What is Rooting and How Can I update my tablet to Lollipop?

A

AC Question

I purchased an Acer A1-840 FHD tablet. For the Price it is great. The Downfall (minor though it is) is the fact that it is Android Kit Kat 4.42 and the Ability to move apps to the External SD card does not exist. You can move DATA to the SD card using ASTRO FILE MGR. But alas no way to save space with apps.

Do I need to root my tablet? How do I get a legitimate ROM of Lollipop (android 5)??
Acer will not do the update....no interest there...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an Acer A1-840 FHD tablet. For the Price it is great. The Downfall (minor though it is) is the fact that it is Android Kit Kat 4.42 and the Ability to move apps to the External SD card does not exist.It does - if the app will run from the card. If it won't, most developers turn off the button so they don't kewep getting emails about the app not working once it's moved to the card.

You can move DATA to the SD card using ASTRO FILE MGR. But alas no way to save space with apps.
No, Android was designed to use the card for data and internal storage for apps (untill 6.0, when it was decided to add the ability to mount the card as an extension to internal storage, so apps mount to it - a VERY bad decision [IMO] for anything larger than around a 4GB phone.

Do I need to root my tablet?
NO!!! Rooting is adding a file (and an app to control it) to the phone. It has nothing to do with running apps from the SD card, it just uses up a bit of space.

How do I get a legitimate ROM of Lollipop (android 5)??
The update should come - over the air - from either Acer or the carrier, depending on the device. Check the Acer section of XDA Forums to see if anyone has a captured update file for your particular tablet model number (it normally deletes itself after the update).
Acer will not do the update....no interest there...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan