Android 8.0.0 Extend Secure lock timeout (NOT screen timeout)

rsaritzky

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
This is related to Android 8.0.0 as the Settings menu structure on previous versions of Android has these options in different location(s).

My understanding is that there is a separate setting for when the phone enters "secure lock mode" (meaning you have to reenter your pin, password or swipe pattern) as opposed to the screen timeout which turns off the screen after a specified period of inactivity.

1. If this option is available does anyone know if the option is "invisible" if you have not yet set up a secure lock screen?

2. If this option is available does anyone know where in the settings menu in Android 8.0.0 this option is?

My goal is to have to enter the lock pattern as infrequently as possible. I am frustrated in Android 8.0.0 on my Galaxy Note 8 because it requires a lock screen in order to use fingerprint recognition in apps. Why they insist on a lock screen just to use fingerprint recognition on an Android app I have no idea. On my old Galaxy S6 I could use fingerprint recognition in my apps without having a lock screen - that is really my goal - but if I could disable the lock screen for 2 hours or 12 hours or 24 hours I guess that would be a reasonable workaround.

Lastly, where is the best place to suggest a change in future versions of Android to not require a lock screen in order to use fingerprint recognition in apps?

Thanks,

Ron

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's an odd issue -- it definitely doesn't happen on my Pixel 2 XL running Pie. For apps that can use fingerprint unlock, it simply shows up within the app's unlock screen -- the system lockscreen never shows up. So this isn't something native to Android (or at least Google's version of Android) -- it's presumably due to Samsung (or perhaps the app developers not implementing the fingerprint unlock correctly). I'd send feedback to Samsung rather than Google about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay