Why is my battery draining really fast when under 15?

Ivan Todorov

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
battery draining really fast when under 15%

Hello,
A couple of weeks ago i received a gift for my Bday - lenovo A5500H tablet, running on android 4.2....great device.
Few day later, i upgraded to 4.4.2.KK (017_140709_ROW)
Not sure but that caused the following problem - battery drains from 100 to 15% normaly depending on the usage (usually 2-3 days) ... However when the "low battery / charge your device " notification pops up on exactly 15% the battery starts to drain really fast ... not more than a minute and baterry goes down to 0 and tablet switches off.

Anybody else experiencing the same problem? Is it some kind of bug in the KK?

Thnx for help

Jynx Quinn

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: battery draining really fast when under 15%

I'm no professional android user, but I do know that draining your battery to zero is not good. Not saying that you're doing it intentionally, as you have stated that it drains from 15% - 0 in about a minute. My only advice, if you haven't done it already, is to set up battery saver when it reaches 20%. Then find a charger fast. The point would be to keep your device from fully discharging your battery.

Posted via Android Central App

Ivan Todorov

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for suggestions guys! I think it is a calibration issue indeed. Yday it stayed on 47 % for a couple of hours during heavy use (browsing,wifi,watching clips etc.)...so worth calibrating the battery. This is my 1st android device so im just getting started with it
Cant find the attach button in the forum. Is there any?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

There's a paper clip icon on the Android Central app, though I like many prefer the way the Tapatalk or AC Forums app versions do it.
On a browser I think you need advanced mode when posting. I have never used the mobile browser site.
y7a7esyv.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for suggestions guys! I think it is a calibration issue indeed. Yday it stayed on 47 % for a couple of hours during heavy use (browsing,wifi,watching clips etc.)...so worth calibrating the battery. This is my 1st android device so im just getting started with it
Cant find the attach button in the forum. Is there any?

It's funny you should mention the battery percentage sticking, because I had a similar experience the other day with battery usage stats, which not only stuck during several hours of use, but were seriously abnormal. Madd54 and N4 Newbie helped me out. I think I tried everything before it was resolved, so with your problem, just remember...Try everything!

Ivan Todorov

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok...couldnt find attach button on the mobile version so downloaded tapatalk. Here ' s what im talking about
uploadfromtaptalk1406667214921.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406667148312.jpg

And 4 hours later im still on 25percent

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

As N4Newbie said, read Battery University. Draining a lithium ion battery down to 15% regularly is about the definition of "bad idea". The battery won't last much more than a year - 2 if you're really lucky. A well-treated lithium ion battery should last for many years, but that means charging at the 40%-60% discharge point - IOW, only about half the rated capacity of the battery is usable. (That's how chemistry and physics works. They're working on new technology, like graphite or powdered silicon cathodes, but right now we're stuck with the current batteries being the highest power density portable storage we can make.) Look at Table 2 at How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University and figure it out. Draining the battery almost all the way gives you almost twice the charge time but only 1/3 (at best) the battery life. If you need more time than a 50% discharge can give you, carrying a spare charged battery or two with you is a much cheaper alternative to spending about 8 months until the charge time starts getting shorter. (A pair of good batteries and a charger that can charge one battery out of the phone runs under $25 for almost any phone.)

When we get powdered silicon lithium ion batteries, if the manufacturers don't play their usual tricks (price rules - so make a tiny battery that still gives only 8 hours of use), we'll have power densities that will give us 3 days to 50%. That's about 2 charges a week, and a battery that will last until the phone is so old that it sells on Craig's List for $10. (But it's more likely that we'll see batteries the size of large postage stamps instead - with the same power as today's batteries.)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm no professional android user, but I do know that draining your battery to zero is not good. Not saying that you're doing it intentionally, as you have stated that it drains from 15% - 0 in about a minute. My only advice, if you haven't done it already, is to set up battery saver when it reaches 20%. Then find a charger fast. The point would be to keep your device from fully discharging your battery.

Hey! Long time no see! Glad you are still hanging around!!

That 's what happened to me mins ago...so problem still persists .....

View attachment 137046

To the original point:
I am inclined to agree with Jynx, and the others who have said about draining the battery to 0. Usually not a good idea. Have you tried a factory reset?

Ivan Todorov

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

I know its a bad idea and usually charge it when batt.down to 30-40%...last time i was playing a game foe quite a long and lost sense for time, so when the low batt.norification popped up i jumped off the some to put it on charger but had only like 10-15secs before it switched off....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech