Write to SD?

mostlywords

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Anyone figure out how to write to the SD Card? I want to save my podcasts on SD card, but can't even create a folder for them because File Explorer ES doesn't recognize the SD card! Using SanDisk 32gb SDXC.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
You'll have to root, as only the non GPE will allow you to write to the SD card without root. The non GPE has a built-in File Manager that facilitates this.

Posted via Android Central App

Corsair

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about the SD Card on the GPe. I'm considering the LG 8.3 GPe since there doesn't appear to be a Nexus 10 on the horizon. What can the storage on the card be used for if the GPe can't write to it? I may prefer the GPe over the LG GPad 8.3, but I'll need more than 16GB of storage. Am I misunderstanding the availability of the storage?

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a question about the SD Card on the GPe. I'm considering the LG 8.3 GPe since there doesn't appear to be a Nexus 10 on the horizon. What can the storage on the card be used for if the GPe can't write to it? I may prefer the GPe over the LG GPad 8.3, but I'll need more than 16GB of storage. Am I misunderstanding the availability of the storage?

You can either load movies, music or documents onto the SD card via computer, or you can root your GPE and download a File Manager, giving your GPE the ability to write to your card.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4

schalmers617

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

I followed the Post http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g-pad-8-3/349806-sd-card-problems.html#post3369108
referencing URL Fix for Android 4.3 broken SD card writing on the Galaxy S4 GPE that was mentioned as a solution to be able to write to the External SD card of the LG G Pad 8.3 GPE (v510) but unfortunately it is not working for me and I am wondering if anyone has succeeded in getting this to work?

Once I make the described change in the file platform.xml changing (using Ubuntu gedit) :

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
</permission>

TO : (See addition of line <group gid="media_rw" />)

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

I copy the file back to the tablet, verify proper permissions are set on the file rw- r-- r-- , reboot the phone and and have lots of issues:
1) Error messages that multiple applications have stopped working Playstore, Youtube, etc
2) In ES File Explorer I can no longer see Internal storage (it is still visble in recovery)
3) But I can now write to the External SD card
4) Can no longer mount Internal or External storage to PC (MTP mode)

Copying back the original platform.xml file does not resolve the issue, the only solution I have found was to restore my backup system image using TWRP. I have tried 2x and have the same results both times. I am stuck now and if someone who has done this on the LG GPE and tell me what I am doing wrong I would really appreciate the help.

I have uploaded my original and modified platform.xml file if this helps anyone. Extenstions changed to txt to allow upload.

Thank you for you help,
Shaun

Attachments

• platform.orig.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 44
  • platform.modified.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 47

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You can either load movies, music or documents onto the SD card via computer, or you can root your GPE and download a File Manager, giving your GPE the ability to write to your card.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4

Can you do this with Google Play movies and TV shows?

solrac3

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine a week ago and could not believe that such an expensive piece of hardware could have such an issue.

I did some research around the web and found many complains with this device. Owners everywhere are facing the issue where they can read from the SD but cannot write to it. After reading some, I realized that it had nothing to do with "root access" (though you will need it). In reality, the fix provided above by "schalmers617" does resolve the problem. I went ahead and performed the fix with somewhat positive results. I can read/write with ease from the internal to the external SD port (no issues) and apps can also do so.

One issue does remain, if you connect the tablet as an external device, to your PC, and try to write to the external SD port, the transfer fails more than often. Copying straight to it is very, very, very unreliable. I was able to do such transfers by copying DATA to the internal memory and then using a FILE EXPLORER app to complete the move to the external SD.

Again, the fix works without issues. When I say that you "don't need root", I mean it. Once you complete the fix, you can "unroot" your tablet back with the issue solved.

I am very disappointed with Google and their QC. It seems as if they simply (and I am certain of it...) dumped a Nexus 7 2013 image unto the LG G Pad 8.3 GPE without doing any kind of QC Check; just a dump and SOLD AS IS... I mean "AS IS" because you can call Google Tech Support with the issue (which I did 2 times) and (their Tech Support is horrible) and they had no ideas or suggestion other than doing Hard Resets and Reformat.

The LG G Pad 8.3 GPE is an amazing piece of Hardware, it is... What is poor is "Google's Dump An Image And Sell Practice" with this outstanding tablet. What they have done has killed my confidence in their QC Checks. Though my issue is partially fixed, it worries me what will happen with a future upgrade if they simply copy over the OS from the Nexus and into the LG without first realizing that both products have different features...

In Short... to fix the issue, do "schalmers617". Have patience while you do it. It WILL work. I am currently using a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1.

Since I have no PULL on this with Google..., I would like Android Central to take this up the ladder and ask for a fix. The LG G Pad 8.3 GPE needs a fix from Google ASAP. This will become a loud issue...

+2cents

schalmers617

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I am using the same sd card as you and have no issues copying large amounts of data to the card while connected to the pc via USB cable. Verify your card is formatted as exfat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So basically you cannot download any of your pictures from the Photos app or pin any Google Play Music to it without root? Am I reading this correctly? I don't want to have to mess with any settings at the system level. Just not my thing. I guess I need to go with the Nexus 7 to get enough storage.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Or wait for the Nexus 8 in a couple of months. You could also get the original G Pad. It has a file manager and allows you to do what you're looking to do. No rooting needed.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Or wait for the Nexus 8 in a couple of months. You could also get the original G Pad. It has a file manager and allows you to do what you're looking to do. No rooting needed.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Definitely want a stock device, so the original G-Pad is out of the question. This tablet would be perfect if I could just get the SD card written to. If it had 32gb on board, I wouldn't worry as much. But I need that boost with the SD card to conserve space.