when is the drawing? Weeks away after the whole round robin is done or do they do it each week by platform, anyone know?
ADS

Thespis721

Jan 14, 2010
www.oldgp.com
This all brings up an interesting point. The iPhone has been around for about 3 years now (I think) and it still can up date it's oldest phone. Pre has been around for a year and the updates still work. Android has been around for a year and it already has software that cannot update to their latest OS.

It kind of shows to me that Android's OS is developing significantly faster then the other OS's. I mean, even aesthetically, the OS from version 1 is completely different to version 2. Opposed to the iPhone where the OS looks the same even going into it's 4th version.

Fobok

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
This all brings up an interesting point. The iPhone has been around for about 3 years now (I think) and it still can up date it's oldest phone. Pre has been around for a year and the updates still work. Android has been around for a year and it already has software that cannot update to their latest OS.

It kind of shows to me that Android's OS is developing significantly faster then the other OS's. I mean, even aesthetically, the OS from version 1 is completely different to version 2. Opposed to the iPhone where the OS looks the same even going into it's 4th version.

This is pretty much my only big concern about Android phones. I like to keep up to date, especially when it comes to operating systems on my devices. (The only exception being I skipped Vista on my PC, which up until I got my iPod Touch at Christmas was the only device I really had to worry about. It was almost as difficult skipping as I imagine the problems in Vista would have been had I updated. But I got Windows 7 day 1.. heck, day -100 or something, actually, as I got the RC shortly after it released.)

Anyway, rambling aside, I'm a little worried about the update paths on Android phones. That's one reason I'm hoping with Nexus One, they'll let people update as new software comes out, until the software no longer supports the hardware.

land of the trill

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
There is only one phone that isn't getting the lastest version of android and that's the G1 due to hardware restraits. It was an introduction to the OS and nothing more but its still being kept alive by the dev community but I'm waiting on something like the Nexus and hopefully with a keyboard. Staying up to date isn't an issue but the main thing would be custom UI for android which would make the process of updating a little harder but you would still get it just a little later.

The platform matured so much it went from 1.6 to 2.0 and 2.0.1 overnight and now even shorter to 2.1 and being how everything after 2.0 was just a revision they waited so everyone would have the lastest when its updated. Motorola, HTC, and Google knew what direction it was going since they have to communicate with the respective partner. There isn't a problem just lack of research so far but by March every phone should have 2.1 except the G1.

P.S. I'm guessing you want them to somehow add more memory to the phone and make it work but in the real world things don't work that way.

Last edited:

edrdoberts

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Everyone except for the G1 is getting new updates. Unfortunately, because all the manufacturers like to add their own skin (such as TouchFlow 3D on the Hero/Eris), it takes the manufacturers a considerable amount of time to upgrade. 2.1 is out now, but these devices won't get the update for 6 months. That's somewhat frustrating... but something you deal with if you go the Android route.

Thespis721

Jan 14, 2010
www.oldgp.com
This is pretty much my only big concern about Android phones. I like to keep up to date, especially when it comes to operating systems on my devices. (The only exception being I skipped Vista on my PC, which up until I got my iPod Touch at Christmas was the only device I really had to worry about. It was almost as difficult skipping as I imagine the problems in Vista would have been had I updated. But I got Windows 7 day 1.. heck, day -100 or something, actually, as I got the RC shortly after it released.)

Anyway, rambling aside, I'm a little worried about the update paths on Android phones. That's one reason I'm hoping with Nexus One, they'll let people update as new software comes out, until the software no longer supports the hardware.

I'm not sure if this is even that great of a concern given that the only reason the G1 didn't get it is because it didn't have the hardware to handle 3D. All the phones released now have 3D capabilities and I strongly doubt that Google is going to find something, OS-wise, that will stop the latest Android phones from handling their business now that 3D is out of the way.

And regarding Nexus One with a keyboard as someone said, that's pretty much the Droid. Most reviewers said that. What you think of the keyboard is another question. N1 only has that super processor in it, but people still say that it's only a little faster then the Droid.

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Now that I have the Nexus I am finding some apps that do not work on 2.1 but so not state any issues in the comments. For example DXTop has some issues with 2.1 but nowhere does it state that it does not support 2.1

land of the trill

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
All devices that support 2.1 will be updated in the next 2-3 months and some sooner than other more than likely. We will be hearing more about flash and a new update in the next coming months since flan was dropped and they call it something else.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.