katvo

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with a Verizon rep on the phone yesterday, she told me (if she is to be believed) the they are skipping 2.2 because of software issues on the Ally and other phones running 2.1 and going straight to 2.3 and the update should be out "soon".

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Really? Last night, had a meltdown of sorts on wife's Ally. She's no power user, but after downloading the Angry Birds update, she couldn't open it, and wondered why she wasn't getting automatic updates for anything.

And then I remembered, 2.2 lets us move things to the card, and set Automatic Update on our apps. So she dumped a bunch of stuff that she doesn't use, it would run, but just barely. She's been running it on an iTouch, so this was the first try on the Ally. It was in molasses.

So the Ally definitely is NOT what I'd first thought. Now I see VZW is running out a new Moto midrange/lowpriced phone...but it's too late for us.I think I can no longer recommend this until/unless 2.3 resolves some of this.

katvo

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I can run Angry Birds just fine, but I use Launcher Pro along with System Panel Lite, and that makes a huge difference.
When I first got my phone, before I realized it can't handle a lot of apps installed at the same time, I made the mistake of downloading like 25+ apps. The thing would hardly run! I decided to do a full reset and start all over, this time with the above mentioned apps, and it's rare I have a meltdown now.
I was also very disappointed with the Ally at first, but now that I know what to actually expect from it, it's not too bad. Actually, I'm tethering with it right now as I type.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My daughter's is fine, she runs AB just fine. Maybe I need to check the wife's running apps setting to see what else might be afoot...and get her a file manager to move some things and delete more...

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Yep, daughter now says she really can't run Angry Birds...and since we can't move stuff to the card...

Really sucks. 2.2 would not diminish performance, it would enhance it since you could clear memory up...duh.

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome