Droid or N1 - Coming from a BlackBerry

stillpwning

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Apologies if you've all seen this question asked way too many times before... I'd just like some advice.

My Verizon contract is up in a couple of months, which will make me eligible to upgrade at a discount price. So, I was wondering what to do - either make the jump to a Motorola Droid, or wait for Google to release the Nexus One for Verizon.

I'm very used to my BlackBerry Curve's keyboard, and absolutely love it. I have used the Droid's before and wasn't thrilled with it, however, having a keyboard is better than having none. I have never used a N1's keyboard, so do you think making the transition from a physical to virtual keyboard would be a huge adjustment? I'm just worried I'll spend the money on the N1 and absolutely hate the keyboard.

Thanks folks!

Capt_X

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Blackberry Curve myself and must say it hasn't been that bad transitioning to the Droid. I used to be against touch phones, but I've gotten pretty used to the Droid and find myself typing much faster than I thought I would be able to. Overall, I am pleased with the transition to a virtual keyboard. I don't use the physical keyboard very much though. I find it too awkward to use.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I went from the curve to the storm and it was pretty hard for the first month until I got use to the virtual keyboard. Then because of all the problem I was having with the storm I got the tour when it was released and the 2 things I missed the most were the big screen and the landscape virtual keyboard. The droids keyboard is just as good as the storms beside the fact of no sure type but my typing speed is doubled on a virtual keyboard compared to the curve or tour. There is one thing the physical keyboards have over the virtual and that is typing with one hand. So there will be a learning curve for the first month but after that you will be glad you switched.
Not to sure what android device will be better for you but either will be better then a black berry.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I came from an 8330 as well and I thought I NEEDED the physical keyboard. After 2 weeks, I never use the physical keyboard. In fact I have ordered a one piece carbon fiber case for the Droid that will make the keyboard unusable. :cool:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Honestly it depends ob the coverage in your area if both are good then get either the nexus has a lot of potential if you plan on rooting if not then they will both be comparable my Droid overclocked runs faster than a n1 at 900 mhz

paa79594

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
We have no idea when the Nexus is coming to Verizon. Why not get the latest and GREATEST Android device on Verizon NOW? By the time the Nexus comes out, 2 months later a newer phone will come out...

stillpwning

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers guys, looks like I'll be going with the Droid. The Nexus One seems nice, but honestly, the Droid is pretty damn fast itself so it should suit my needs for now (plus, I have no patience to wait for the N1 on Verizon ;)).

Cheers, can't wait to join the Android community officially. :)

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
blackberry to droid

Coming from both a curve and a tour i was worried about the keyboard too but you do get used to it and they amount of apps, the speed of the web browser and the basic user friendliness of the phone makes up for any difficulties you will have. I love my droid and wish that i had switched sooner!!! :D

anon(3981)

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I came from a long line of Blackberry phones. Actually went with the Droid because it had a physical keyboard. After a few months I can honestly say that I never use the physical keyboard at all. It is pretty awful after the wonderful Blackberry experience. But the onscreen keyboard is amazing and so easy to use I actually type faster on it than I ever did on any of my Blackberrys.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I came from a long line of Blackberry phones. Actually went with the Droid because it had a physical keyboard. After a few months I can honestly say that I never use the physical keyboard at all. It is pretty awful after the wonderful Blackberry experience. But the onscreen keyboard is amazing and so easy to use I actually type faster on it than I ever did on any of my Blackberrys.

Same experience here. I had the Pearl, Curve, Storm, and Tour, and I went with the Droid over the Eris in part because of the physical keyboard. I almost never use it now. I'm actually continually surprised at how incredibly quick I'm able to type on the virtual keyboard (in landscape, at least, not even close on portrait). I don't think I've been that quick on any of the blackberry keyboards.

tmac67

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
thats what i was thinking to do hate the idea of the qwerty like the touch myself, gonna try that. this site is helpful.

tyrran

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, even if you aren't that comfortable with a Droid keyboard, it's a better overall investment. Besides being a bit cheaper than the N1, the Nexus falls into a dangerous catagory: the "iPhone killer." This is a phone that, while beautiful and strong, was designed with one opponent on the battlefield *only.* As a result, people pick it up, compare it to the iPhone and, tragically, find it wanting. The Droid is a strong, savage phone unto itself that really says "business" instead of "not an iPhone." If you're most interested in having a phone for personal use and general ease, sure, Nexus. If you want one for the blackberry world, I would strongly suggest the Droid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance