Need help setting up new LG Premier Pro LTE -TFW (Tracfone Wireless)

Trac1

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
I'm trying to set up a new LG Premier Pro LTE for my husband. ( I am well versed in Apple speak but he prefers the LG because our previous phones were LG. I ended up going to iPhone because I've always had Macs and iPads)

Here it the thing. I am dyslexic and the Oreo OS looks very different coming from Lollipop.

My questions:

I feel like I did something wrong in the settings because every so often the phone says on the screen that it took a screenshot ? How to stop that?

2. Also, when sending a text, there's a little blue window saying "chat" which I am assuming is to begin group chat.

3. I've downloaded Swipe Up Utility as we had it on our previous phones to avoid accidentally swiping up. But, when I swipe up, it shows "no recents on screen". How to get rid of this?

4. in wifi settings it says "mobile network" - do I need this on? I've set the WiFi network.

Thanks to anyone entertaining these questions with any helpful answers I am not sure if I put this to the correct category- I can't find my phone on the list.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I did something wrong in the settings because every so often the phone says on the screen that it took a screenshot ? How to stop that?
Pressing Volume Down and Power at the same time does that.

2. Also, when sending a text, there's a little blue window saying "chat" which I am assuming is to begin group chat.
I don't know that one (I don't use texting for chat.)

3. I've downloaded Swipe Up Utility as we had it on our previous phones to avoid accidentally swiping up. But, when I swipe up, it shows "no recents on screen". How to get rid of this?
That's baked into Android - when you swipe up from the Home button, you get the Recents (recently used apps) screen. It's handy when switching back and forth between a couple of apps (like a screen that needs a login and a password manager).

4. in wifi settings it says "mobile network" - do I need this on? I've set the WiFi network.
In Communications, it says WiFi network. You may want to change WiFi networks in the future. It's part of Android. If you see "WiFi network as one of your WiFi signals, someone has named their router WiFi network. (Strange, but not illegal. You may also see things like "FBI Surveillance Truck" or "Not Your WiFi".)

Trac1

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
first I want to thank you for breaking this down- made it easy for my dyslexia to stay focused.

1. I wasn't pressing the volume down and power at the same time- that's why I don't understand why it took screenshots. It was as if some app was doing it.

2. The thing about the "chat" showing when I'm texting? We don't do group chat either. Is there a way to prevent someone from initiating group chat? Disable group chat or group text ?

3. Recents - there is no way to make it disappear? It's very confusing since we both only use these phones for texting/talking and nothing else at all. No way to disable recents?

4. Literal FACEPALM. I was tired. :-X

Ok. a few more things.

5. What is this setting, "limit mobile data usage" - should it be on, or off? Right now is off. MOBILE DATA LIMIT ON OR OFF .PNG

6. Here is another one: switch to mobile data when Wifi not available. I have it switched off. Should I switch on?
android switch to mobile data yes or no? It's off now.jpg
FWIW this is TracFone wireless. This phone has 8k minutes , 3600 texts, 6.78 Data - (we only use for text/phone calls) so want to know if the settings are good.

thanks again for all the help. I hope I can get in here when you reply- just remember it's dicey on my end for some reason.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
first I want to thank you for breaking this down- made it easy for my dyslexia to stay focused.
It's easier for me to answer multiple points this way too.

1. I wasn't pressing the volume down and power at the same time- that's why I don't understand why it took screenshots. It was as if some app was doing it.
I'd have to see it happening to help any further, then - and unfortunately, TracFone doesn't have a store you can bring it to. (Walmart sells them, but their sales people are just that - sales people, not phone technicians.

2. The thing about the "chat" showing when I'm texting? We don't do group chat either. Is there a way to prevent someone from initiating group chat? Disable group chat or group text ?
No, you can only control what you do, not what others do.

3. Recents - there is no way to make it disappear? It's very confusing since we both only use these phones for texting/talking and nothing else at all. No way to disable recents?
Just don't swipe up from the home button.

5. What is this setting, "limit mobile data usage" - should it be on, or off? Right now is off.
If you want to limit the amount of mobile data your apps use, it should be on. Talk and text don't use any (but MMS does, and you can't limit that, so set your text app to allow it to break up long teexts to avoid that).

6. Here is another one: switch to mobile data when Wifi not available. I have it switched off. Should I switch on?
Again, that's for apps that use mobile data or WiFi - talk and text don't use wither - except texts over 140 characters, so set it to allow texts to be broken into 140 character long pieces. (You'll still get them as a single text.)

thanks again for all the help. I hope I can get in here when you reply- just remember it's dicey on my end for some reason.
If you're using the phone, that's mobile data or WiFi. And if you don't have WiFi, and the carrier you chose (TracFone lets you use any of the 4) doesn't have a good signal where you are, it will be "dicey". Try making sure that you're on a good WiFi signal, or use a PC or laptop. (I almost never use my phone to get here - I prefer a nice clackey keyboard and a real mouse.

Trac1

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
1. I hear you on this. I wondered it might have been some kind of app.

2. Makes perfect sense! :cool:

3. Duly noted.

5. Ok so allow it for text app? (the MMS thing? How to do it?

6. makes sense but can you direct me to that settings?

I'm actually on iMac- initially can't get in mostly on iPads and iPhone but, sometimes lately also it doesn't let me in on the iMac. (even when clearing the cookies, website data, etc.)

and since we both forgot to put # 4

4. On find my device, it still is showing an older device. That older device was signed out of googles when the new device came. But now annoyingly shows up. I remember there is a way to remove it - but I looked at securtity which only shows current devices. I do remember a setting buried somewhere because I removed my other LG phone when I got the iPhone. Do you know this setting to remove it ?

ANDROID FIND SHOWS TWO DEVICES.jpg

again I want to thank you again for taking such time to help me. Maybe I can be a bit more fluent in Android :)

Trac1

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
I found out how: Had to go Google Play Settings- I saw list of devices -. Visibility was checked for the new phone and the old one. Had to uncheck "show in menus" and that fixed it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I found out how: Had to go Google Play Settings- I saw list of devices -. Visibility was checked for the new phone and the old one. Had to uncheck "show in menus" and that fixed it.
I'm glad you got it sorted and posted your solution. That will be helpful to other people having the same problem.