LG G3 cant hard reset after updating during lock out

notocord

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I'll try to keep the following events as concise as possible, please ask if you have any questions.

I got locked out of my LG G3 completely at work while it was in my pocket.

Android asked me to enter the PIN or use the Google account to login. Since I was at work my WiFi was turned off and it wouldn't accept my password, I tried to turn WiFi on by using short cut camera (hold down button), Quickmemo shortcut (hold up button), calling from another phone etc but I was unable to pull the notification bar down and turn WiFi on. I tried using my original password but it didn't work. I tried every PIN I could think of but failed.

I tried to disable the pattern lock via ADB as stated on WikiHow page titled : 6 Ways to Break Into Your Locked Android Device
but it did not work as Android's security prevented my PC from connecting properly to the phone (possibly because I hadn't used it in debug more before, though almost definitely because I am completely locked out).

A hard/factory reset was a last resort so I installed the LG Suite and tried connecting. I knew this was a vain attempt, if the ADB method above didn't work I doubted the suite would have any help. The Suite said I had a software upgrade and in vain hope I went ahead and tried to install it. I've tried it several times now and it always fails after downloading during installation. The phone became stuck on Firmware Update screen; "Do not unplug" etc, so I tried restoring previous update, I don't remember what the process was called, error restoration or something..? This also failed, again probably because I was completely locked out. Edit: it required me to manually input the model, S/N or IMEI number.

Finally I tried hard resetting but the Firmware Update screen comes up after reset confirmation and the LG Suite cannot connect to the phone any-more.

I have no idea what to do. To think this would all be fine if Google had let me connect to WiFi...

Last edited:

notocord

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Would reflashing work? Since I can't link to a webpage, please Google [Guide] LG G3 Stock Firmware (Go Back to Stock) KDZ & TOT Method (a post by hyelton on XDA developer forums)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never done a G3 (I've done G2s), but reflashing the ROM will give you an out of the box phone - no email address, no password, nothing. IF you can reflash it as this state. Then spend an afternoon putting everything back. I hope you keep current backups. (I prefer tot files and the LG Flash tool, but a kdz file and the Mobile Support Tool will do the same thing. I just can't get the MST to run properly under Windows 8.1.)

If not, see if your carrier will do a reflash for you. (They have some tools we'd love to get our hands on.)

notocord

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
This is my first time flashing and Im not sure which KDZ Im supposed to download. Im using the first method on [Guide] LG G3 Stock Firmware (Go Back to Stock) KDZ & TOT Method.

Using the link from the method I assume I use the United Kingdom KDZ? I bought the phone unlocked from Amazon, the model is D855 and my carrier is Tesco Mobile network but before a software update the phone incorrectly thought I was using the 02 network... so do I use the UK OPEN D80220j_00.kdz (does open mean unlocked? also different model number) or 02 UK D85520f_00.kdz (and hope it works with Tesco Mobile)?

notocord

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I successfully flashed my phone using this method: lgg3root.com/lg-g3-stock-factory-firmware/
I used the D855 European .kdz supplied there and followed the easy to understand, step by step video guide by Max Lee titled How to Unroot/Unbrick LG G3!.

The only problem, and this is basically insignificant is that an app called VoiceMate (used in voice recognition) is unable to update due to a certificate conflict in LernwickeManager but fortunately it doesnt seem to affect the VoiceMate app.

Edit: How do I mark this thread as solved?

Last edited:

Shon Ratul

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
If you did not tried the recovery mod than try it.You can hard resit it easily and it will bring it back to stock

Posted via the Android Central App