I'm so so so sick of overheating with MM and Google Maps. Looking for a workaround/solution.

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Ever since 6.0 update, I cannot use Google Maps while driving without major overheating. I know this is old news to most, but still new to me. A couple of times it has gone into Thermal Shut down. I use it daily for commuting basically to keep an eye on traffic, so it is not criticial to use it everyday, but what if I was on a long trip in an unknown area. I could get easily lost without Maps. Huge safety issue!

I have a LG G4 and supposedly Snapdragon is vulnerable to this, but I see many other similar complaints with other phones. Several other apps get warm that never used to with Lollipop. I was so impressed when I got the phone last year with Lollipop how awesome the battery usage was on my new phone. It barely used battery and charged quickly. Now it drains quickly and takes a long time to charge. I even got a brand new one from LG, but no real difference. Today I tried keeping the car charger in but the overheating still ocurred, maybe not quite as extreme - 109F after about 20 minutes. I've seen 117F before. The earlier thermal shutdown is unknown what temp it reached. I didn't have a battery temp app then. I bet at least 125F. I think this tells me that the overheating is not so much the battery as the CPU itself. I guess there's a correlation. The battery did charge a bit during the drive.

Regardless, I am looking for real solutions/workarounds. The guy at Verizon (sympathetic but useless), suggested try Waze. I tried that long ago and didn't care for the interface or the lack of precision. Could be different now. But I have seen complaints about Waze & overheating too.

I could update Maps but I am fearful that could make matters worse. Adding more features ("discover nearby experiences to explore") is hardly going to make the app leaner and meaner. But maybe there are performance changes that they don't want to feature in their description of What's New because that would acknowledge they have performance issues.

I could update to 6.0.1. The verizon guy said that is just a security update, but I've seen threads here where problems got worse with 6.0.1.

Ideally, Android/Maps/LG/Verizon are working on a real technical solution, but I highly doubt it. They are always busy with the next big thing. Rarely care about existing problems.

I wrote my dissatisfaction to LG, but that was futile. Verizon too.

Does anyone here have any knowledge about what is actually at the root of the problem and what might fix it?

p.s. system cache clean did nothing. I had already done a Maps cache clean.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Ever since 6.0 update, I cannot use Google Maps while driving without major overheating. I know this is old news to most, but still new to me. A couple of times it has gone into Thermal Shut down. I use it daily for commuting basically to keep an eye on traffic, so it is not criticial to use it everyday, but what if I was on a long trip in an unknown area. I could get easily lost without Maps. Huge safety issue!

I have a LG G4 and supposedly Snapdragon is vulnerable to this, but I see many other similar complaints with other phones. Several other apps get warm that never used to with Lollipop. I was so impressed when I got the phone last year with Lollipop how awesome the battery usage was on my new phone. It barely used battery and charged quickly. Now it drains quickly and takes a long time to charge. I even got a brand new one from LG, but no real difference. Today I tried keeping the car charger in but the overheating still ocurred, maybe not quite as extreme - 109F after about 20 minutes. I've seen 117F before. The earlier thermal shutdown is unknown what temp it reached. I didn't have a battery temp app then. I bet at least 125F. I think this tells me that the overheating is not so much the battery as the CPU itself. I guess there's a correlation. The battery did charge a bit during the drive.

Regardless, I am looking for real solutions/workarounds. The guy at Verizon (sympathetic but useless), suggested try Waze. I tried that long ago and didn't care for the interface or the lack of precision. Could be different now. But I have seen complaints about Waze & overheating too.

I could update Maps but I am fearful that could make matters worse. Adding more features ("discover nearby experiences to explore") is hardly going to make the app leaner and meaner. But maybe there are performance changes that they don't want to feature in their description of What's New because that would acknowledge they have performance issues.

I could update to 6.0.1. The verizon guy said that is just a security update, but I've seen threads here where problems got worse with 6.0.1.

Ideally, Android/Maps/LG/Verizon are working on a real technical solution, but I highly doubt it. They are always busy with the next big thing. Rarely care about existing problems.

I wrote my dissatisfaction to LG, but that was futile. Verizon too.

Does anyone here have any knowledge about what is actually at the root of the problem and what might fix it?

p.s. system cache clean did nothing. I had already done a Maps cache clean.

Google just updated maps to allow downloading of maps for offline use maybe updating WOULD help in this case.