My $259 LG G Pad running 4.4.2 Kitkat, no reason to buy the GPe if you already have one

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So i paid $259 for my G Pad and almost sold it the other day to buy a GPe, now we have no need, now that CM11 has ironed out the wrinkles with the Audio, Wifi and SD Card, its amazing, no need to sell up and go buy the GPe, you can get Kitkat running on your G Pad right now, i threw the GE Launcher on it and its just like my Nexus 5 was but in 8.3 inch tablet form, its blazing fast, has no system lag like the LG rom has, if you was thinking of getting one of these but wanted the stock Google version then save some cash and buy the regular version, its super easy to root, simple enough to add recovery (TWRP) and super simple to flash, dont forget to make a nandroid before you flash CM11 just in case you dont like it and want to go back to stock, and another good thing about this tablet is that if you mange to bork it while flashing its really simple to factory restore with the guide on xda

Anyways here is Kit Kat 4.4.2 with Gel on the G Pad

2013-12-13 08.35.23.jpg
2013-12-13 08.35.43.jpg
2013-12-13 08.35.54.jpg

I`ll try get a video up later showing you around CM11 of this device for people that have not used it

Here is CM11 and Gapps http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2565163

Here is TWRP http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2551499

Here is Root http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2553192

And this is how to restore to factory if needed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2543350

Seems this is one of those almost unbrickable devices, i say almost as im sure at least one person somewhere will figure out how to brick their own :)

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I may give it a go this evening.

EDIT: As tempted as I am I might just wait for CM11 to roll stable. My gp is working just fine and I'm not aware of the lag Angry noted.

I do wonder though. Will you be able to update OTA to CM11 stable or will you have to reflash?

Last edited:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
This is awesome. I myself will wait for a mfg. Release, but will revert to this if none appears by end of Q1

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I never said it was, but neither is the version on the nexus if we are going to be that picky, aosp is stock

Posted via Android Central App

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, even CM on its best day (build) isnt as stable as stock. I have been flashing CM for years and want something that just works now.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, even CM on its best day (build) isnt as stable as stock. I have been flashing CM for years and want something that just works now.

I have CM on two of my phones now for over 3 weeks and haven't experienced any crashes or reboots on either device. No lag or lockups. No strange behavior that I'm aware of. What else would constitute stability...or lack thereof?

gp8.3

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the new nightly on my G Pad now and no issues neither, pretty sure this will be a stable release soon, when cm releases a stable release its usually called that for a reason

Posted via Android Central App

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
KInda wish I had jumped on the Newegg deal for $179 but there was virtually no development for it. In hindsight I should have purchased a couple at that price to sell or gift. Having an N7 made it hard to justify another tablet with specs so close. It would have been nice to see how the G2 and GPad worked together with their stock LG firmwares though.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
That ship has sailed. New Egg or BB offered them at that price recently. Now they're back up to $329.99.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk 4

deanmcenaney

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine is on it's way from Newegg, was a Deal of the day for $279.99 then another $28 off if you signed up for their masterpass setup
so with $4 for 3 day shipping to get it here for xmas was $255 delivered

rumatt

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Still 299 on newegg at least. For now anyway

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Cool thanks.

Newegg doesn't allow returns without a restocking fee though right? (for non-defective items). Best Buy is pretty good about it so I generally buy from them. I'm guessing the price will go down again soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci