Screen Overlay Detected, what can I do?

Engineer_424

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
As I posted before, same issues but no filters like twilight. Well after alot of frustrating tries I was able to figure it out. It ended up being Clean Master. As soon as I uninstalled it the problem was gone. I haven't tried reinstalling it but I did install the lite version with no problems. I'll let you know what happens if I decide to try the full version again. Once I got an understanding of how overlaying works I realized that alot of apps could be the culprit (Any floating apps or apps with floating aspects) . Anyways hope this helps someone. This site has been a big help to me in the past so thanks to everyone for posting.
You are the man , it really worked after Uninstalled the clean master app
THANX ALOT ^__^

Michael Ball II

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
The easiest fix, only full fix, I have found is as follows. When the screen overlay screen opens in settings, just turn everything marked on to off. Which by the way is the only thing you can do on this screen. Since I did all my apps, even the ones that weren't working, are working as they should. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

ogilvie69

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: screen Overlay Detected

Power off. Reboot into safe mode. Alter allowed permissions in safe mode. Reboot. Bingo! Problem solved. This is the only procedure which worked on my S7edge.

Sina Baghali

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

Hi
I have found an easy solution for this after turning off all the apps listed in overlay error. Enable auto rotation then go to settings>application mannagement and fund your app go to permission section and rotate your phone 90 degrees afterwards you would be able to turn on all the permissions you need.

wonkeye

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
Have spent most of the day reading forums since this happened to my Note 4 today! Having read this review I disabled the Side Key Panel as suggested and "Hey Presto"!

Worked on my Note 4 too, many many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeSyrian

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
The easiest fix, only full fix, I have found is as follows. When the screen overlay screen opens in settings, just turn everything marked on to off. Which by the way is the only thing you can do on this screen. Since I did all my apps, even the ones that weren't working, are working as they should. Hope this helps someone.

I did as you said,but nothing changed. Ialso removed Clean Master only facebook messanger succeded but Whatsup failed to enable me change my profil photo!

RiaBrown

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Have spent most of the day reading forums since this happened to my Note 4 today! Having read this review I disabled the Side Key Panel as suggested and "Hey Presto"!

My Side Key Panel is always disabled, and I have still been getting it. I can't call over Facebook messenger anymore because it won't let me override the permissions. I had to uninstall and reinstall a few apps to get around that, but it wouldn't let me uninstall Facebook.

castlevape

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

Screen overlays are things created by one app that cover part or all of screen while another app is in the foreground. Example is Twilight app to reduce blue light at night to help you prepare for sleep....it applies an overlay on top of everything else to tint the screen.. In addition to apps that tint the screen, apps that put buttons or indicators floating on top of everything else are using overlays.

You can imagine it may be dangerous for android to allow you to to change a sensitive setting while an overlay is active because you may be clicking on something different than what you think you are clicking on (if the overlaying app is malicious and trying to trick you). Therefore to improve security, android doesn't allow you to change sensitive settings while an active overlay is detected.

So you need to identify the app applying the overlay:
* using app permissions settings described above for clues..
* also check recent apps and apps using memory and especially dev options/running programs for clues...
* it is narrowed down to apps with that overlay permission that are currently running a service.

Turn off the overlay FROM WITHIN THE APP THAT CREATED THE OVERLAY.

Once all overlays are disabled, you can adjust settings however you want. You can at that point also adjust permissions to deny overlay permission to the offending app if you are not satisfied with the controls within the app or the trustworthiness of the app.

Hi there
I am having the same issue and I agree with what you are saying however I have switched everything off in the overlay settings Inc system apps and I am stuck in the never ending loop .I have followed the suggestions from several forums for the last 3 days. I have uninstalled multiple apps and the only options I have left is a wipe and reinstall,(worried if I do this the issue will be saved in the backup and return when I install the backup) I so don't want to do this. When you say "look for clues" what should I be looking for ?

Robert Teixeira

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

I've got Android 6.0 and I'm having a problem with Android asking me to give apps permissions (remember the Mac commercial taunting Windows on this ten years ago?). The point is that i can't use my apps thanks to this. For example, I want to watch baseball games on my MLB At Bat app but then it asks me to enable location, which thrn takes me to a pop up window that says "Screen Overlay Detected. To change this permission setting go to..." then I'm stuck in an endless loop where i can't change any of the settings and i can't operate many of my apps.

Help!
Thanks in advance

I had same problem with my galaxy s5 to fix problem I uninstalled clean master then switch phone off. Press and hold volume up and home buttons while pressed then press on button. When phone comes on on boot let go. Then scroll to cache partition and clear it and reboot. Problem fixed.😀

Mehran CK

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site

Hey listen all of you we solved this. Just allow the permission to all interacting apps for each other. Go to Settings>General on lg g4>Apps> click dots Configure Apps > App Permission>allow permission to all apps for each other>like click contacts and give its access to storage. Whatsapp. Facebook etc>. Do for all apps which you think works by using each other. Enjoy your what's app again.

Chuck942

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site

the following solution worked fine for me on the Samsung galaxy note 4:
go to setting, choose Display and wallpaper, click One-handed operation and turn it off then go back to application manager to choose which App is not working and turn it on.
Good luck

Von Vitto

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
As I posted before, same issues but no filters like twilight. Well after alot of frustrating tries I was able to figure it out. It ended up being Clean Master. As soon as I uninstalled it the problem was gone. I haven't tried reinstalling it but I did install the lite version with no problems. I'll let you know what happens if I decide to try the full version again. Once I got an understanding of how overlaying works I realized that alot of apps could be the culprit (Any floating apps or apps with floating aspects) . Anyways hope this helps someone. This site has been a big help to me in the past so thanks to everyone for posting.

I agree. I had to uninstall DU booster. Any app you use to save energy, speed up your phone or clean trash will cause you to keep getting that message although you turned off over lay on apps in settings.

Scud_1373

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So is there an actual solution yet? Because constantly disabling apps, in part or in whole, simply because Google has no idea how to handle their own security vulnerabilities is absolutely ridiculous.

Rckfsh69

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I agree. I had to uninstall DU booster. Any app you use to save energy, speed up your phone or clean trash will cause you to keep getting that message although you turned off over lay on apps in settings.

Exactly, I'm glad you were able to get it straight. After my third g4 in 9mo, I finally had enough and got rid of it. I'm all done with lg, never again. I love some of the features but if I'm having to go through the hassle of getting replacements every few months, they're definitely not worth it to me. (my experience) Sorry for the rant,. Glad things worked out for ya.

Randallpott

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
When you see that message pop up, follow the prompt to go to settings & turn off the overlay for all apps in the list, this solved the issue for me. I don't want my apps to overlay other apps anyways so no issues there. Hope this helped.

I did this and it still will not let me change the permission on the all

Have done this several times did not fix mine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21