I am going to buy my first smartphone this month. I really LOVE the droid, but how good is the devour?
    03-01-2010 04:49 PM
    Droid. The Devour is a lower end model in my opinion. I would go with the Droid and get the higher quality.

It will be personal preference, but I like the look of the black as well, and the D-pad of the droid. The centered keyboard of the Devour is pretty nice though....
    03-01-2010 04:50 PM
    Appluvr,

Get the Devour if you are a soical networking junkie. The MotoBlur really makes networking a snap. Great for texting and Twitter junkies. Also good for picture sharing.

Get the Droid if you are primarily going to use it for internet browsing and video and music listening. With the faster processor and better OS, the Droid wins here.
    03-01-2010 06:28 PM
    The Droid is also $50 more than the Devour, but you get:
    1) A MUCH better screen
    2) A faster chip
    3) More hacking support
    4) A gpu

That's all I can think of right now, but seriously, unless you absolutely love social networking, go Droid. Devour is nice, but will be out of date in 3 months, while the Droid might hold on until the end of the year.
    03-01-2010 07:00 PM
    Droid is without a doubt the better phone in all respects. But the devour is not a pathetic device by any means. If you're a phone junkie like all of us, then Droid wins. but if you're more likely to keep your phone stock and just download your preferred apps and have no requirement of a real fast processor (Droid overclocked) then the devour is probably a good bet. You can find a real thorough review of the Devour at Phandroid.com The devour seems great, but i'll never part from my Droid.

Devour: Motorola Devour Review | Android Phone Fans
    Droid: http://www.androidcentral.com/hardwa...-droid-verizon
    03-01-2010 11:42 PM
    The keyboard on the devour might be the one win...........maybe.
    03-02-2010 09:19 AM
    What would be the BEST android device for Verizon?
    03-04-2010 09:05 PM
    What would be the BEST android device for Verizon?
    Droid. Best Android device on any carrier hands down!
    03-04-2010 09:55 PM
    Droid, please. From what I've seen, the Devour looks like ****. AT&T also burdened it with a lot of bloatware and yanked Google out of it.
    03-05-2010 05:46 AM
    Droid, please. From what I've seen, the Devour looks like ****. AT&T also burdened it with a lot of bloatware and yanked Google out of it.
    I think you're talking about the backflip... or mispoke verizon for ATT
    03-05-2010 11:37 AM
    I am going to buy my first smartphone this month. I really LOVE the droid, but how good is the devour?
    I own both phones and feel free to ask any specific questions you may have.

To answer your question it really depends on your priorities.

The advantages of Devour are that MotoBlur social networking integration and a better keyboard. The disadvantage is the smaller screen and lower Android version (1.6). Because or MotoBlur you will be waiting a lot longer than the Droid for software upgrades though it will get 2.1 at some point when MotoBlur has been upgraded to support the new OS version. Because of the lower Android version some apps that are available on Droid wont be available on Devour. The two that come to mind that mattered to me are the Dolphin web browser and MySpace. Also you are limited to one Google/Gmail account on Android 1.6. The phone feels better in your hand than the droid and feels more durable to me. The backside of that is that you need to remove a plastic side panel to remove the battery or MicroSD card which is awkward. The lady at Best Buy was having problems when I bought the phone and I hat to tell her how to do it as I had already watched a YouTube video on it. Devour has a cool trackpad on it that the Droid does not. Devour is deffinitely a Verizon branded phone it has a lot of proprietary Verizon sofware installed (VCast Video, VCast Music, My Verizon-- this can be downlloaded from the market for Droud -- VZNavigator. No VCast Song ID yet though). Boot screen has the Verizon logo where the Droid does not.

Now the advantages of the Droid are obvious but I'll restate the most important. It's running Android 2.0.1 with no extras like MotoBlur or SenseUI and will be getting Android 2.1 soon, most likely before any other current device gets the upgrade. More and more new apps are designed for the newest version of Android. The screen is larger and gorgeous. You would not think that there would be much difference between 3.1 and 3.7 but boy is there and you definitely notice it. Droid has a better camera as a 5 MP camera with flash (vs the Devour with a 3.2 and no flash). The battery and SD card are easy to remove as needed.

Both phones are solid in the hand and heavier and based upon my limited experience with Devour this far (2 days) they seem to have similar battery life and cellular reception.

What one is better? that's really up to you....
    03-06-2010 12:51 AM
    I have the Devour and am still waffling about taking it back. Reception mine is pretty poor to say the least. The camera is definitely junk at best, considering it's a smartphone AF/flash should be standard. Some apps won't show up because of the AF issue. I did install Dolphin browser though. Sounds like some apps needed updates when it got released so that might explain some of those issues.

Performance is snappy though, it has an upgraded processor over most of the older/entry-level Android phones. The keyboard is definitely usable, I like it quite a bit. Battery life seems pretty low. Definitely charge it every night.

Most of the Motoblur stuff I don't use, though the synced contacts and ability to track your phone online is pretty cool. I do like the fact that it includes Dialer and Contact buttons tucked in next to the App drawer on every home screen, of which there are 5. And it includes true hands-free BT voice dialing--which the Droid doesn't have and it sounds like most (all?) other Android phones don't.

I've only played with a Droid for a few minutes so can't say too much about it. I do like how beefy the Devour is, doesn't feel like it will break though the smaller screen can make things a bit touchy selecting them when not zoomed in (this is where I use the optical trackpad for picking links out of a list). My 2 main gripes are the camera (which I knew about going in) and the reception issue.
    04-25-2010 06:12 PM
    Droid. Best Android device on any carrier hands down!

What about the Incredible or the EVO?
    04-28-2010 11:10 AM
    The Devour has Bluetooth voice dialing, meaning no interaction with the screen to initiate a call.
    04-28-2010 12:15 PM
    i'll still go for Devour
    04-29-2010 03:21 AM
    I am going with the droid. I thought about the devour only because of the keyboard. I also thought about the lg ally but its specs are good enough for me.
    06-07-2010 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD