How to unlock or enable SIM?

rikishi

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
In the US, I purchased an AT&T branded, supposedly unlocked LG G Flex 2 (LG-H950) at Newegg (Item 9SIA2KN31H7589, which was then sale priced at $245). I put an Airvoice Wireless (AT&T MVNO) SIM in and was able to make calls and use mobile data with no problem. However, I didn't want to take the time to install apps, migrate data, etc., so I put the SIM back in my old phone.

Two weeks later, I'm in Bangkok trying to use this phone with a True Move H SIM (which works fine in the old phone). Attempting a call, it shows "Emergency calls only". Signal strength bars do appear normally. In Settings->Networks->Tethering & networks, "Mobile networks" is greyed out. I do not see any message about SIM Lock, subsidy code, unlock code, etc, nor any other unexpected error message.

If the SIM is removed, the expected message about no SIM installed is displayed, so I assume that the True SIM is being physically read ok.

Factory reset did not help.

How should I troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Stewart

rikishi

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Did you try speak with a mobile shop (central , MBK etc) or with the True Mobile customer service?
Thanks for the quick reply. I've used a couple of shops at MBK before, with good results. However, I'd like to come in armed with some info as to what may be wrong, e.g. I don't want to pay for an unlock only to discover that's not the problem.

I called the seller -- they are willing to accept a return and refund my payment (big hassle, shipping cost north of $60 from here, would have to start over looking for new phone), but offered no useful support. I called LG -- they looked up the IMEI and said the unit was locked to AT&T. However, the seller's ad says "Unlocked - Will support any GSM Carrier compatible."

I looked at several paid unlock sites. Typical (partial) instructions:
Wait for your phone to read: “Enter unlock/ subsidy code” or “SIM Network Unlock PIN”.
If your LG is not asking for an unlock code and it only reads “Network Locked. Emergency calls only” or “Insert correct SIM card” please contact us.

My phone has never displayed anything about "unlock", "subsidy", "network locked" or "insert correct SIM", The only error message is "Emergency calls only", displayed when attempting to make a call.

My suspicion is that the seller attempted an unlock, but botched it.

Any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting this further?

rikishi

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
After 2 failing attempts, I chatted with an AT&T rep who looked up the IMEI and told me that the phone had been legally unlocked by the seller.

I took it to a True shop and said that I thought their SIM was somehow incompatible. She put a test SIM in the phone and it worked ok, put mine back in and it failed. Then, she made a new SIM with my number, which also worked fine. She couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me what was different from my old SIM. I don't think it is band related; this phone has all the bands that True uses.

Though disappointed to have a 'mystery' fix, I'm glad that the phone is working now.

Thanks,

Stewart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech