We've got the LG G Flex 2, you've got questions. Let's do this.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
No benchmarks yet. Performance seems decent, if variable. Certainly not a quantum leap beyond good Snap 805 phones.

That's disappointing and shocking, with an upgraded CPU and half the resolution - you'd expect this thing to be running circles around the G3/Note 4... Synthetic benchmarks will likely paint a different picture, but it's disheartening to hear you say that about your real world experience (brief as it may be). Maybe it's just setup jankyness...I do notice that it takes a couple of hours for everything to null out - here's hoping.

Jack

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
FM radio? Is there a built in app? If not does next radio work?

Posted via the Android Central App on note 3, Samsung Tab Pro 12.2, moto g, moto 360, s4, s3, and HTC vivid
No built-in FM app. Third-party ones should work though.

When the helk is the states getting the phone?!

Posted via the Android Central App
No firm date yet. You might start to see carrier marketing for it sooner rather than later, however. ;)

Is this phone worth getting in terms of future-proof? Or would we be better off waiting for the G4, M9, or S6?
Personally I'd wait on the G4, M9 or S6.

That's disappointing and shocking, with an upgraded CPU and half the resolution - you'd expect this thing to be running circles around the G3/Note 4... Synthetic benchmarks will likely paint a different picture, but it's disheartening to hear you say that about your real world experience (brief as it may be). Maybe it's just setup jankyness...I do notice that it takes a couple of hours for everything to null out - here's hoping.

Jack
Early G3 software builds had similar wonk. And as you say, I've only had a few hours with the phone so far.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
No built-in FM app. Third-party ones should work though.

Thanks for the reply Alex!

On the FM tuner q...I wonder if it'll be a carrier option, much like how Sprint sees fit to add a FM tuner to every Samsung device (verified by surprise upon inspection this afternoon...the Note 4 has an FM tuner...)...here's hoping...still a lot of good use cases for FM tuners in mobile devices!

Posted by my Note 4, or Nexus 9...****, maybe by a Note 2014 ed. or hell...maybe it was this Nexus 4 or 5...oh, snap...there's Nexus 7. okay, I need to clean...

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

Jack
Man don't even put the g3 in the same category as the note 4.

Sent from my glorious note 4.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Jack

Without a full sweep of benchmarks (that should be coming soon) I'm going to talk a little bit about the sd810 and the adrino 430 graphics processer as compared to the 805 and the 420 adrino....

First, the 810 is (or should be) not much better then the 805 in benchmarks. If you're expecting a "night and day" difference, you'll be disappointed. Where it should shine is with 64-bit apps. but we know that that isn't going to happen over night. So if you are coming from the 801 like in the G3, S5, or m8, then yes it is an upgrade. If you're coming from a note 4 or nexus 6, then this is a side grade and you shouldn't see much improvement if at all. (I think that the big question is that when shooting 4K video, does the CPU shut down the camera in 3 mins or does it let you continue... And by how long?)

The same can be said about the adrino 430 as the improvements in the 430 seem to be all about the "shaders" and not much else as compared to the 420. So on shader intensive games it will do better then say the 420 in the note 4. But it is not an upgrade to the 420. Yet say that you have the G3, S5, or m8...Yes it is an upgrade to the adrino 330.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Last edited:

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Alex,
Like most others before me I'm curious about the 810 & heating\performance issues, GSMarena's review went live & they said the 810 gets throttled on certain situations until it cools down (paraphrasing) & the phone can get warm sometimes ... But they didn't specify, Warm as in like all phones or Warm is in uncomfortably warm like the early Tegra2 & TI OMAP4 powered devices.

I'd appreciate it if you shed some light on this matter on your review.

Thanks.

Dennis Warwick

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'd really like to know more about the flexible chassis. Just how bendy is it? Is there concern about flex fatigue? Like when you bend a piece of metal back and forth enough it begins to soften and eventually breaks. What about the internal pcb, is this flexible as well? Thanks!

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately you guys here at AC make this phone sound like hot garbage. I trust your reviews so I'll be passing on this phone as a replacement for my Note 3. Hopefully something better comes out later this year. Bummer, I was really hoping this would be my next phone to.

Posted via Android Central App

mltvfl

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Alex, I was wondering if you know if the G Flex 2 comes with full device encryption by default like the Nexus 6? I know that devices updated to Lollipop do not get encrypted during the update, but curious as to whether new devices shipping with 5.0+ will be encrypted like the Nexus 6.

Posted from my SM-N910A

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Alex, I was wondering if you know if the G Flex 2 comes with full device encryption by default like the Nexus 6? I know that devices updated to Lollipop do not get encrypted during the update, but curious as to whether new devices shipping with 5.0+ will be encrypted like the Nexus 6.

Posted from my SM-N910A

Now that is an awesome question. In fact, I think that all full reviews here at AC should include that answer on if the manufacturer encrypted their devices or not. And if so, how did it act or behave.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Last edited:

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd really like to know more about the flexible chassis. Just how bendy is it? Is there concern about flex fatigue? Like when you bend a piece of metal back and forth enough it begins to soften and eventually breaks. What about the internal pcb, is this flexible as well? Thanks!

It's not massively flexy. Requires more force to bend it than the original G Flex for sure. No word on breakability, but I have yet to break mine.

What about the buttons ? Notice any difference to previous iterations ?
Which buttons? Soft keys are Lollipop-style. Back buttons are similar to the G3's, only with a slightly different texture.

Posted from my SM-N910A
Full device encryption is turned off by default on this Korean unit.
Does the P-OLED display save more battery, as compared to LG's usual LCD displays?
If anything it seems more power-hungry than LCD or AMOLED.
Does it bend?

Serious question.
Yes. Doesn't blend though :p

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay Alex last question for me, and I guess it could apply to the original G Flex as well. Is it awkward taking pictures on a curved phone? Do you have to adjust how you normally snap pictures to compensate for the curve to get a straight picture?