Apex Launcher gestures not working in Nougat

TeflonDog

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I installed Nougat last week and since then I've had about 4 apps stop working. Most important of these is Apex Launcher. Gestures no longer work. Anyone else encounter this issue?

Cheers

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope....I updated to Nougat a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issue with Apex (and it's the launcher I use daily) or with the few gesture actions I have set up.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the re-install will work for you, but one thing to keep in mind as well is that Apex hasn't been updated in a year and two months. I don't want to say it's been abandoned, but that's a long time not to have any kind of updates.

TeflonDog

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Reinstalled and it still doesn't work. Actually, most of the gestures I try work but the one I was having trouble with (Recent Apps) still does not work. :p

Thanks Trigati, I now see it hasn't been updated since Dec 2014. Time to look for a new launcher. Anyone have any suggestions?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm constantly trying new launchers as they come out, and to be honest, the one I keep coming back to time and again is Nova. It's my favorite.

Two others I have fun with are Smart Launcher 3 and Action Launcher 3. But, Nova is still my favorite of the three.

There are other good launchers around (Atom, Arrow, and more), but none of them really support dynamic dates on the calendar icon (where the icon matches the current day) like Nova and Action do (and Smart Launcher uses a widget with a tappable date that opens the calendar).

TeflonDog

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I tried Microsoft's Arrow but found my phone really sluggish when it was installed.
I'll give Nova a shot. Too bad I can't test the gestures before buying the Prime version. :p

cheers

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, Nova is the closest Launcher to Apex I've found. They were both the first two I used and would switch back and forth before I decided to just stick with Nova as it did everything just a little better.

TeflonDog

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Nova seems great... after one day, at least. So I bought the Prime version.
HOWEVER... the swipe up function does not work for Recent Apps!
Can you set your gesture to "recent apps" and see if it works?
I'd think this has gotta be something with nougat.

cheers

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Obviously you're free to use your phone however you like, but why the need for that when there's a dedicated Recent Apps button?

TeflonDog

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Obviously you're free to use your phone however you like, but why the need for that when there's a dedicated Recent Apps button?
Muscle memory. It's a gesture I've been using for years. And a thumb wipe up is quicker and simpler than that button in the bottom right corner.

Anyways, the Nova developer just replied to my email and informed me that Google removed the Recent Apps gesture from Nougat. Thanks Google!

I switched to Nova and paid for Prime just for that! Oh well, seems like a good launcher so far, some nice features and cleaner UI than Apex. Not to mention it's still being updated.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Aww, sorry to hear that. I normally use the swipe up to open Google Now (and swipe down for Cortana).

Nova does have a lot of really nice customization options that other launchers don't have - such as even being able to choose the color of the page indicator. I also like the fact that not only can you set up a number of screens, but also a different number of swipeable docks. It really does have the most options I've found of any launcher.

And, again, it supports dynamic dates on the Calendar icon. It's just something I don't want to do without anymore.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough...it sucks when they take away a functionality you use. I use swipe up for Google Now for the same reason...got so used to it and then Google changed it.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever get this to work? I am dead set on my double tap to view recent apps, even though there is a dedicated button. It's muscle memory for me as well. I always use Nova or Apex. I prefer Apex because I like a few of the animations better but they are basically the same as you know. I'm thinking about trading in my S7 Edge for an LGV20, which comes with Nougat so I'm just wondering if you ever got this sorted.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever get this to work? I am dead set on my double tap to view recent apps, even though there is a dedicated button. It's muscle memory for me as well. I always use Nova or Apex. I prefer Apex because I like a few of the animations better but they are basically the same as you know. I'm thinking about trading in my S7 Edge for an LGV20, which comes with Nougat so I'm just wondering if you ever got this sorted.

Go into your Apex settings/Behavior settings...under Gestures there's an option to make a double tap pull up recent apps....not sure if this was something that was removed and added back but it's there now.

Screenshot_20161207-142349.jpg

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Go into your Apex settings/Behavior settings...under Gestures there's an option to make a double tap pull up recent apps....not sure if this was something that was removed and added back but it's there now.

View attachment 247619

Yeah, it works fine on my S7 Edge. But the OP said that he was having trouble setting up a gesture to access recent apps with Apex so I wanted to see if he actually got it to work. I know the option exists with Apex.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As much as I liked Apex, it hasn't been updated since the end of June in 2015. At this point, I think it might be time to move on from Apex to something that's still being currently supported and updated (Nova, Action 3, Smart Launcher 3 to name a few). Nova's the closest to Apex as far as feature set goes.