PSA: Lenovo Tab 4 adware

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I got a Lenovo Tab 4 8" last year for my daughter, and then recently got two more (refurbs for $89 each) for my mother and myself, since it's a remarkably decent tablet for the price. But be aware that the preinstalled File Manager app (CZ File Manager) includes adware (some kind of "Earn Cash Rewards" popup). Fortunately, you can uninstall this file manager, and install a good one, like Total Commander or Files by Google. Other bloatware that I was able to uninstall were Empire (a game), ShareIt, and the various Microsoft apps. I'm guessing the same goes for the Lenovo Tab 4 10".

kgambino

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I got a Lenovo Tab 4 8" last year for my daughter, and then recently got two more (refurbs for $89 each) for my mother and myself, since it's a remarkably decent tablet for the price. But be aware that the preinstalled File Manager app (CZ File Manager) includes adware (some kind of "Earn Cash Rewards" popup). Fortunately, you can uninstall this file manager, and install a good one, like Total Commander or Files by Google. Other bloatware that I was able to uninstall were Empire (a game), ShareIt, and the various Microsoft apps. I'm guessing the same goes for the Lenovo Tab 4 10".
I took your advice and bought Lenovo P10 Z Series. It has 4gb ram and 64gb memory with micro sd expansion enabled. I bought it on black Friday on the Lenovo website. It arrived and included a dock (which I didn't expect) & has Alexa built in. I paid $175. It immediately updated to 9.0 The same tab at Best Buy is $300.Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like a great deal! 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage are a significant improvement over the Tab 4 series, and the dock is a nice bonus. Enjoy!

countryblue

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I took your advice and bought Lenovo P10 Z Series. It has 4gb ram and 64gb memory with micro sd expansion enabled. I bought it on black Friday on the Lenovo website. It arrived and included a dock (which I didn't expect) & has Alexa built in. I paid $175. It immediately updated to 9.0 The same tab at Best Buy is $300.Thank you for sharing your expertise.
I just now did the same, but you say the dock is included. That would be nice.

I'm also interested in a keyboard case for it. I found one that has is described as having a wireless keyboard, not bluetooth. Maybe it's a misprint? Does your unit have an interface for a wireless receiver?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm also interested in a keyboard case for it. I found one that has is described as having a wireless keyboard, not bluetooth. Maybe it's a misprint? Does your unit have an interface for a wireless receiver?

My guess is they mean "Bluetooth" when they say "wireless."

kgambino

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My guess is they mean "Bluetooth" when they say "wireless."
I only use my tablet at home; so, yes, it is wireless. I only use the virtual keyboard, so I am not qualified to respond to that. For that matter, I am not qualified for much. Just a Grandma who knows likes to learn new stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol