Is it advisable to upgrade from Marshmallow to Nougat ?

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Hello there,

I always heard a nasty rumor - they say that it is a really bad idea to upgrade the operating system of your device, because the device wasn't designed to run that brand new OS, thus it will slow down your device overall. I was even told that Apple DELIBERATELY releases new iOS all the time to make iPhones slower in order to make their consumers buy more recent iPhones, which can handle the new iOS better.
And I was wondering if it's the same for Android. I just got myself the brand new Xperia XZ, released this month, yet it runs Android Marshmallow and not Nougat. So I guess it means this smartphone was designed to run Marshmallow, not Nougat, right ? Do you think I should upgrade ?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I haven't heard much about Sony devices being ruined by an update, aside from how well Stamina Mode works. I would say just wait and see. When it comes out, just search for reviews and people's experiences with your device before updating. Don't just do it blindly.

Technically, you can stay where you are for a while since the XZ is a very new phone.

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Ok, maybe not ruined, but slightly less fast ? I just wondered if the general trend (among all devices not just Sony) of speed reduction after upgrade is a thing or just a rumor.
(and I hope it wasn't irony about Stamina Mode!)

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
😊 @the question if is advisable..upgrade from Marshmallow

to Nougat: Yeah why Not is not probed that an x Phone

can Not be updated. If it was Google should say So

Agree with libra89 to wait for 1st reviews to decide

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Phoenix Bright, I remember the nasty rumor that aliens in flying saucers were mutilating cattle and kidnapping humans for weird tests. I upgraded my Nexus 5x which is almost a year older than your Sony and it's doing great with Android 7. I don't have benchmarks but it seems snappier, battery is fine, and everything works.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
The big reason that Android is so fragmented is because it's tweaked for each device to run it optimally. Sure, if your device was rooted and you installed an OS that's not designed to run on your device it would be wrecked. When the update that is designed for your device is available, the only reason to not upgrade is if there are widespread reports of bugs and such. That does happen, but way less than it used to.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello there,

I always heard a nasty rumor - they say that it is a really bad idea to upgrade the operating system of your device, because the device wasn't designed to run that brand new OS, thus it will slow down your device overall. I was even told that Apple DELIBERATELY releases new iOS all the time to make iPhones slower in order to make their consumers buy more recent iPhones, which can handle the new iOS better.
And I was wondering if it's the same for Android. I just got myself the brand new Xperia XZ, released this month, yet it runs Android Marshmallow and not Nougat. So I guess it means this smartphone was designed to run Marshmallow, not Nougat, right ? Do you think I should upgrade ?
Are you happy with marshmallow? If you are then you need to weigh your options. Are you willing to do a complete factory reset and complete restore of your phone after the nougat update? You'll have to to get it working right. Have you researched what you're getting new with nougat? You get 2 windows open at once split screen style, and a slightly different launcher and menu look. You also get an improved doze feature that so far is debatable as to whether it's helping or hurting. The other changes apply to future phones with hardware your phone doesn't support.

If that's worth the hassle to you go for it.... If not enjoy your phone the way it is now. Only you can make that decision 😋

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5x. I moved to Android 7 with the beta and had no regrets. Factory resets are not a big deal with backups from Google but I don't think I did one when I moved to Android 7 beta.

According to my phone I have 55 apps installed. I have no games. I don't do social media. My Nexus 5x is working great and I was happy with Android 7 and with Android 7.1.1.

Whether you want to move to Android 7 or not is rather up to you. I know people who are quite happily running Android 4.4.4.

Nick Coakley

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
With nexus phones I've never had a problem going as far as they could as soon as I could. My only bad experience was with a Samsung S3 that was massively hindered by an OS update. For about 20 minutes of each hour the phone was almost completely unresponsive - four weeks of this pushed me to ditch Samsung and go with Nexus (for the record, my S3 now works fine- at some point in the 2 years I left it in a drawer Samsung clearly fixed the problem).

I've also never factory reset my Nexus devices after updates and I've never had a problem so I guess I'm luckier than some (I factory reset my poor old S3 so many times it's a wonder it didn't melt).

You can't go wrong with waiting a couple of weeks to make sure nothing bad happens in the upgrade. Then if no-one else is running around screaming, your probably good to go at that point.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I haven't done a hard reset yet after either update. I'm now running 7.1.1 and all I've done is wipe the cache after updating. So far I haven't seen any reason to perform a hard reset as my 5X is running very well.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't done a hard reset yet after either update. I'm now running 7.1.1 and all I've done is wipe the cache after updating. So far I haven't seen any reason to perform a hard reset as my 5X is running very well.

Exact same experience that I have had.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I need a Nexus lol ������
I'm sort of disheartened by the fact that there aren't any "affordable" pure Google phones available now. I don't think I can blow almost a $1000.00 on a phone. My experience with the Nexus 5X has been nothing but positive and the combination of an unlocked phone running pure Android is a winner for me.

Last edited: