batmanxgr

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the A2109 from best buy for $259.99. I own the K1 which is currently in transit to Lenovo in Texas to be repaired. It might need a system board.

Initial impression of the A2109 are a little smaller, build quality feels better and WAY BETTER WiFi signal than K1!!!

Screen is nice and slightly vibrant colors compared to K1. The 9" screen seems a little small at first but you forget about it after awhile. My buddy felt the screen seem low res. I think the screen looks good and better than any Lenovo tablet so far.

Processor. Fast! The quad-core tegra 3 is fast compared to the K1 tegra 2. And it should. I wish fallen realm was still up so I could run a test. As a quick test I played angry birds seasons. And it ran super smooth, the smoothes I have seen it run yet.

UI. The A2109 is running a custom launcher. You can alter icons, the way the pages swipe I.e. zoom, windmill and rotate. There are other little changes you can make aswell. Screen rotation is fast compared to the K1...way faster.

My biggest selling point about this tablet is the Wifi signal. The antenna is way stronger. I have an HTC flyer running 2.3, did not update it to 3.1. The Flyer get an excellent/good signal where I normally seat. The K1 would get a fair/bad signal. The speed test would also reflect it aswell. The A2109 gets an excellent/good signal and receives a 11mbps DL/1.5 mbps UP. The K1 was always half that speed.

At $259.99 this is an great deal. I only wish this was 32gb.

batmanxgr

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to point out something for the A2109 users out there and people reading my initial review. Yesterday I was at FRY'S and they had the S2109 on display. I was able to play with it and here are something's I notice.

A2109 versus S2109

UI, the A2109 comes with a custom Launcher. It does allow easier navigation and shortcuts for apps. A lot easier than stock ICS. The S2109 does not have a custom launcher and comes with stock ICS. No bells and whistles or Lenovo custom widgets. This is really disappointing considering the K1 came with custom widgets or atleast one.

Performance, The A2109 runs smooth and fast. The Tegra 3 1.2GHZ Quad-core processor allows you to go in and out of apps with no problem. You still get an occasional hiccup or pause but, that's Android. The S2109 runs a little choppy. I'm presuming this is because the S2109 runs a Texas Instrument OMAP Dual-core Cortex processor at 1GHZ. Even navigating thru the setting the S2109 ran choppy.

System resources, I notice something about Android devices. Some device only show half the RAM when you are in Running app. This is found by Settings>Apps>Running or Running Services. I don't know why and I don't care. All I know I want to see all my RAM usage.

My HTC Flyer shows 219used/514free totaling 733MB shown out of 1GB of RAM. The Lenovo K1 showed half the RAM being used like 200used/312free totaling 512MB as an example. Even though the K1 has 1GB of RAM. Running would not show the other half. The A2109 does it like the HTC Flyer and shows the better portion of the RAM usage. Currently the A2109 shows 629used/346free totaling 975MB shown out of 1GB of RAM. If I stop Norton Anti virus app, it would free up 292MB of RAM. The S2109 showed half the RAM like the K1 does...which bothers me.

After playing with the S2109 the A2109 is an AMAZING BUY for $259.99 @Best Buy or in general. The S2109 was selling for $349.99 @ FRY'S which doesn't seem bad until you get your hands on the A2109. I say get the A2109 if you can. More bells and whistles, basically more bang for the buck.

Stay away from the S2109. Between the A2109 and the S2109, I feel Lenovo dropped the ball on the S2109. because the screen aspect ratio is a 4x3 ratio like IPad making it more natural to hold to most users. Just to note, the build quality and screen was really good on the S2109.

I haven't updated my A2109 yet and I'm afraid to. If someone can find a change log on the A2109 that would be great.

Note: the S2109 does not have a GPS or rear camera. The A2109 is still going for $259.99 @ Best buy. This is the best tablet under $300. Also, A2107s are at Best Buy for $159.99.

Thanks

Last edited:

bearballz72

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
A week or two back I was in BB and played around with the latest Levovo tablet. Not a experience at all, but I doubt I would ever buy another Android based Levovo product.

I was an owner of the K1,and for the first 6 months I had no issues at all. Then I started encountering a ton of problems with it and had to send it away 3 times to be repaired. They ended up sending me a 64gb Thinkpad tablet because the K1 was discontinued (then the TPT was discontiued and Levovo released a W8 model).

$250.00-$300.00 sounds like a great price but with Lenovo going all in on Windows 8 I really don't know if it's worth it getting a Android based Lenovo tablet. I have no real complaints about my TPT but it's stuck on ICS with no plans of upgrading to Jellybean. Plus the bootloader is locked so it's pretty difficult to root it. That's what I fear about future Lenovo Android products, no support or updates.

I have a Ipad 2 and just bought a Nexus 7 (32gb) which I'm in love with, so my TPT is going to my GF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol