External SD Card issues (Moto G 4G Gen 3)

Armadillian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I recently updated my phone to Android 6.0, not really realising what a huge mistake it would be. Basically I'm having 2 big problems right now, being:

1) My spotify will no longer work. All I get is a notification saying "No Storage Area Found. Check the device settings."
Apparently this is an issue a lot of people are having, and I suspect it might be related to my second problem.
2) When connecting my phone to my PC (setting it to USB for file transfer, of course) my Lexar SD Card only shows 2 folders, namely "LOST.DIR" (being empty) and "Android" (containing a /data/com.spotify.music/files structure that i can only assume contains my Spotify songs - encrypted of course). My first guess was that maybe, for some reason, the files were just hidden, but that wasn't it either. When I open up an explorer app on my phone, I can navigate my external card just fine.

I really don't know how to deal with either of these issues, and it's making me wish I could go back to the previous Android version, though I'm not even sure if that would magically fix both of my problems. (Damage is done kind of deal)

Any and all help would be appreciated since mostly the absence of spotify is making my commutes quite hellish to say the least.

Vince

Edit: I briefly considered formatting my SD card as internal, however I could never go through with this as I was in fact unable to backup any of its contents (obviously).

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
why did you "upgrade" to Marshmallow ? there were a lot of reports here stating the shortcomings of Marshmallow' new storage management, wasn't 5.1.1 good enough for you ?

Anyway... Spotify will update the app so it can "see" the SD card and download offline music to it, it's in beta now.

And in order to fix the PC connection go to apps - 3 dots menu - show all apps including system apps - look for "media storage" and "external storage", clear DATA of these apps and reboot (all this without any USB cable connected), then wait for 5-6 minutes after reboot for database re-build and connect again to PC, display the notification and change it from "charge" to "MTP" : )

Armadillian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the shortcomings. I had no complaints about 5.1.1 at all.

Is there any way to make Spotify work in the meantime (for streaming only, I guess :/) ?

Followed the steps you described to the letter and it worked like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
How do I downgrade to Lollipop without rooting though?

What phone do you have? You need to get the stock lollipop recovery and flash it using fastboot/adb using your computer. It should be on the manufacturers page and you need to extract the images, then flash. Unless someone has them already extracted on xda. You do not have to be rooted or have an unlocked bootloader, this is how the manufacturer will say to do it.

Edit: I see, moto g 3rd gen. I posted this on another thread as luck would have it. Someone has already extracted the images and full instructions are here:

http://www.gammerson.com/2015/08/how-to-flash-stock-firmware-of-Moto-g-3rd-gen.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2