Is it good we can't install/run apps on sd cards?

LaxerFL

Feb 15, 2019
Visit site
I know the ability to install and run apps on the sd card was removed from Android awhile back, not sure what exact version number but I do know it was a few years ago. My question is, why?

I see quite a few people on various Android forums that consider it a good thing that this ability was removed and I don't understand why.

My last phone was a very cheap ZTE on a prepaid TMobile account and it didnt have much internal storage, 3GB I think (it's over 3 years old). I was not able to keep all the preinstalled apps upgraded as I ran out of storage let alone install anything new...

Being able to install and run apps on my sd card would have been amazing for me in this instance but i found i was no longer able to do that. Recently I upgraded to an LG Stylo4 (which I am LOVING aside from not the best battery life) with 16GB of built in storage, so I no longer need my sd card for apps but I still am curious as to why this was removed and why people think it's good it was removed?

With the large size and low price of sd cards these days, it seems like it would be advantageous to be able to use one to store and run apps. Allowing people on budget phones the freedom to install and update whichever apps they need/want.

Was it removed to force people to spend more on the phone to get the storage they need? That doesn't seem like something Google would do with Android since it would only really benefit the phone manufactures more than anyone (I know Google makes phones but that isn't what they are really known for, now is it? ;-))

Was it a performance or security issue? Either of those reasons i can understand. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
LaxerFL

Ps: anyone know why my autocorrect only capitalizes the "i"s I type sometimes? In my post above, i hit the "i" key and sometimes it capitalizes it for me via autocorrect and sometimes it doesn't and I don't understand why. Thanks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hands down - performance. An SD card will never match the performance level of the internal storage on the phone.
Reliability is another factor. SD cards have a limited number of write cycles before they start degrading. I've read that Android apps like to save their state frequently, and that state is part of what the app would write to the SD card. Those constant writes will lead to premature death of the card.

Android never FULLY moved apps to the SD anyway, there was always part of the app still in internal storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34