Rooting and installing lollipop AOSP on your LG G Pad 8.3

SmItH197

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
AOSP Lollipop Guide
Screenshot_2015-01-14-22-28-29.jpg
Screenshot_2015-01-14-22-28-44.jpg
Screenshot_2015-01-14-22-29-10.png

Disclaimer: No guarantee this will work for you! I am not responsible for what happens to your tablet, phone or life. This WILL wipe your device (not internal storage) and VOID YOU WARRENTY and may cause permanent damage to your device for which I claim no responsibility.

Before you start go into settings->about tablet and look for a number – in the format “V50020x” (where x is a letter) and make a note of it.

PLEASE NOTE: I have only tested this using my tablet (V50020D – 4.4.2) so results may vary.

Stage 1: Root your LG G Pad 8.3

1.Enable developer options by going to settings->About Tablet-> Tap build number 7 times.
2.Enable USB debugging by going into developer settings and checking the USB debugging box.
3.Plug your tablet into your PC and download/install the LG drivers (http://tool.xcdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=UW00120120425).
4.Download IORoot ([Root][V500] G Pad 4.4.2 Stock w/ IOroot25 [… | LG G Pad 8.3 | XDA Forums) and unzip it.
5.Open up the unzipped folder and open up a new command prompt window (shift+right click-> new command prompt) and type “adb devices”, your device should be listed.
6.Now type “adb reboot recovery”.
7. Use the volume rocker to go down and select “apply update from adb” using the power button.
8.Use the command “adb sideload kk_root.zip”.
9. Wait until the process has finished (you should see “DAT ROOT”.
10.Restart the tablet

Stage 2: Install TWRP

1.Download the zip file from: Dev-Host - V50020_aboot_twrp_v2.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service and unzip it.
2.A) if your model is “V50020D” right click and select edit on the .bat file. If not skip to step 3
B) find the following:

Code:
if /I %MODEL%==LG-V500 (
			if /I %FWBUILD%==KOT49I.V50020a (
				GOTO CheckSU
			)
			if /I %FWBUILD%==[b]KOT49I.V50020b[/b] (
				GOTO CheckSU
			)
		)

And change it to:

Code:
if /I %FWBUILD%==KOT49I.V50020a (
				GOTO CheckSU
			)
			if /I %FWBUILD%==[b]KOT49I.V50020d[/b] (
				GOTO CheckSU
			)

Save and close.

3.Run the .bat file and wait for the tablet to reboot.

Stage 3: Install AOSP ROM + GAPPS

4.Download the ROM (Dev-Host - aosp_v500-ota-eng.adrianomartins_20150106.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service) and google apps package (https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/TKruzze/Android 5.0.1 GApps) . I chose Full-modular, I haven't tried the others. Put both zips on your tablets internal storage.
5. Run “adb reboot recovery” (stage 1 step 5/6).
6.Immediately after the screen goes black, pull out the cable (for unknown reasons)
7.Click wipe and swipe to confirm
8.Click install and select the ROM zip (AOSP_v500 etc .zip) then add the GAPPS zip to the queue. Swipe to confirm and install.
9.Reboot your tablet.
10.You should now boot into lollipop! Please note that the first boot WILL take a long time.

Last edited:

ShiftyF9

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Can confirm that this works as advertised. The new OS is really zippy and responsive. Thanks!

Only negative to report is an appalling amount of spam/bloat-/mal-ware that was installed by the various packages. Spent close to 30min scrubbing my PC of them ... and not at all confident that I found it all. :-(

UPDATE: a month and a half later, I've finally finished scrubbing all the malware from my machine. Beware!!

Last edited:

ShiftyF9

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I've been using it a couple months and can't report any issues. Can't speak as to how it compares to the stock OS, as I rooted it just after buying it second hand.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for guidance.
I have, LG version and not Google version.
So I can not get CWM Recovery or TWRP Recovery to work.
I've tried to get TWRP Recovery on, but now this does not work.
Error.
Secure booting Error!
Cause: Device UrLock, so Boot Sucess !!
Must somehow I came into TWRP once, but now it will no more
I have stock LG kitkat 4.2.2 - V50020d.
Is there anyone who can help ??

BeeVee23

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Great guide and I'm following, but my GPad is a standard V500 from Amazon, so I get:

Code:
DEVICE CHECK FAILED!!
MODEL: LG-V500  FWBUILD: KOT49I.V50020d FWVER: 4.4.2

Script will now exit to avoid damage to your device!!!

I've completed up to this step. Any advice? I'd really like Lollipop on this tablet like the rest of my android devices.

B

Mirek Goldberg

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
My build is 20f. Should I skip 2. A) & B) and go directly to 3. ?
You wrote "Put both zips on your tablets internal storage". Which directory / fokder on rooted device?
After the AOSP Lollipop 5.02 is installed, would all LG specific firmware and internal storage-located LG preinstalled software be wiped and / or non-functional?

Kym H

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi Mirek - Did you ever get an answer for this and manage to install Lollipop 5.xx on your V50020f ???
I have the same specs.

Regards Kym H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49