UPDATED: "Downloading in GPRS will use data. Continue?" warning is driving me nuts...

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I'm new to Android, and I'm still in the process of getting used to some of its, er, peculiarities?

For example, I often see a warning pop up on my screen, that tells me that I'm about to install an app or download an update using the cellular network instead of WiFi, and am I sure I want to continue, just in case I wouldn't know what I'm doing (of which, granted, I'm not sure 99% of the time, but that's beside the point, and I like to live on the bleeding edge anyway, and I'm rambling...)...?

This is driving nuts no end, because after checking all, and I mean ALL settings in the Parameter menu, I can't find a box to check or uncheck that will rid me of those pestering pop ups.

I must add a precision here: it doesn't come in the way of an icon in the notification area, but rather as someone here referred to as a "toast", and I have to tap "OK" every, single, darn time to proceed.

Like I said: "nuts, no end".

I've even disabled WiFi altogether, just to let the phone and the system know that the only connection available was cellular, no go.

Ideas, tips, incantations, anyone...? Please-please-please...?

UPDATE: someone in an other forum suggested that those notifications could be "toasts" to warn me of mobile data usage, and I didn't realize what a "toast" was. I took a lot for granted when I first started to use my Android phone, but I've started to gather a little more, er, data since then, and I now know what a "toast" is.

In my case, it's a dialog box, where a user input is required before the connection to mobile data can proceed. In other words, if I don't tap "OK", the app or service or process that needs to connect to the Internet to do its job will be on hold.

Of course, if that happens when the screen is locked and the phone's in my pocket, well, nothing happens...

In light of this new information, can somebody here do something for me? I must add that I've tried several third-party apps that are supposed to get rid of so-called USSD notifications (if that's what those dialog boxes are), and none worked.

In short, I'm back to square one here. I've authorized background access to mobile data to a lot of apps and services, but i suspect it's subject to a data usage limit... That I haven't set in Settings, because I don't need it ; I have two SIM cards on this phone, each with a mobile data cap at 100 GB, more than enough for my monthly consumption. (I may set it if it helps)

Last edited:

LEGEND TV

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to android central, What is your phone model and android version? Have you recently installed any third party app? Have You rooted your phone or a custom rom?

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Re: "Downloading in GPRS will use data. Continue?" warning is driving me nuts...

Hi!

My phone is a Leagoo T5C (the new one, with the SpreadTrum SoC based on the Intel Airmont x64 architecture), running Nougat 7.0.

I have installed several third-party apps, none of which has ever triggered the aforementioned warning: Dropbox, for example, or Twitter, use cellular connection all the time, without me being prompted to authorize it explicitly.

My phone is not rooted, and at the time, it's running an Oreo-like launcher on top of the OEM ROM.

Actually, the warning in question happens most when I'm on Google Play Store or the App Store (what's the difference between those two, anyway?), and I can't find anything in either settings to make it go away.

LEGEND TV

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Re: "Downloading in GPRS will use data. Continue?" warning is driving me nuts...

Hi!

My phone is a Leagoo T5C (the new one, with the SpreadTrum SoC based on the Intel Airmont x64 architecture), running Nougat 7.0.

I have installed several third-party apps, none of which has ever triggered the aforementioned warning: Dropbox, for example, or Twitter, use cellular connection all the time, without me being prompted to authorize it explicitly.

My phone is not rooted, and at the time, it's running an Oreo-like launcher on top of the OEM ROM.

Actually, the warning in question happens most when I'm on Google Play Store or the App Store (what's the difference between those two, anyway?), and I can't find anything in either settings to make it go away.

Thank you for getting back to us. Looks like the only thing that is causing this problem is one of the app you have installed. So here's the solution. Reboot your device into safe mode, which can be done in power menu by long pressing the power off button.View attachment 278693
62836.jpg
After entering the safe mode. Browse few apps like play store or browser for an hour to check if the problem still occurs. If it doesn't help then try applying a software. And if the ad doesn't occur in safe mode then probably an app is causing the problem. You can exit safe mode by rebooting your device.

And you asked for what's the difference between Play Store & App Store.
Play Store is an app by Google than can be found in ANY android devices. Where App Store is Apple based app which can only be found in Apple Devices. But play store has an open source where anyone can upload anything they want. When app store doesn't give permission to upload unless they test it.

Let me know if it worked out.👍

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site

Hi, and thanks for the quick response! I wasn't referring to Apple's App Store, but to an actual App Store I can access from my Droid, where I can download all kinds of applications, same as in Google Play Store.

As a matter of fact, many third-party apps I've installed came from that App Store (Dropbox, Twitter, among them), and I'm regularly proposed to update them when a new version is available; that's when I get the warning about data being consumed, and I have to OK it.

I'm currently using my phone in modem mode, but I'll try and reboot in Safe Mode later on. I'll tell you how it went.

Last edited:

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site

I haven't had the time to try yet, but I misspoke, regarding the application that mainly caused the issue: it's the Google Play Store, not the App Store (I'd really like to know why there are two different places you can download apps from...).

Today, I had a bunch of updates to install, and sure enough, I got the warning each and every time.

Nuts.

No end...

I'm gonna try the Safe Mode reboot, just in case. I'll keep you posted!

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site

OK, I've got a problem: I did as you suggested, but I don't find "reboot in safe mode"... I can either turn the device off by swiping the screen down, or press "Reboot", or "Cancel", but no safe mode...

Am I missing something, or is there some setting to enable before you can reboot in safe mode?

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site

EDIT: I managed to boot in Safe Mode, but I didn't really know how to test my issue once there; the warning didn't show up, but then I had no app to update via the Play Store...

LEGEND TV

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site

Do you only get the problem while updating apps?
If that's the problem then just uninstall the third party app store that you've installed. The problem will be solved. If not then I'm always here. :)

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site

In fact, I didn't install that extra-App Store, it was already on my device, and I can disable it, but not uninstall it. The warning shows up when I try to install or update an app from the Google Play Store, not that App Store (is it Amazon's?).

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site

As you can see, I have 4 apps awaiting update, and if I do update them, I don't receive any warning. It's just with the Google Play Store and (possibly) third-party apps that I've installed, but I can't find which one(s)...

LEGEND TV

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site

Google play store don't support ads. (at least that you're having)
Could you email me the list of the spps that you have installed? I'll look through and and tell you the exact cause.
My email is : tanishqpatil405@gmail.com

UglyStuff

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site

As a matter of fact, most of the apps I've installed came from this App Store (apparently, judging from its icon, it's Leagoo's own App Store): Dropbox, Twitter, and a slew of other apps...

I just hope they're genuine...

If I remember correctly, I had trouble accessing the Play Store (I later realized it was AdBlock's fault: it changes the DNS server IPs, and Google mustn't like that...), and I resorted to that second-tier App Store to install what I needed to be in business.

LEGEND TV

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site

As a matter of fact, most of the apps I've installed came from this App Store (apparently, judging from its icon, it's Leagoo's own App Store): Dropbox, Twitter, and a slew of other apps...

I just hope they're genuine...

If I remember correctly, I had trouble accessing the Play Store (I later realized it was AdBlock's fault: it changes the DNS server IPs, and Google mustn't like that...), and I resorted to that second-tier App Store to install what I needed to be in business.

Solution: Perform a factory reset and avoid third party apps (esp. non trusted) and download apps using play store only.

Note: performing factory data reset will erase all data. Please back up your files before reset.

shoban raj

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site

I too have this problem in my leagoo T5c, I have done factory reset too, increased the data warning data. No use...