How do I access my lost files when they are accounted for by storage space after upgrading to 6.0?

Timothy A

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
How do i access my lost files when they are accounted for by storage space after upgrading to 6.0?

My files were unsurprisingly gone after i upgraded to android 6.0 only to discover that my storage memory still says I have used 9gb. definitely my files are still there somewhere. nothing is wrong with my apps though, but the data files are also gone even though the apps work as fine as before. Nothing changed about them.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: How do i access my lost files when they are accounted for by storage space after upgrading to 6.

one of M shenanigans, you can't access your files from a computer anymore, it's strongly advised to move everything into internal storage, format the SD card and then upgrade to Marshmallow.

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happened to my phone but in a reversed manner. This affected my Internal Storage and those files are there somewhere.

Yep, this will happen. When upgrading to m you need to save anything you have on internal storage (that you need access to) also before formatting to adopted storage. I know this doesn't help but it's something they do not tell you. For example downloads, the download folder you will not be able to access after it's formatted adopted. Chrome, for example, will change it's download folder to the sd card formatted to adopted. a.pus, for example, is no set up to be able to change download locations and will still download to internal which you cannot access.

Unfortunately you have to format the sd to portable, or root to access the files. Or do a clean install to just clear up the space.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
really, Marshmallow does not improve significantly enough over 5.1.1 to go through all these shenanigans with SD cards / device storage, specially how you can't access them using a PC anymore, I will upgrade when 6.1.1 hits with a lot of tweaking and fixes. In the meantime 5.1.1 is rock-solid stable, smooth, blazing fast and very FRIENDLY when it comes to storage managing. Also don't forget coders plan their apps according to installed base, so far Marshmallow is not even 2% of actual devices, it's KitKat (and Jelly Bean) dominating by a large margin over Lollipop... which is catching up fast and it's what developers are aiming their apps for (5.1.1).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463