WiFi connectivity while phone is charging

AndyPopely

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I've noticed that recharging the battery on my Nexus 5 is faster in Marshmallow than in Lollipop ... but there's a cost.

When it's charging the wifi connection to my home network keeps dropping. When the charge reaches 100% the wifi connection remains stable.

While charging the phone does not seem able to hold the wifi connection to my network if the Roku is streaming something wirelessly and/or I'm surfing the web wirelessly on my laptop. If the Roku and laptop are not being used then the phone holds it's wireless connection during the charge. The phone is charging in the same room as the Roku and laptop.

I've tried switching back to the Lollipop DHCP client in Developer options but the result is the same.

Has anyone else experienced this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've seen various wi-fi issues being raised for the N5 on Marshmallow. But you don't have any problems when not charging?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My WiFi seems quite stable when I'm charging but I didn't want to sit and look at it for longer than four minutes. I've never noticed WiFi being dropped when the phone is charging.

AndyPopely

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
When the phone isn't charging the wifi connection is stable. It's even stable when charging as long as there's no other wireless activity going on in the same room.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. It makes me wonder if there's some problem with the internal shielding, such that when it's charging, the electromagnetic field that's generated by the charging isn't being shielded from the wi-fi radio. I actually have no idea if this makes any physical sense (dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an engineer! :p ), but it seems like it's possible to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674