Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
maybe.. I wouldn't put too much stock in it though. This is LG's first android phone for verizon so you would hope they want to see it do well (and it should handle 2.2) but it all depends on how much Google/Verizon pressure them to update it.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Tmak04,

If you do a YouTube search you will find a couple of videos comparing the Moto Droid to the Ally. Do you already have a Moto Droid? If so, I wouldn't recommend replacing it with an Ally. I'd wait for the Droid 2. If you are looking to get into Android cheaply and are a tinkerer I would recommend the Moto Droid. It's been around for a long time and there are a number of ROMs available as well as methods to overclock the CPU. Either way, I think both phones are great...just different.

Steve in CT

PGHammer

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
If the phone is for an Android "rookie" (someone new to Android and not necessarily thinking about rooting their phone), the Ally makes for a great starter, especially if you're a fan of Big Red's network. If migrating from another Android phone, then the Droid 2 (possibly the X, if you need a larger screen, or the Samsung Fascinate if you want the butt-kicker combo of S-AMOLED and Android on VZW) would make more sense than the Ally or even a Droid.

sookster54

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
If the phone is for an Android "rookie" (someone new to Android and not necessarily thinking about rooting their phone), the Ally makes for a great starter, especially if you're a fan of Big Red's network. If migrating from another Android phone, then the Droid 2 (possibly the X, if you need a larger screen, or the Samsung Fascinate if you want the butt-kicker combo of S-AMOLED and Android on VZW) would make more sense than the Ally or even a Droid.

Not necessarily true, the keyboard is one of the best out of most phones I've checked out. Also not everyone is a fan of carrying around a 3.7" or 4" phone, there's several reasons why experienced Android users would pick this phone- it's a matter of preference, and the keyboard being one of them for me since the virtual keyboard isn't always that great, and I don't like the Milestone's keyboard. I have a Motorola Charm which has a nice keyboard as well but that device has its limits, and I'm not liking Motorola anymore anyhow.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
FYI for those interested, my wife picked up an ally last night. When we were in the VZW store there was an LG rep there and she confirmed that 2.2 was approved for the Ally and should be released soon. She couldn't give me a firm date though.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
My wife just got the 2.2 OTA last night, seemed to install just fine from what she said. I haven't checked it out on her phone but she did call and say she was able to download angry birds so she's happy..LOL

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Update...

What I thought was 2.2 is apparently some type of 2.1-1 build that was pushed down to her Ally last night. She does indeed have angry birds now on her phone but short of that it seems to some sort of other OTA update. I'll play around with it more tonight after work and see what else there is to it.

MadDog986

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to think I need to take my phone back and get a newer model that already has 2.2 since LG doesn't want to give us 2.2. I want Flash 10!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I am learning that it IS slower. Didn't notice it at first, but my daughter runs Angry Birds, barely, and it'll forceclose at times. So once we load 'em up with apps and all, there is a discernible difference. Not enough to bother with usually, and it would be nice to have 2.2.

BuDMaN 53

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
The Ally has a 600 MHz processor with 256M RAM as apposed to the Dinc's 1Gig Snapdragon processor and 512M RAM. My wife is really mad at Angry Birds so it's working pretty well on her Ally. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital