Marshmallow update: How to disable 'Open WIFI networks available' notification?

A

AC Question

Marshmallow update: How to disable 'Open WIFI networks available' notification

Hi,

Getting irritating notification every time saying "Open WIFI networks available". This issues is after recent upgrade to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Anybody know how to disable this notification.

Andrew Precht

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Nexus 5, after the Marshmallow update. I would add, that I sit at work with some remembered WiFi networks in range. If I don't log into the user agreement page the notification will continue to sound every 10 minutes. If I do log into the user agreement page and then get up and leave my desk, I have to start the process again once I'm back in range. Absolutely ridiculous.

Google fix this please...

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Probably varies by carrier, but "Network Notification" is the first toggle setting under the "Advanced" WiFi Settings (the 3 dots up top) on mine.

franklekens

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Have the same problem. And the problem is not that I don't want a notification (I do want the notification, so as to be able to immediately click through to the "click OK" screen for wifi networks that require that, at work for instance). But I only want it at the top of my screen. NOT as a sound and a vibration from the device. There seems to be no way to turn this off separately for wifi notification -- short of putting the entire device in silent mode, which I don't want EITHER.

Easily one of the most annoying new "improvements" in Marshmallow. On two different Nexus devices.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow update: How to disable 'Open WIFI networks available' notification

Still having this problem too despite now having a 6P. Annoying indeed, luckily here (UK) I get plenty of data so can turn off wifi when out.

Posted via the Android Central App

Roland Priegl

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I have android 5.1, same problem. As a workaround I've set the default notification ringtone to none, as open wifi notification uses that one, and now it is silent. It is at Settings->sound and notifications->default notification sound. For the IM-s different notification sounds can be set distinguished even for each contact, and that is the only place I need notification sounds.so I don't miss the other notifications where default is used.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Marshmallow update: How to disable 'Open WIFI networks available' notification

I am on 5.1 too and yet:

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1194.jpg
    1194.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 47

Dex Luther

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
What's worse and could be a security issue is that the phone will automatically connect to any open wifi connections in range, which is annoying when you're trying to connect to a specific connection and it constantly switches back to some open connection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam