Android 8.0 Oreo is here!

Kazekage1981

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I am getting really tired of Iphone (have iphone 6s) and i want to purchase the samsung galaxy s9+ with android oreo. However if i upgrade i want to know if the samsung galaxy 9 will have routine updates similar to iOS (11.1, 11.2,11.3 etc) with bug fixes and security updates. I had android long time ago back in 2011 and was disgusted at its slow performance, judder and lack of updates. iOS is smooth, buttery fast with silky smooth transition animations. If I purchase to galaxy 9, will i get newer versions of Android after Oreo without having to wait? I read into Oreos "Project Treble" and will it finally resolve the disgusting fragmentation of Android software? Will galaxy 9 update to the new Android P with ease?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I am getting really tired of Iphone (have iphone 6s) and i want to purchase the samsung galaxy s9+ with android oreo. However if i upgrade i want to know if the samsung galaxy 9 will have routine updates similar to iOS (11.1, 11.2,11.3 etc) with bug fixes and security updates. I had android long time ago back in 2011 and was disgusted at its slow performance, judder and lack of updates. iOS is smooth, buttery fast with silky smooth transition animations. If I purchase to galaxy 9, will i get newer versions of Android after Oreo without having to wait? I read into Oreos "Project Treble" and will it finally resolve the disgusting fragmentation of Android software? Will galaxy 9 update to the new Android P with ease?
No. The S9 will get Android P and Q, but it will be late, and the monthly security patches will also be delayed by anywhere between 1 week to 2mos depending on how much your carrier modifies the update themselves. This is pretty much guaranteed due to all the Samsung software features and difference in hardware.

You might say Android is fragmented, but that's the price to pay for everything to be different and for additional features on top of other Android devices. Samsung adds things like floating windows, full screen one handed mode, etc that stock Android doesn't have. The OS also does not have native support for the variable aperture on the S9 camera, since this is a Samsung first, so they have to add that in. AFAIK it cannot be an app level control otherwise it wouldn't work for other apps that utilize the camera.

If you want to have the latest updates but use Android, you'll have to go either Pixel or Nokia. These use the barebones 'unfragmented' Android that comes from Google. Of course you will lose some Samsung features but that comes as the price. You either have to choose Samsung features vs timely updates.

Kazekage1981

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
If you want to have the latest updates but use Android, you'll have to go either Pixel or Nokia. These use the barebones 'unfragmented' Android that comes from Google. Of course you will lose some Samsung features but that comes as the price. You either have to choose Samsung features vs timely updates.

So you are stating that Samsung Galaxy 9 will get Android P and Q, but it will be delayed extensively. I really thought Project Treble resolved that issue, and made it easier for Samsung to implement changes/updates faster. I mean, i cant be dishing out $600-800 every 1 to 2 years for a new phone. How much RAM/Processor Speed/GPU do you really need to making a basic phone call and text message? The reason why I want the galaxy 9 was for the following reasons:

-Oreo/Project Treble: Implementation of Updates in similar fashion with iOS
-Wireless fast charging
-Beautiful AMOLED screen
-Lots of storage space with Internal Memory + SD Card
-I hate Itunes with a passion (cant identify music, and making playlists is retarded)
-Nice decent camera
-Updated Bluetooth

I am sure there is much more to the phone then what i listed, but the basic idea is that overall the hardware is much better.

I am disappointed and not ready for Android yet. Supposedly the android P will wooo iOS users but that wont happend until Galaxy 10?! I hate waiting

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So you are stating that Samsung Galaxy 9 will get Android P and Q, but it will be delayed extensively. I really thought Project Treble resolved that issue, and made it easier for Samsung to implement changes/updates faster. I mean, i cant be dishing out $600-800 every 1 to 2 years for a new phone. How much RAM/Processor Speed/GPU do you really need to making a basic phone call and text message? The reason why I want the galaxy 9 was for the following reasons:

-Oreo/Project Treble: Implementation of Updates in similar fashion with iOS
-Wireless fast charging
-Beautiful AMOLED screen
-Lots of storage space with Internal Memory + SD Card
-I hate Itunes with a passion (cant identify music, and making playlists is retarded)
-Nice decent camera
-Updated Bluetooth

I am sure there is much more to the phone then what i listed, but the basic idea is that overall the hardware is much better.

I am disappointed and not ready for Android yet. Supposedly the android P will wooo iOS users but that wont happend until Galaxy 10?! I hate waiting
Not even project Treble will help THAT much IMO because even if it is implemented, it will still undergo testing. The OEM cannot fully test it until its final form, so it will still be slower than the Pixels. Sure it will be faster than it is now, but do not expect it to be Pixel, Nokia, or Sony fast. Right now, Samsung takes between 3 to 6mos extensive testing before it releases the next Android version. I expect Project Treble to cut that in half, but I doubt more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith