LG G Pad 8.3 Hands-On

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

h3ndr1x

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, buy the best tablet which is the G Pad. Even if the Note 8 gets every software update the build, size, screen etc.. will still be better on the G Pads.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

That was the plan, I feel like it's a gamble to keep this tab, God knows if it will ever see 4.3 let alone kit Kat....that leaves rooting, but as of now xda didn't even have a forum for the g pad. But Damon this tab is nice....don't feel I would be happy w note either. Just gonna sit tight for now and hope this tab picks up some speed.

Posted via Android Central App

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I love the g pad, it's fast, the screen is ridiculous...so clear, what worries me is that there are no cases one, and two lg is known for no software updates, I want to keep it but after all the things I have read about promotions and how best buy didn't know the tab even existed makes me really nervous, I am debating taking it back to get the note 8, not because it's a better tab, but because I will know it will most likely be supported in the future, any words of encouragement?

It depends on what you mean by support. If you want constant updates and a smaller screen stick with the N7. Frankly I got a little tired of the updates on my N7.1 breaking favorite apps and root, so I'm over the desire for constant updates. This is a great tablet and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I was able to root day one. I don't do any romming so that's not an issue. I just need basic root. This thing is fast and beautiful with a bigger screen compared to my N7.1.

The book cover I ordered from Amazon isn't due until early December, sadly. But I can wait. I'm just using an extra gnote 10.1 sleeve lying around. The slimport adapter I bought works great. Covers will come eventually, just keep checking Ebay.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk 4

Invisible J

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Haha that's awesome! You should sell them.

There are a few cases on amazon, just takes 15 days to ship lol. I Pre ordered the eve case one. Should be here before Thanksgiving. Until then mine is wrapped in a microfiber towel, the kind for cleaning wax off your car lol.

Thanks! I drew a template and ran it through a laser cutter to make the front and back pieces out of ABS plastic, then wrapped them in cloth. I just used spray adhesive for the cloth because my sewing skills suck, LMAO.

I ordered the VOIA shell that Aredubu has, I'm going to try making a front cover for that - hopefully it will turn out a bit cleaner than what I have now. VOIA has a folio cover similar to what I'm trying to build; but it puts the hardware volume/power buttons on the bottom when in high angle position - not a huge deal, but something I like to avoid if possible. Their case doesn't look very stable in the high angle position, either. All that with a $60 price tag? No way.

Anyway - if anyone would like to try making their own case, I can cut the plastic and mail it to you; shouldn't be more than around $15 including shipping cost.

If anyone has enough faith in my novice upholstery skills (and you like tan - because that's the only color fabric I have, lol), I may be able to turn out a few complete cases, but they would probably run around $30-$40 due to the extra time and material involved.

lwood11

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
That was the plan, I feel like it's a gamble to keep this tab, God knows if it will ever see 4.3 let alone kit Kat....that leaves rooting, but as of now xda didn't even have a forum for the g pad. But Damon this tab is nice....don't feel I would be happy w note either. Just gonna sit tight for now and hope this tab picks up some speed.

Personally, I like to root every Android device I get, whether I update the software or not. Rooting allows you to get around any restrictions you run into and allows you to customize things, freeze bloatware, etc. Since LG has already released the source code for this device, I think that it's likely that developers will cook up a tweaked stock ROM to remove bloatware, etc., at the very least. Having the source code available also increases the chances that there will be a CM AOSP ROM developed, as well.

Really, given the realistic life span of devices, these days, you would not likely get very many major updates before the device is obsolete, anyway.

h3ndr1x

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what you mean by support. If you want constant updates and a smaller screen stick with the N7. Frankly I got a little tired of the updates on my N7.1 breaking favorite apps and root, so I'm over the desire for constant updates. This is a great tablet and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I was able to root day one. I don't do any romming so that's not an issue. I just need basic root. This thing is fast and beautiful with a bigger screen compared to my N7.1.

The book cover I ordered from Amazon isn't due until early December, sadly. But I can wait. I'm just using an extra gnote 10.1 sleeve lying around. The slimport adapter I bought works great. Covers will come eventually, just keep checking Ebay.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah I have decided to ride the storm, I'm sick of the same old manufacturers getting all the hype, LG has made a comeback with this tablet, wish more people will see it. I also noticed that it looks like the roll out is slow and a lot of sites have different release dates for this tab, could be a stock issue? I dunno...but yeah I'm keeping it. As far as cases I did have a similar problem when I had the note 10.1, I got it pretty much a week after it was released and cases were very scarce, it took almost a full month for them to start rolling out.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have until new years to return to BB so I'm going to hang in for now and see if promotion and sales start happening and cases hit the market. Its a GREAT tablet. Only downside to me is battery time which could be better. Hopefully there will be a price drop for the holidays.

mrstarzan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what the chances are of LG following up with a Snap 800 Gpad? I'm so impressed with my G2's battery usage that I'd rather get a tab with the 800.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

cderrick14

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I was at my local Futureshop the other day looking for this tablet, or any info regarding it. The clerk had no idea what it was, tried to sell my an apple or Samsung product instead. All I could see was Idevices and aisles of ipad accessories. It's really annoying that quality product are flat out ignored by the big retailers.
Half the Android tablets on display were not even working! Absolutely crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what the chances are of LG following up with a Snap 800 Gpad? I'm so impressed with my G2's battery usage that I'd rather get a tab with the 800.

What difference are you really hoping for though? In day to day use the difference is negligible.. My N5 with a S800 runs no quicker than my N4 with a S4 Pro

On a seperate note I do wish LG would pull their finger out and start updating their devices, every other manufacturer is doing it but LG seems to just give you 1 update if your lucky and then your device is shelved.

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I was at my local Futureshop the other day looking for this tablet, or any info regarding it. The clerk had no idea what it was, tried to sell my an apple or Samsung product instead. All I could see was Idevices and aisles of ipad accessories. It's really annoying that quality product are flat out ignored by the big retailers.
Half the Android tablets on display were not even working! Absolutely crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Seems to be the case... everywhere. Companies just push Apple/Samsung products as they're the 2 most well known 'brands'. I heard a few people talking in work about what phone should they get for an upgrade and instantly people said 'Galaxy S4/iPhone 5s' regardless of all the other great handsets out there. No one could specifically state why just that they're 'the best'.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Rumors point to the new nexus tablet. We'll see how that goes

mrstarzan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Running quicker isn't really what I'm after as much as optimizing the battery. I have no doubts the S600 is sufficient for my needs in a tab. Would just hate to have the S800 show up right after getting this one. But, it is LG so maybe I shouldn't even be concerned, LOL. I've always had a better tablet than phone...until now. Just seems weird to go backwards in processor with a new device.

Geordie_Ahmed

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Signed up to post that I have ordered this tablet. Was interested in it from the moment it was revealed and the positive reviews from you guys convinced me to go ahead with it

I was initially going to go for the N7 BUT I won an iPad Mini at work, using that convinced me that the N7 was going to be too small and keeping the iPad Mini was not an option so this was the best choice

I ordered this from Asda Direct, managed to get it for ?229, will arrive on Wednesday. If any UK based people are interested in buying this then that is the best place to get it at this moment , it was ?249 BUT ordering before 12th November gave a ?20 discount

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1