Android Nougat - coming in August?

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Evan Blass (EV Leaks) has said Android Nougat is coming much sooner than android versions usually come - two months earlier. Let's see if this holds true.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 18121.jpg
    18121.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 114

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I've no doubt that this allegedly stable build will be pushed out to phones enrolled in the N Beta program in August, again probably sometime in the middle of the month, since this new build contains the August security update for those phones. However, that doesn't mean that Google is going to do a general official release of N as a brand new version of Android and make it immediately available to all interested parties in August.

Google has changed the radio setup in the developer previews at lease 3 times, most recently in DP5. Unless there's been a good deal of quiet (and mighty bloody unlikely) backstage cooperation between Google and any carriers regarding those radio setups, then no carrier has as yet approved any version of N as compatible with its network. And it appears to take a minimum of 6 weeks for the carriers (U.S. carriers, at least; T-Mobile, for sure) to do whatever it is they do to satisfy themselves that a new build containing an untested radio will work as close to flawlessly as they need it to work.

So stable build or no, I think it's safer to assume that Google will stick to their usual annual program and wait to release Android N when they officially release the new 2016 Nexuses. Best case scenario: Google releases the stable build of N to the carriers in August in order to give carriers a 6-week jump on the official release of N and the 2016 Nexuses in late September. The problem with that scenario? It makes too much sense.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Since Marshmallow I no longer get excited, nor even care about Android updates. An update isn't always an improvement.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Since Marshmallow I no longer get excited, nor even care about Android updates. An update isn't always an improvement.
Well, you sound as if you've had a bad experience. But every phone I've had that upgraded from 5 to 6 was improved upon in the process... 6.0 had a long list of enhancements over 5.1. but the upgrade path is not always a smooth one. Every major upgrade has had its share of growing pains, particularly carrier specific phones. But M was superior in near every way over L.

N is the same way. I've been running the beta builds for a while now and preview 5 is excellent on both my 6P and 5X. Smooth, stable, extremely polished.

It's no shock to me that N might come soon, DP5 feels like a released product already.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, you sound as if you've had a bad experience. But every phone I've had that upgraded from 5 to 6 was improved upon in the process... 6.0 had a long list of enhancements over 5.1. but the upgrade path is not always a smooth one. Every major upgrade has had its share of growing pains, particularly carrier specific phones. But M was superior in near every way over L.

N is the same way. I've been running the beta builds for a while now and preview 5 is excellent on both my 6P and 5X. Smooth, stable, extremely polished.

It's no shock to me that N might come soon, DP5 feels like a released product already.
I agree that Marshmallow has improvements over Lollipop, but my main gripe with M is the battery life, or lack thereof.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Marshmallow has improvements over Lollipop, but my main gripe with M is the battery life, or lack thereof.
What device? My M and N battery life are both fantastic compared to my L devices (Moto X 2014 and Nexus 6). Granted I haven't used L on anything since December.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
What device? My M and N battery life are both fantastic compared to my L devices (Moto X 2014 and Nexus 6). Granted I haven't used L on anything since December.
LG G4, which apparently has one of the best batteries on the market.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
LG G4, which apparently has one of the best batteries on the market.
Well it was much better in Q2 2015 than the S6, but the S6 was remarkably bad. Many devices since then are notably better at battery life, but the G4 isn't running pure Marshmallow so it's possible that their modifications to the firmware could be grossifying performance.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Well it was much better in Q2 2015 than the S6, but the S6 was remarkably bad. Many devices since then are notably better at battery life, but the G4 isn't running pure Marshmallow so it's possible that their modifications to the firmware could be grossifying performance.
Agreed!

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site

I can't see why if DP5 is so polished they'd wait for October. I really hope that they release it in early to mid august, and i doubt that it's that far away during as the Huawei P9 recently had its N build leaked. I wonder how long it will take Lenovorola to get my Moto G⁴ Plus Nougat.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Your issues have nothing to do with M. Android 6.0 brought a ton of power efficient features to the table.

Now, there are device exceptions... But the phones I've owned that have upgraded to M... Nexus 6 and LG G4 (which wasn't all that good to begin with by the way) , both showed measurable improvements in power usage. I'm not sure what happened to your G4, but my wife's unit gained a good 30+ minutes of a available screen time due to idle drain improvements from Doze... Nexus 6 gained even more.

And N comes with an update to Doze that improves upon that even further.

Now, I'm not belittling you problems, far from it, but I'm commenting because I don't want the uninitiated to freak out and worry. M, and now N, were significant upgrades.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Your issues have nothing to do with M. Android 6.0 brought a ton of power efficient features to the table.

Now, there are device exceptions... But the phones I've owned that have upgraded to M... Nexus 6 and LG G4 (which wasn't all that good to begin with by the way) , both showed measurable improvements in power usage. I'm not sure what happened to your G4, but my wife's unit gained a good 30+ minutes of a available screen time due to idle drain improvements from Doze... Nexus 6 gained even more.

And N comes with an update to Doze that improves upon that even further.

Now, I'm not belittling you problems, far from it, but I'm commenting because I don't want the uninitiated to freak out and worry. M, and now N, were significant upgrades.
I suggest you do a Google search on G4 users whose battery life decreased since updating to Marshmallow as there are many. It may not solely be related to M, but how the G4 handles M. So either way yes it has got to do with M for some users.

For me Lollipop was far better for battery life.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I can't see why if DP5 is so polished they'd wait for October. I really hope that they release it in early to mid august, and i doubt that it's that far away during as the Huawei P9 recently had its N build leaked. I wonder how long it will take Lenovorola to get my Moto G⁴ Plus Nougat.

Yes. Also, LG confirmed that the new V20 will release is September with Nougat.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I suggest you do a Google search on G4 users whose battery life decreased since updating to Marshmallow as there are many. It may not solely be related to M, but how the G4 handles M. So either way yes it has got to do with M for some users.

Oh, and there have plenty... I know and I've helped a lot of them. But those issues have little to do with the OS release and have most everything to do with the OEM side of things. Think of it this way... you go and buy yourself a Corvette and immediately send it off to a tuner who tears the thing down to the frame rails and overhauls the thing.. replacing parts, tuning, changing the engine programming.... you get it back and a week or so later, it's running like crap, misfiring, handling is horrible and in all, the car is kind of junk. Do you blame Chevrolet?

M is substantially better than L was... visually, under the hood, everything. And from what I've seen with N so far (running it on both my 6P and N5X), there is another level of refinement to be had there. And while I am sure there will be some incidents where people have had issues with the upgrade, I would say, without hesitation, that no one should think twice taking either updates on their phones.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Also, LG confirmed that the new V20 will release is September with Nougat.

They also say it will be the "...world's first phone to launch with Android 7.0 Nougat". Nexus devices are usually the first phones to be released alongside the latest Android release. Some food for though until 7.0 is released and information on the new batch of Nexus devices are announced.

Edit: Android Central has a post up regarding the V20 being the first to launch with Nougat that is a good read: http://www.androidcentral.com/lets-talk-about-lg-having-first-phone-android-70-nougat

Last edited:

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Probably will be Q1, if not Q2 for any device that's not a nexus d3vice..... sucks.

I agree - this is why, when I finally made the move from Blackberry to Android, I made the decision to go Nexus because I had come to rely on timely and frequent updates and upgrades. (In the good old days, BB was superb at software management and taking good care of their customers.)

NEXUS 5X ON AT&T ON 7.0 DP5 - Posted via the Android Central App

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Well said....a lot of times new Android updates actually slow phones down. But people are enchanted by having something shiny and new and so do it. On the HTC m8 I went from KitKat to Marshmallow. Marshmallow has nice features but definitely doesn't run faster than KitKat. Although admittedly Marshmallow runs faster than lollipop.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a long history with cell phones but with Android 5 and Android 6 I recognized that Nexus users were beta testing the new operating systems. I didn't mind although from the complaining some obviously did. With Android 7, the beta testers have had a good stable OS to test. In my opinion it bodes well for the role out of Android 7 to other devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781