LG G Pad 8.3: Really Happy With My GPE

HalM

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Got my G Pad 8.3 GPE yesterday. And I could not be happier. This is a really, really, nice device. I knew I would keep it within an hour. The only other tech piece of hardware I knew I would keep faster was my Nexus 5 phone.

I am probably a lot older than most here but I am an IT consultant, mostly for MS Exchange. As such our clients are always asking us about phones and tablets, and occasionally laptops. It seems that the stars aligned shortly after my Nokia 620 took flying lesson that we started a clean search for phones and tablets, both personally and professionally.

To be upfront, I really wanted the Windows 8 platform to take off. IMO, the interface is the best out there and Nokia makes some great phones. But they pale in comparison to Android and Apple in the depth and breadth of the available apps. So when my Nokia crashed and burned, I reverted to my Galaxy Nexus.

That was about the time the Nexus 7 was released. My trusty Samsung Tab 8.9 was starting to look and feel old, so I bought a 32GB, LTE version. Candidly, this is the best tablet I have ever used. The problem though is that there is simply not enough screen for the way I like to use my tablet. Therefore I started evaluating bigger screen devices.

First my partner bought a new iPad Retina Air. Thus her previous generation Retina iPad became available. We did a factory reset and I used it for a few days. I guess I am just not into the way Apple handles certain things. Desktop organization is one example. I can make my Android or Windows table desktop cleaner and more focused. And to be totally honest, the whole ?fan boy? thing turns me off too.

Windows 8.1 didn?t do a thing to increase the size of the Windows App Store, but a buddy of mine bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro and I got to play with it enough to see that it has real potential. I loved the size, the fact that it could run any Windows app, and the device was perky and smooth. Two things though hurt it. First and always, the app store is not there yet. And second, the screen. Once you have seen either Apple Retina or a Nexus 7, nothing else will do.

So after figuring out that the Venue was not a long term keeper, I went for the G Pad GPE. With updates direct from Google, why would anyone buy anything else? If my 8.9 could have gone to 4.3 or 4.4, I would still be using it.

One nitpick on the 8.3. . . It doesn?t feel as solid in the hand as the Nexus 7. Maybe when my IVSO case comes tomorrow, I won?t feel that way. My only concern is batter life. I don?t feel that it is quite as good as the Nexus 7. I will use it a few more days then do a hard reset and see if that helps. Even if it doesn?t, I am OK with what I am seeing so far.

Great product LG. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

rjrobins

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Really Happy With My GPE

I completely agree. I've had it for over a week now and love it. I got the VOIA Soft Jelly Case for it and it's perfect. I'm a Nexus 7 2012 owner and this blows it out of the water. I too love the touch and feel of the N7 but it's just too small screen size. Was hoping for a Nexus8 or N10 (2) but when it didn't come and this did, I had to pick it up. It's got a great form factor and good speed. The 4.4.2 update came two days after owning. Not bad... Being a LG G2 owner, the only orig. G Pad feature I wish they kept was KnockOn as it is so awesome but having a stock vanilla android 8.3 tablet is ideal.
The battery life for me has been decent. It's not weak and it's not outstanding but just good. I've played for hours at a time and at most 20% drop off. The good part is that the charger for this makes the waiting time much shorter.
I couldn't be happier with this purchase - definitely second your comment "Great product LG. Thank you."

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Yea I'm happy with my purchase as well. I am hoping this tablet will take off after Christmas, but we shall see. For those wanting an 8-inch Nexus tablet, this is pretty much it. I would hope those people put their money where their mouth is.

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site

I bought one to replace my n7 2013. I'm quite happy with it but it looks like there are very few of us buying it.

Posted via Android Central App

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I agree. I feel like if it said Nexus 8 then people would be all over it. There's a stigma about the Google Play Edition devices for some reason.

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site

And what's the difficulty of getting roms made? I thought gpe would at least have talk of cm or aokp, but I only see dev on the 500 nothing for the 510.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Is there a quick/easy way to get movies or TV shows from Google Play to the SD card?

I want this tablet, but I want it for games and movies/shows and I'm not sure if 16gb internal will cut it. Thanks!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Got my G Pad 8.3 GPE yesterday. And I could not be happier. This is a really, really, nice device. I knew I would keep it within an hour. The only other tech piece of hardware I knew I would keep faster was my Nexus 5 phone.

I am probably a lot older than most here but I am an IT consultant, mostly for MS Exchange. As such our clients are always asking us about phones and tablets, and occasionally laptops. It seems that the stars aligned shortly after my Nokia 620 took flying lesson that we started a clean search for phones and tablets, both personally and professionally.

To be upfront, I really wanted the Windows 8 platform to take off. IMO, the interface is the best out there and Nokia makes some great phones. But they pale in comparison to Android and Apple in the depth and breadth of the available apps. So when my Nokia crashed and burned, I reverted to my Galaxy Nexus.

That was about the time the Nexus 7 was released. My trusty Samsung Tab 8.9 was starting to look and feel old, so I bought a 32GB, LTE version. Candidly, this is the best tablet I have ever used. The problem though is that there is simply not enough screen for the way I like to use my tablet. Therefore I started evaluating bigger screen devices.

First my partner bought a new iPad Retina Air. Thus her previous generation Retina iPad became available. We did a factory reset and I used it for a few days. I guess I am just not into the way Apple handles certain things. Desktop organization is one example. I can make my Android or Windows table desktop cleaner and more focused. And to be totally honest, the whole ?fan boy? thing turns me off too.

Windows 8.1 didn?t do a thing to increase the size of the Windows App Store, but a buddy of mine bought a Dell Venue 8 Pro and I got to play with it enough to see that it has real potential. I loved the size, the fact that it could run any Windows app, and the device was perky and smooth. Two things though hurt it. First and always, the app store is not there yet. And second, the screen. Once you have seen either Apple Retina or a Nexus 7, nothing else will do.

So after figuring out that the Venue was not a long term keeper, I went for the G Pad GPE. With updates direct from Google, why would anyone buy anything else? If my 8.9 could have gone to 4.3 or 4.4, I would still be using it.

One nitpick on the 8.3. . . It doesn?t feel as solid in the hand as the Nexus 7. Maybe when my IVSO case comes tomorrow, I won?t feel that way. My only concern is batter life. I don?t feel that it is quite as good as the Nexus 7. I will use it a few more days then do a hard reset and see if that helps. Even if it doesn?t, I am OK with what I am seeing so far.

Great product LG. Thank you.

This post was a little while ago, I was wondering if you could provide a bit of an update for those of us who are looking into possibly getting a GPE G-pad. Thanks!

rjrobins

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

After owning the G Pad 8.3 GPE from day one, I have to say I'm just as happy with it as when I purchased. There are two negatives that I feel need to be mentioned though despite it's numerous positives. The first and most glaring negative to me is the battery life. Coming from a G2 user, I'm saddened that similar technology was not used with the G Pad. Being a Snapdragon 600 vs. an 800 as in the G2 I would have thought the battery life would have been stronger. It's not bad by any means but I do find the battery life drains significantly faster than the G2 and definitely faster than the Nexus 7. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker but it is noticeable. The second negative for me has been the lack of accessories/demand for this device. Message Boards are slim to none for the G Pad GPE and accessories are few and far between. For a device as nice as this it does not have a large ownership base.
I would highly recommend this device to anyone interested in a screen size larger than 7" with pure Google. It's fast, a great form factor, and gets prompt updates. In the end, is there anything else a Google fanatic looks for in a device? Any questions, just ask...

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

After owning the G Pad 8.3 GPE from day one, I have to say I'm just as happy with it as when I purchased. There are two negatives that I feel need to be mentioned though despite it's numerous positives. The first and most glaring negative to me is the battery life. Coming from a G2 user, I'm saddened that similar technology was not used with the G Pad. Being a Snapdragon 600 vs. an 800 as in the G2 I would have thought the battery life would have been stronger. It's not bad by any means but I do find the battery life drains significantly faster than the G2 and definitely faster than the Nexus 7. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker but it is noticeable. The second negative for me has been the lack of accessories/demand for this device. Message Boards are slim to none for the G Pad GPE and accessories are few and far between. For a device as nice as this it does not have a large ownership base.
I would highly recommend this device to anyone interested in a screen size larger than 7" with pure Google. It's fast, a great form factor, and gets prompt updates. In the end, is there anything else a Google fanatic looks for in a device? Any questions, just ask...

Is there no GPS on the GPE version?

When you talk about battery life, what is the main issue? I won't be using it all day every day, so as long as I'm only charging at night a couple times a week, I'll be happy. I'd mainly be using it for some light gaming, reading, and browsing.

I have a Nexus 7 but the screen sensitivity thing worries me, as do some of the other issues. The GPE also seems like it is the perfect size.

rjrobins

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

The GPE does have GPS and it works well. That certainly isn't the problem. It doesn't have NFC though but for me it's not a problem.
I don't mean to scare off anyone in regards to battery life as it's not that bad. It just pulls faster than my G2. I would say I get 2 days moderate use with the GPE.
The size is fantastic. 8.3 vs. 7 is a big difference

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

The GPE does have GPS and it works well. That certainly isn't the problem. It doesn't have NFC though but for me it's not a problem.
I don't mean to scare off anyone in regards to battery life as it's not that bad. It just pulls faster than my G2. I would say I get 2 days moderate use with the GPE.
The size is fantastic. 8.3 vs. 7 is a big difference

Thanks! It doesn't list gps on the sale page on Google Play. I don't need NFC, I never use it on my phone as is. I just can't decide if I want the Nexus or GPE. I'd like the bigger screen, but you lose out on some on board storage. And I also think the build quality is better on the GPE. The other thing is losing Qi charging. I do like that a lot as I have a wireless charger already. But it isn't the end of the world.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I ended up buying one and returning my N7. I love it. It really is a great device. The screen isn't as bright as the N7, but I think it's otherwise just as nice. I have noticed that the brightness turns down a bit after playing games for awhile on full brightness. I honestly think that's to cool off the screen, but who knows. The build quality is head and shoulders above the N7. I had some insane light bleed on that thing. You couldn't watch anything with a dark screen on it without seeing a nice cloud of light bleed. I wish this came in a 32gb variety, but that's a minor issue. It's otherwise a great tablet. I'd say it's the best tablet on the market for Android. I'll check out the Nexus 8 when it comes out, but I would imagine this would be a great tablet for awhile.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I ended up buying one and returning my N7. I love it. It really is a great device. The screen isn't as bright as the N7, but I think it's otherwise just as nice. I have noticed that the brightness turns down a bit after playing games for awhile on full brightness. I honestly think that's to cool off the screen, but who knows. The build quality is head and shoulders above the N7. I had some insane light bleed on that thing. You couldn't watch anything with a dark screen on it without seeing a nice cloud of light bleed. I wish this came in a 32gb variety, but that's a minor issue. It's otherwise a great tablet. I'd say it's the best tablet on the market for Android. I'll check out the Nexus 8 when it comes out, but I would imagine this would be a great tablet for awhile.

I just bought this tablet as well. I liked the N7 except for how narrow the screen felt. This size feels much more appropriate. Only disappointment so far is how iSyncr can't use WiFi sync to get my playlists over. Otherwise it feels and looks great.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I just bought this tablet as well. I liked the N7 except for how narrow the screen felt. This size feels much more appropriate. Only disappointment so far is how iSyncr can't use WiFi sync to get my playlists over. Otherwise it feels and looks great.

I don't even care that this is the most dormant thread in the world, it's a great device!

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't even care that this is the most dormant thread in the world, it's a great device!

Sounds like it. I'm close to buying one myself and retiring my iPad

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like it. I'm close to buying one myself and retiring my iPad

Yeah the one app I was having issues with updated to work great even with the 4.4 SD card issues so now I'm really loving it.

please back away from the screen

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the one app I was having issues with updated to work great even with the 4.4 SD card issues so now I'm really loving it.

please back away from the screen

Ya that's why I'm wanting this instead of the N7 is the SD card slot and I'm done with Samsung. I hate TouchWiz.

drwtsn32

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
If my 8.9 could have gone to 4.3 or 4.4, I would still be using it.
I'm running a Galaxy Tab 8.9 with a custom 4.3 ROM and it works quite well.

I am interested in replacing it with the LG G Pad 8.3 to get better performance though. I'm curious if you or anyone else considered the Verizon LTE variant. I do prefer stock android, so I see the standard LG skin on the Verizon model as being the main negative.